Podcast about Social Media

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What does it say about me that I listen to the CF podcast about social media and come on the forum looking for a thread in which to discuss it?
It is a really interesting podcast. I love the way that CF is serving its audience in so many ways. CDubs is dragging me forward into more social media (and backward because now I listen to sports talk radio again).

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
For my part, I like the newsletter thing for casual fans, I get some financial newsletters through email every week that I like so I don't have to seek out new things that pertain to me, can just have a link and a short description to see if it interests me.

Social media wise, I'm pretty much just a Snapchatter nowadays. I use Twitter solely for following recruiting, don't get on my personal one much. Snapchat is not a very friendly medium for media type stuff.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I hope CF can do whatever it takes to remain viable in this quickly shifting landscape. The good news is there is an extremely loyal tribe around ISU athletics that loves to gather. With the low barriers to entry offered by many of these platforms it seems to make sense to try a bunch of things and quickly abandon those that don't work and ride the wave for as long as possible with those that do. The Pinterest thing was pretty funny.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I hope there will always be a place for long-form journalism, particularly for information that needs to endure beyond the few moments of attention given to almost everything being communicated in the new social media tools.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I just listened to the podcast and just realized how old I'm getting. I am all for cyclonefanatic expanding where ever they need to in order to gain new viewership and move to what's trendy, but at the same time I'm sad that I don't want to go 15 places to get all of their content.

I heard about Chris's daily facebook notes that you don't see here, I don't use twitter, and adding other platforms like instagram and newsletters just decentralizes content even more.

If someone has a good content aggregator to bring this all into one feed I'd love to hear what you use.

And wtf, newsletters are popular again on the internet? I have not heard this. So trends online are starting to go cyclical like fashion? Newsletters were cool back in the mid 90s.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I just listened to the podcast and just realized how old I'm getting. I am all for cyclonefanatic expanding where ever they need to in order to gain new viewership and move to what's trendy, but at the same time I'm sad that I don't want to go 15 places to get all of their content.

I heard about Chris's daily facebook notes that you don't see here, I don't use twitter, and adding other platforms like instagram and newsletters just decentralizes content even more.

If someone has a good content aggregator to bring this all into one feed I'd love to hear what you use.

And wtf, newsletters are popular again on the internet? I have not heard this. So trends online are starting to go cyclical like fashion? Newsletters were cool back in the mid 90s.

I don't think adding new places to profile our content will really decentralize anything.

Specifically, nothing we put on Instagram will be something you can't find here. It is about finding ways to reach new people. People on Instagram are generally younger and that is a demo we are hoping to reach more.

It is more about getting our name in front of more people than it is about spreading everything we do across a bunch of different platforms.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

Good news about the Daily Facebook thing is starting this summer, we are going to have a SWEET video page. Working on it now. Literally every video we post anywhere will show up on it. Not only that but we'll have a CF Roku page, Apple.TV page and more. Been a process but I'm excited about it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Hopefully it works better than the Cyclones.TV Roku app. It streams well but none of the dated content can be opened. Will certainly download the Roku app.