Players staying and leaving for 21-22 season

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
So to summarize we just finished in the top ten and our biggest question marks on the starting line up are...

1) Can we replace one of our three tight ends?

and

2) Can the nations sack leader move into a starting role?
I would say our biggest question mark heading into next season is the kicking game. Both long fg’s and kickoffs.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
I would say our biggest question mark heading into next season is the kicking game. Both long fg’s and kickoffs.
To me the only weakness of this team is explosive plays, aside from the occasional Breece long run. We just don’t have the receiver to take the top off the defense. However, I expect a lot of wins like the Oregon game where we methodically wear the opponent down.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
No, I'm saying he should appear on at least one of the categories listed. If he hasn't said he is a "significant player TBD".
I can’t see any reason an underclassman should be listed. Scates was unnecessary, but apparently made some people happy.

If I wanted to worry about someone right now, it would be someone like Grant Treiber—and I still don’t see any reason to play up that possibility by putting him on tat list.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I can’t see any reason an underclassman should be listed. Scates was unnecessary, but apparently made some people happy.

If I wanted to worry about someone right now, it would be someone like Grant Treiber—and I still don’t see any reason to play up that possibility by putting him on tat list.
Guys like Treiber need to look at the big picture. He has 2 routes to get playing time at ISU. First, keep developing and possibly win a starting job next year or at least some situational stops. Second, status quo for next year and then a decent chance to be a 3 year starter when some guys use up their eligibility after next year.

He doesn't jump start his career by transferring as he would have to sit out next year followed by the same chance to be a 3 year starter at another school.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just amazes me the number of guys that are coming back to make a statement for the Cyclones. Next year could be way more special than 2020, which is saying a lot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Great. You win.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
To me the only weakness of this team is explosive plays, aside from the occasional Breece long run. We just don’t have the receiver to take the top off the defense. However, I expect a lot of wins like the Oregon game where we methodically wear the opponent down.

I actually think we have a few receivers who can stretch the defense. Purdy doesn't have the arm strength to stretch it.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
What a loaded roster. Quick run through of what we're returning and we could have a starting line up where 18 of 22 spots are manned by at a minimum all conference honorable mention players and that isn't including Downing who is arguably our best OL. We'll have 8 first team all conference and 2 second teamers. LOADED.

QB: '20 1st team all Big 12, '19 2nd team all Big 12, '18 Big 12 HM
RB: '20 Big 12 OPoY, '20 1st team all Big 12, '19 2nd team all Big 12
TE: '20 1st team all Big 12, '19 1st team all Big 12, '18 2nd team all Big 12
TE: '20 2nd team all Big 12, '19 2nd team all Big 12, '17 2nd team all Big 12
WR: '20 Big 12 ONoY, '20 1st team all Big 12
WR:
LT:
LG: '20 2nd Team all Big 12
C: '20 1st Team all Big 12
RG: '20 Big 12 HM
RT:

DE: '20 1st Team all Big 12
DT: '20 Big 12 HM
DE: '20 Big 12 HM, '19 Big 12 HM
LB: '20 Big 12 DPoy, '20 1st team all Big 12, '19 Big 12 HM, '18 Big 12 HM
LB: '20 Big 12 HM
LB: '19 Big 12 HM
CB: '20 Big 12 HM, '19 Big 12 HM
CB: '20 Big 12 HM
S: '20 1st team all Big 12, '19 1st team all Big 12, '18 1st team all Big 12
S: '20 Big 12 DFoY
S:

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Part of that is we don't have a QB that can accurately throw the long ball. In Milton's first game back (I forget the opponent) Milton has coverage beat TWICE (at least those were the ones we threw on) and Purdy missed those throws both times. If you go back and watch his freshman campaign Butler simply went up and got everything that was underthrown. For whatever reason, Brock lacks the accuracy on those throws.

Reactions: Neptune78

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Maybe someone has already mentioned this...but I'm really excited about TJ Tampa at a cornerback spot next year. He's got great size and he is stupid athletic. That's the one spot on D im sorta worried about. Hopefully he can sure that spot up.

Reactions: glenn_thegreat

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Part of that is we don't have a QB that can accurately throw the long ball. In Milton's first game back (I forget the opponent) Milton has coverage beat TWICE (at least those were the ones we threw on) and Purdy missed those throws both times. If you go back and watch his freshman campaign Butler simply went up and got everything that was underthrown. For whatever reason, Brock lacks the accuracy on those throws.

He isn't accurate because he's having to exert himself so much to even throw the ball downfield. He just doesn't have great arm strength. He is really accurate in that 10-25yd range. But like you said, Butler always had to slow up and win a jump ball. That is something Scates and others haven't been able to do.

Stretching the field vertically is really the last piece missing from this offense. We now have the solid OL play, solid WR's, flexible TE's, great RB, a dual-threat QB when the play-calling allows it. I think we have a few receivers who are capable of being deep threats, but the QB can't get the ball to them.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
He isn't accurate because he's having to exert himself so much to even throw the ball downfield. He just doesn't have great arm strength. He is really accurate in that 10-25yd range. But like you said, Butler always had to slow up and win a jump ball. That is something Scates and others haven't been able to do.

Stretching the field vertically is really the last piece missing from this offense. We now have the solid OL play, solid WR's, flexible TE's, great RB, a dual-threat QB when the play-calling allows it. I think we have a few receivers who are capable of being deep threats, but the QB can't get the ball to them.

Hopefully Daniel Jackson can become a deep threat as well.

Reactions: STLISU

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We are gonna be an old team next year. Not quite BYU old, but up there!

What is everyone hearing as to reasons so many of these guys are coming back? Are their pro prospects just not that great? I would have assumed more would go just for the pure potential to earn money doing the same thing. Is the allure of having a special season really worth forgoing a payday in a career with a very short expiration date?

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
We are gonna be an old team next year. Not quite BYU old, but up there!

What is everyone hearing as to reasons so many of these guys are coming back? Are their pro prospects just not that great? I would have assumed more would go just for the pure potential to earn money doing the same thing. Is the allure of having a special season really worth forgoing a payday in a career with a very short expiration date?

In ISU's case i believe they felt like they had unfinished business bc of the big12 championship game. I've seen a couple way to early predictions for next season, We've been ranked as high as #6. Hopefully we get off to a good start.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron