Players skipping bowl games

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'd assume in most cases, if the player is going to be drafted, he's contributed significantly to the team's record and has enough clout to warrant leniency. However, I think it would still have to eat at a few of the guys in the non-glory positions that are seniors and treating the bowl game as their "last football game that they will play".

Yeah, maybe. But those guys ought to understand that if they incur an injury in their last game ever, then it's just that. An injury. Which for sure sucks, but unless we're talking about an extreme example like paralysis it's not going to hamper their ability to make a living after college.
For a guy projected as a first or second day draft pick, a knee injury or anything that would cause them to miss extended time could be financially disastrous. Even something with a 3-4 month recovery timeline puts them at risk of missing the scouting combine and predraft workouts. If the backup left guard can't understand that, then that's on them.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I completely understand why a player would skip and would support them if that's what they want.

Selfishly I want all of them out there so the games are more enjoyable to me as a fan.

Yeah, I get that part of it too. I'm excited to see AL play one more game in the cardinal and gold. If he was to decide that it isn't worth the risk, then as a fan I'd be disappointed not to have that opportunity. But he's given the fans four incredible years worth of highlights, and he's done some of that while hurt or dinged up. I wouldn't fault him for putting himself first just this once, especially if it could mean the difference between being a second day pick or an UFA.

It's a tough pill to swallow for us as fans, but the players don't owe us a thing.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I understand why guys skip the bowl games, but I still don't like it. It would sadden me to see any of our guys do that.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Wait'll one sits out the playoffs (you know it's coming).

Oy vey.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Is there any financial repercussions with respect to the scholarship? If a player chooses not to play or leaves the team his scholarship is cut.

It's a minor point but if the player signs agreeing to play and represent the university is he not meeting his side of the agreement even though it's only one game?

I guess I wouldn't expect a university to pursue it, but it is a valid question IMO.

Most of these guys that are skipping bowls would be leaving at semester anyway and going to a professional training outfit for the combine. Literally zero the school can do about it.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
looks like the trend is continuing

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-williams-to-skip-bowl-game-enter-nfl-draft/

Fournette and McCaffery (among others) have set the table for this. I know it's a controversial topic, but I'm all for it. Players exercising their power where they have it.
I agree. They are absolutely exploited by the NCAA, why should they risk potential future earnings on a bowl game?

I would love for things to be different, but they aren't.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Why not skip the whole season then?

I don't agree with any of it.

Because Games 1-12 count for something in the standings. Bowl games are nothing more than exhibitions. Of course you want your team to finish with a win, but what's really at stake in the Camping World Bowl or Cactus Bowl?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Because Games 1-12 count for something in the standings. Bowl games are nothing more than exhibitions. Of course you want your team to finish with a win, but what's really at stake in the Camping World Bowl or Cactus Bowl?

Exactly this. The bowl that Texas gets is going to be meaningless. This player looked at the situation, and decided that it was more beneficial to his career to skip it. And if the purpose of college is to prepare you for a career, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with him coming to this decision.
The NFL has shown that teams do not view skipping the bowl game as a negative. More and more players are going to be doing this. More power to them. As a fan, it sucks, but players need to do what's in their own best interest.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I can understand why players would do it.

But, I would hate it if someone on my team did it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have no problem with it. It'll be interesting if someone tries it in a playoff game. I don't suspect there will be much of that, but I'm sure someone will try it.

I was thinking the same thing, and what it does if they actually extend the playoffs to 8 or 16 teams.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I was thinking the same thing, and what it does if they actually extend the playoffs to 8 or 16 teams.

IMO, skipping a meaningless bowl game and skipping a playoff game with actual implications are worlds apart and it actually may say something to the NFL about the player. What if he's in the final year of his deal in the NFL and his teams in the playoff?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Exactly this. The bowl that Texas gets is going to be meaningless. This player looked at the situation, and decided that it was more beneficial to his career to skip it. And if the purpose of college is to prepare you for a career, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with him coming to this decision.
The NFL has shown that teams do not view skipping the bowl game as a negative. More and more players are going to be doing this. More power to them. As a fan, it sucks, but players need to do what's in their own best interest.

And here's the thing: Do we really care? I guess I don't. If Mayfield is in some bowl game against USC and doesn't want to play, I don't care. If Allen wants to skip, I don't care. I've become severely jaded toward bowl games lately so other probably share a more positive opinion toward them, but they're exhibitions that are fun sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
IMO, skipping a meaningless bowl game and skipping a playoff game with actual implications are worlds apart and it actually may say something to the NFL about the player. What if he's in the final year of his deal in the NFL and his teams in the playoff?

Right, but what if it's a player that's wanting to avoid too many games vs. injury and future NFL aspirations? Kind of tricky if this trend continues.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Difference is that the NFL guy is getting cash to play. It's his job to play those games. The ncaa has made it very clear that in the college game, the players are amateurs and students. If a guy wants to skip a bowl game and end his amateur career as he sees fit, that's his choice.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Well JaDaveon Clowney mailed it in for an entire season. What difference does it really make?

Side thought: I wonder if Bowl Game participants could somehow be paid

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't blame the palyers one bit for this.

But, the NCAA could be proactive in this. Maybe prior to the post season they could team up with the NFL (or NBA) and get draft projections for each player and offer free insurance in line with that projection. I know a lot of schools are doing this already with the general funds, but I'd like to see a broader application. It would also go a long way to help with the PR issues of using the athletes.