Players staying and leaving for 21-22 season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Part of that is we don't have a QB that can accurately throw the long ball. In Milton's first game back (I forget the opponent) Milton has coverage beat TWICE (at least those were the ones we threw on) and Purdy missed those throws both times. If you go back and watch his freshman campaign Butler simply went up and got everything that was underthrown. For whatever reason, Brock lacks the accuracy on those throws.

We don't have Lazards or Butlers around anymore to win every 50/50 ball. But as we see teams sell out to stop Hall we're going to see more over the top one on one opportunities. Besides Hutchinson, Shaw and Milton I'm guessing Porter is going to get some snaps to take advantage of his track speed.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
To me the only weakness of this team is explosive plays, aside from the occasional Breece long run. We just don’t have the receiver to take the top off the defense. However, I expect a lot of wins like the Oregon game where we methodically wear the opponent down.
The plan, the process....whatever we all want to call it.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
We don't have Lazards or Butlers around anymore to win every 50/50 ball. But as we see teams sell out to stop Hall we're going to see more over the top one on one opportunities. Besides Hutchinson, Shaw and Milton I'm guessing Porter is going to get some snaps to take advantage of his track speed.
Hutch made a couple of badass catches in 2020.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Agreed.

There were also less opportunities for those then last year because we didn’t need them. If Campbell can slowly choke the life out of you with Breece and short TE passes and eat up clock, he’s gonna take that 10/10 times.

I'm so excited for next season. Next year I think Daniel Jackson is going to break out to be are deep threat. He looked really good until he got hurt. Also, Porter will get some meaningful reps next season. From what I heard they just want him to put on about 10lbs this offseason to be able to take hits. Hopefully Andrews can make that happen. I've never been so excited for a Iowa State team to take the field.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm so excited for next season. Next year I think Daniel Jackson is going to break out to be are deep threat. He looked really good until he got hurt. Also, Porter will get some meaningful reps next season. From what I heard they just want him to put on about 10lbs this offseason to be able to take hits. Hopefully Andrews can make that happen. I've never been so excited for a Iowa State team to take the field.
Hopefully we have spring ball and a full fall camp for these guys to develop...

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and Acylum

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Yeah, but it won't matter if the QB keeps missing them. If Purdy could connect on even 50% more of those throws (1-2 a game) it would be huge.

jrastrel

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
Brock has the ability throw the deep ball. In 2018, we were a big play offense and many of those were deep balls. A lot of them were down the seams and some were to Milton. There were some that were underthrown and butler needed to make big plays on but many were dimes and guys were hit in stride. A lot of the long throws were when Brock was scrambling as well which are difficult throws to make. The highlights are a lot of fun to watch so I'd encourage you to watch on youtube if you haven't.

This is all speculation from my arm chair QB so take it with a grain of salt. But I would guess that Milton was probably going to be our main big play receiver coming into this season since he has the most speed and has done it in the past with brock. With him going down early on and the minimal spring/fall camp, we were searching for another guy to step up during the season. We took a couple of chances throwing a few deep balls to Scates but he wasn't able to get much separation and I think a couple were even picked off. Rather than forcing the big play/turnover, we just focused on what we were able to execute the best and it worked out pretty well.

Brock definitely can improve his deep ball and the vision to see the open receiver down the field. Hopefully Milton can return to his form from a couple of years ago. Seeing him at the end of the season, he didn't seem like he was anywhere close to 100%. Hopefully with more reps in spring/fall, Brock can develop some more chemistry with the other guys as well. This offense could be so scary if the big pass play can get back into play. Being 50% on the long ball might be wishful thinking. If he can just be around 33% and not have turnovers on those plays we would be in good shape.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Based on the depth chart for the Fiesta Bowl...

... and start data from current depth chart (starts do not include Fiesta Bowl):

It looks like we return:

OFFENSE:

24 of 28 on the offensive 2 deep
-Kene Nwangwu (3 starts)
-Johnnie Lang (5 starts)
-Dylan Soehner (16 starts)
-Landon Akers (4 starts)

11 of 12 "Starters" (first player listed)
-Dylan Soehner (16 starts)

Combined the Offensive 2-deep has 238 total starts, we return 210 of them (88.2%). The 12 starters have 186 combined starts, we return 170 of them (91.4%).

DEFENSE:

19 of 24 players on the Defensive 2 deep
-JaQuan Bailey (48 starts)
-Josh Bailey (1 start)
-Lawrance White (30 starts)
-Arnold Azunna (3 starts)
-Latrell Bankston (1 start)

10 of 12 Starters
-JaQuan Bailey (48 starts)
-Lawrance White (30 starts)

Combined the defensive 2 deep has 299 starts, we return 216 (72.%). The defensive starters have 277 starts we return 199 (71.8%).

OVERALL:

43 of 52 players off the 2 deep return
21 of 24 starters return
426 of 537 (79.3%) combined starts from players on the 2 deep return
369 of 463 (79.7%) combined starts from our starters return

Attachments

• ISU Depth Chart 2020.pdf
    431.1 KB · Views: 6

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Answered this in another thread, but many underthrown deep balls create a jump ball situation. That is, but defender and receiver stop, gather, and go up for the ball. On those type of plays Butler RARELY failed to come down with the ball. It was probably his specialty while he was here.

There was rarely a time where Purdy has thrown the ball 35+ yards in the air and hit a receiver in stride. Most of the big plays to Butler were underthrown balls. Given his success rate part of that could have been by design, but based on what we've seen since I'm thinking much (if not most) was due to Brock's arm strenght/deep ball accuracy issues.

• Dumb
Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
On the podcast, CW said that it’s “known” that Corey Dunn is coming back, but not Joe Rivera. Can anyone confirm?

I did notice that they changed Corey’s number to 0 on the Cyclones.com roster before the Bowl.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
What's crazy is that even without the Covid rules playing a part of this, most of us knew 2021 was going to be the year where we really had a chance at the Big 12 Championship. Well, it happened a little earlier than expected this year. We just happened to fall one drive short of it.

Now here we are. Buckle up, this is gonna be fun!

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I miss Butler, wow!

The thing I have noticed with Purdy, and it isn’t rocket science, is he has a tendency to throw off his back foot.......A LOT. Having a guy like Butler (tall, athletic, fast, big catch radius) can help compensate for an under thrown ball.

The key is giving Purdy a clean pocket with room to step into his throws. The balls that hit Hakeem in stride in that video he has that space to put his full body into it and you see the results. Unfortunately, the opposite is true as well......get in his face and get him to move sideways the ball will float on him (this happened on quite a few of his interceptions). He has the ability to throw accurately on the run but I think at the expense of distance (again not rocket science).

Hopefully something he can work on in the off season overall arm/shoulder strength. Developing that deep ball “eraser” wouldn’t hurt either.

Last edited:
Reactions: HardcoreClone

EJ4CY

Feb 11, 2007
Lenexa KS
Uh...wut?

Regardless if Charlie Kolar coming back, Chase Allen is. With Easton Dean and DeShawn Hanika both very athletic, and Tyler Moore coming in as an early enrollee, the TE room has no issues whatsoever, regardless of what Charlie does or doesn’t do.

Given that Loving-Black has been a nonentity all year on the sidelines (and apparently social media), I’m guessing that something else is going on that has his full attention more than simple playing time.

And...we have plenty of talented young wideouts.
What I was saying was that if Chase is alone at TE (which he isn't) I would expect a shift in the offense. Alot of 12-13 personnel aided in our run game and if CA was the only returner our offense would not be 100% the same. Yes we played multiple WR's however I think you can agree with me that it is our weakest group on offense currently.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The key is giving Purdy a clean pocket with room to step into his throws.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.
As much as we love his escapability and pump-faking fools, Brock is at his best passing when he is clean and clear. Most of his picks (especially the WTF ones) are when he is running around being chased and trying to do too much. Like every other QB ever.