PODCAST: CW & TJ Otzelberger

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Great listen as always. The chemistry between CW and TJ on the podcast can challenge the chemistry between CW and Blum.

I really like TJ's approach to the transfer players (in and out), which is to think on their behalf, be honest from the start, don't force them to do things that are not in their best interest with life lessons or false promises, and most importantly, do your best to make the program better and earn their trust. This way TJ can build a much stronger foundation with players who want to be here.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
This morning I watched the George Niang piece the Cyclone Network did on his career and I gotta say, I'd be happy to get back there, having those types of players, with Niangs type of attitude and winning big games again.

Reactions: NWICY and t-noah

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
I chuckled to myself by how taken aback TJ was when CW dropped the KJ Bluford name reference. Probably a name TJ hasn't heard in close to a decade and not one you'd ever expect to hear again.

Great listen - loved how informal it was, but I felt like that led to some real answers and not just generic "coach speak" like you often get. Good stuff

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I’ve never really listened to him before. Firstly, he seems great. Secondly, his Voice surprised me.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I hold TJ retires here so he can entertain us taking the piss out of the central Iowa sports media for a long time.
It's just a matter of time. I'm waiting for a good Johnny Orr-esque type quote from TJ. He's got it in him. He's just a little less 'rough-around-the-edges' than Johnny was.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I like it. Wasn't initially sold on TJ, but yea. Let's freaking goooooo!!

One thing that is for sure is that he is comfortable answering questions. After listening, I can see how he is such a good recruiter. Knows where everybody came from... etc. Smart guy.

Reactions: t-noah

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
They talk about 6 guys that stayed & 4 transfers & Hunter. I thought we only have 1 scholarship left open. Who are the other 3?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They talk about 6 guys that stayed & 4 transfers & Hunter. I thought we only have 1 scholarship left open. Who are the other 3?

We have two open right now.

6 returning
4 transfers
1 freshman
= 11

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
If he succeeds we have a lifer. If he fails, well...it can’t be worse than 0-18. Everything he’s done so far has been about as good as you can ask for. Really hope this works out.
Yup, I wasn't completely thrilled with how the hiring "process" played out, but was excited for TJ for that reason only. IF he is successful here (could be a big if), he will be here til he retires and it'll be sweet to finally have that at ISU. I'm rooting hard for him, seems like a great guy