Playing Iowa's offense

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
As we know and have known Iowa's offense is not complex..they do what they do and with a good QB are very effective at doing it...Wts, you watch Miami Ohio game and a lot of last years games and you notice a trend..CJB doesn't really throw the ball past 10 yds. Heck I'd say prob 70% of his passes last week were short dump passes. Iowa almost wants teams to blitz as those screen passes and dump offs to the RB's and TE's can kill you if you blitz to often.

Obviously the first key to beating iowa is slowing down the run. But even during obvious pass plays where teams may want to blitz ISU will have to be careful who the blitz with and when. I think Heacock seems to like to blitz and my hope is that maybe we see corner blitz or safety blitz so the LB's can stay home and cover those RB's and TE's because I'd say at least 50% of all Iowa 3rd down pass plays get thrown to the RB or TE's..It's the same thing every game and every year. On 3rd down cover the TE and RB's and if you shut down those two spots in the passing game you have a very good chance at shutting down Iowa's offense. Easier said than done. It's actually an offense (good I can't believe I'm saying this) that ISU should mirror in the big 12..Run the fball and use positions on 3rd down pass plays that most teams just don't account for most times and that is FB, RB's and TE's out for passes.

Vanderberg is a very solid WR.Kinda reminds me of Josh Lenz or Lane Daneilson type WR but maybe not as fast. But this is an area where I think the ISU defense might have a slight advantage and that is the ISU secondary vs Iowa's WR's. Hopefully in this game we don't lose our best Dlineman and Safety before halftime like last year.

I just don't see CJB killing us with his legs like he did game 2 last year where he wasn't banged up yet..I still think he's favoring that knee and while he still can move I don't think he's as mobile as he was. He's certainly not Bailey running the ball.

I'd like to see us start the game in a 4-3 with Harvey, Northrup, and McMillion at LB. Both Harvery and Northrup have good speed for LBs and it just seemed like McMillion was in the right spot when he played last week.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
What you saw from Iowa against Miami (OH) was about as vanilla as it gets, minus the little flea flicker and end around they ran with Jerminic Smith.

The offense could run the ball at will last Saturday. I am not saying you are completely wrong in your assessment but to come to those conclusions based solely on last weeks game probably isnt the best diagnosis of the Iowa team.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
A couple of things. Iowa basically ignored the tight end last Saturday. One throw to Kittle. I can't believe it was to deceive ISU or later opponents, as they have throw to the tight end for almost two decades and I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to believe they are going away from it this year. Maybe Miami just covered Kittle well. Maybe Iowa wanted to emphasize the WR position, at any rate, there was little use of the tight ends.

Also, against Miami, the WR position caught nine passes compared to only four for the RB position. I don't how you can say that is 50%.

Vandenberg is plenty fast. Just because he is a white guy doesn't mean he isn't fast. A footrace between him and Lazard would be interesting. Lazard is bigger, more physical, and a better receiver, but I'm not sure he's as fast as Vandenberg. Doesn't really matter as they won't line up against each other.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What you saw from Iowa against Miami (OH) was about as vanilla as it gets, minus the little flea flicker and end around they ran with Jerminic Smith.

The offense could run the ball at will last Saturday. I am not saying you are completely wrong in your assessment but to come to those conclusions based solely on last weeks game probably isnt the best diagnosis of the Iowa team.

Yeah, Iowa will look like a completely different team this week. I don't think Iowa even prepped for Miami, either that or they were looking ahead for this week. I expect trick plays and lots of play action deep passes

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As we know and have known Iowa's offense is not complex..they do what they do and with a good QB are very effective at doing it...Wts, you watch Miami Ohio game and a lot of last years games and you notice a trend..CJB doesn't really throw the ball past 10 yds. Heck I'd say prob 70% of his passes last week were short dump passes. Iowa almost wants teams to blitz as those screen passes and dump offs to the RB's and TE's can kill you if you blitz to often.

Obviously the first key to beating iowa is slowing down the run. But even during obvious pass plays where teams may want to blitz ISU will have to be careful who the blitz with and when. I think Heacock seems to like to blitz and my hope is that maybe we see corner blitz or safety blitz so the LB's can stay home and cover those RB's and TE's because I'd say at least 50% of all Iowa 3rd down pass plays get thrown to the RB or TE's..It's the same thing every game and every year. On 3rd down cover the TE and RB's and if you shut down those two spots in the passing game you have a very good chance at shutting down Iowa's offense. Easier said than done. It's actually an offense (good I can't believe I'm saying this) that ISU should mirror in the big 12..Run the fball and use positions on 3rd down pass plays that most teams just don't account for most times and that is FB, RB's and TE's out for passes.

Vanderberg is a very solid WR.Kinda reminds me of Josh Lenz or Lane Daneilson type WR but maybe not as fast. But this is an area where I think the ISU defense might have a slight advantage and that is the ISU secondary vs Iowa's WR's. Hopefully in this game we don't lose our best Dlineman and Safety before halftime like last year.

I just don't see CJB killing us with his legs like he did game 2 last year where he wasn't banged up yet..I still think he's favoring that knee and while he still can move I don't think he's as mobile as he was. He's certainly not Bailey running the ball.

I'd like to see us start the game in a 4-3 with Harvey, Northrup, and McMillion at LB. Both Harvery and Northrup have good speed for LBs and it just seemed like McMillion was in the right spot when he played last week.

CJ doesn't throw the deep ball just because he didn't need to last week against a very poor Miami of Ohio team? Ok, got it.

Comparing Vandenberg to a couple of white ISU WR's, really?

And it's McMillen for ISU at LB, not McMillion.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009

Taking much from one game is hard to do, on either side. Iowa State will be different this week than they were against UNI, as will Iowa. Iowa ran zero bootlegs last week, and really didn't have to do much down the field due to running the ball so well. Don't know about Beathard's mobility yet as Iowa ran no bootlegs and the one opportunity where Beathard was out of the pocket he elected to throw a check down to Wadley rather than running. I hope it's due to not risking anything based on who the opponent was.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Beathard is completely healthy.

It is going to be very different for ISU this week playing against two TE's and FBs. They didn't build their defense to play against teams like Iowa so I am not sure how they will hold up in the run game.

I would be very careful about blitzing Beathard. Smart, senior QB who can run and who can get the ball out in a hurry. He could really make you pay. And they didn't need to throw the ball deep. The RBs were averaging 10 yards a carry.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It's hard to say exactly how ISU's defense will play Iowa's offense this year given a new coaching staff, but they've basically used the same strategy for over a decade and considering it's generally been effective I don't think they'll be going in a different direction this year.

They'll load up the line of scrimmage and crash hard to whatever side the QB opens up to. They'll bring the blitz a lot and play man to man on the receivers betting that the QB won't have enough time in the pocket to burn them with deep passes.

Reactions: breck53

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010
Vandenberg is plenty fast. Just because he is a white guy doesn't mean he isn't fast. A footrace between him and Lazard would be interesting. Lazard is bigger, more physical, and a better receiver, but I'm not sure he's as fast as Vandenberg. Doesn't really matter as they won't line up against each other.

nfldraftscout.com 40 times has VandeBerg with slightly faster times, which doesn't surprise me. Lazard weighs 40 pounds more than MVB.

Name: Matt VandeBerg
40 Low: 4.44 40 Time: 4.54 40 High: 4.64
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1006312&draftyear=2017&genpos=WR

Name: Allen Lazard
40 Low: 4.48 40 Time: 4.58 40 High: 4.68
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=130803&draftyear=2018&genpos=WR

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Couple things...My iowa offense analysis had nothing to do with Miami of Ohio game really I've watched iowa games for 30 years..not much has changed. So that's first..Vandy at WR I never compared to Lazard..Vandy is faster..I also never said Vandy wasn't fast..I said he's a very good WR but doesn't have elite speed and I said prob not as fast as J lenz but reminds me of him a little which is a compliment believe me..

Iowa runs the ball...Outside of that they rarely throw the ball past 10 yds..that's just a fact. Now...CJB is more than capable of chucking it deep and they do a few times a game usually on play action but most passes are short and effective if not frustrating for opponents.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hand off to Weismann, pitch to Weismann, play action to TE deep middle seam. First down. Repeat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron