Players should NOT be paid!!! Probably done with ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Sick of this crap. So much for our amazing coach (future HOF!!!) who can only do so much w/ new uniforms, etc. Probably done being an ISU fan. Screw this.

CFB is being destroyed. Schools openly paying players. No loyalty w/ transfers. Too many bowl games. Coaches crying about losing players due to $$$, yet schools raking in 200-300% more money. Media only give a crap about favorite conferences. Not what I grew up with. Can't do it anymore.

I'm done with constant disappointment!!!!!!!!

So much useless $$$ for stadium improvements. Sucks we have no sugar daddy like others, but yay for our press box! Everyone knows good teams = paying kids, but "wink" schools aren't involved. Just boosters with their fake "jobs" for a years worth of money. Players with flashy cars. Big surprise it's the SEC at the center again!!!

I'm a fan, not a freaking ATM. PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE PAID!

They're student-athletes. Funny how good schools becomes easier for fancy recruits. Sad to see our conference blow up again. First the Missouri guys, then the Okie school and others. Guess history doesn't matter, but yay for us and Kansas State. No way any of the new tech (TV stuff) will make a difference.

You know what. I'm done it's over. Bye

____

I am, of course, talking about Iowa State in 1936.

In 1935, SEC started openly paying w/ "athletic" scholarships. Earlier, some players played for multiple teams in the same season. In 1934/35, record numbers of bowl games added (Sun, Sugar, Orange). A Big Ten coach (Stagg) cried about others paying players more, but Big Ten school revenues increased 200-300%. Elite media only cared about Big Ten, Ivy, and east coast teams--scraps for other regions (like ESPN & SEC).

Massive stadium construction in 1920s--UNC had a single donor essentially build theirs, but ISU "kept up" in this period with a new press box. Media wrote it was impossible to have good teams unless schools (via alumni) paid players. When Notre Dame "recruited" a player in the late 1920s, Knute was worried about leaving behind a paper trail. Players had jobs that required no effort or even their presence. Players got cars (Ford Model T, etc.). In 1930s, others complained about southern schools being the most aggressive in unsavory methods.

In the 1920s, Northwestern had a good player who had horrible grades and needed to sit out the season, but as it approached, magically came up with 15 credits. In 1928 when ISU and others formed a new conference, Washington U (Missouri) and Oklahoma State were dropped. Conferences remained in flux before and after that point. Radio moved from regional broadcasts of games to national. First TV sports were in 1936--kinda like fans hoping for streaming now.

In 1936, ISU had a future HOF coach (George Veenker) who switched uniforms to a different color in his earlier years to promote success.

____

Absolutely none of these issues are new. Dating from the 1800s, there have been concerns over academics, money, conference changes, governing reform, eligibility, and media. Long overdue for CFB to spin off from schools & license back name/imagery so players are no longer screwed over. ISU's situation has always been the same. Small fish in a big pond. That's what makes it fun. Go Cyclones!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sick of this crap. So much for our amazing coach (future HOF!!!) who can only do so much w/ new uniforms, etc. Probably done being an ISU fan. Screw this.

CFB is being destroyed. Schools openly paying players. No loyalty w/ transfers. Too many bowl games. Coaches crying about losing players due to $$$, yet schools raking in 200-300% more money. Media only give a crap about favorite conferences. Not what I grew up with. Can't do it anymore.

I'm done with constant disappointment!!!!!!!!

So much useless $$$ for stadium improvements. Sucks we have no sugar daddy like others, but yay for our press box! Everyone knows good teams = paying kids, but "wink" schools aren't involved. Just boosters with their fake "jobs" for a years worth of money. Players with flashy cars. Big surprise it's the SEC at the center again!!!

I'm a fan, not a freaking ATM. PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE PAID!

They're student-athletes. Funny how good schools becomes easier for fancy recruits. Sad to see our conference blow up again. First the Missouri guys, then the Okie school and others. Guess history doesn't matter, but yay for us and Kansas State. No way any of the new tech (TV stuff) will make a difference.

You know what. I'm done it's over. Bye

____

I am, of course, talking about Iowa State in 1936.

In 1935, SEC started openly paying w/ "athletic" scholarships. Earlier, some players played for multiple teams in the same season. In 1934/35, record numbers of bowl games added (Sun, Sugar, Orange). A Big Ten coach (Stagg) cried about others paying players more, but Big Ten school revenues increased 200-300%. Elite media only cared about Big Ten, Ivy, and east coast teams--scraps for other regions (like ESPN & SEC).

Massive stadium construction in 1920s--UNC had a single donor essentially build theirs, but ISU "kept up" in this period with a new press box. Media wrote it was impossible to have good teams unless schools (via alumni) paid players. When Notre Dame "recruited" a player in the late 1920s, Knute was worried about leaving behind a paper trail. Players had jobs that required no effort or even their presence. Players got cars (Ford Model T, etc.). In 1930s, others complained about southern schools being the most aggressive in unsavory methods.

In the 1920s, Northwestern had a good player who had horrible grades and needed to sit out the season, but as it approached, magically came up with 15 credits. In 1928 when ISU and others formed a new conference, Washington U (Missouri) and Oklahoma State were dropped. Conferences remained in flux before and after that point. Radio moved from regional broadcasts of games to national. First TV sports were in 1936--kinda like fans hoping for streaming now.

In 1936, ISU had a future HOF coach (George Veenker) who switched uniforms to a different color in his earlier years to promote success.

____

Absolutely none of these issues are new. Dating from the 1800s, there have been concerns over academics, money, conference changes, governing reform, eligibility, and media. Long overdue for CFB to spin off from schools & license back name/imagery so players are no longer screwed over. ISU's situation has always been the same. Small fish in a big pond. That's what makes it fun. Go Cyclones!
you-are-good-robert-deniro.gif

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My hope is this is just a period of chaos due to the NCAA being neutered by recent court decisions

It's probably before a lot of people's time. But the initial period of free agency in MLB, NBA and NFL were periods of craziness and people thought the end was near with George Steinbreiner spending like a drunken sailor on leave. But those leagues implemented salary caps and other free agency restrictions.

I think there will be a new oversight process for College Athletics in the next 6-12 months. Who knows what it will look like or if it helps or hinders athletic programs ISU's size.

I will always support ISU- depending how things sort out with college sport will determine if that support is just the ISU Foundation or the Foundation & Athletic Department.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
You're right. None of these issues are new. Power is constantly getting consolidated into fewer and fewer institutions.

Just 27 years ago, the Southwest Conference was starting their last season of play. Schools like Rice, SMU, TCU and Houston were all playing annual games against major opponents in a major conference. Just a year later, they were all left behind. TCU just got their P5 status back a decade ago and Houston will be joining in a couple years.

Iowa State has luckily survived all the changes in college football over the past century and is lucky to be one of those schools that remain in a power conference; however, to have the mindset of "we've seen this before, this isn't anything new" is a foolish mindset because as I stated, power is always getting consolidated and teams are always getting left behind. SMU fans probably thought the same thing in the 90s, that they've survived everything the previous century, but the death of the Southwest Conference was the last straw for them.

I do believe that eventually there will be a breakoff from the NCAA, where I'd guess the top 40 teams or so will make their own league or division and crown a national champion for those schools. They will of course be the schools that have the largest fan bases, have the most conference and national titles, and most importantly, the schools that generate the most revenue. I doubt it'd be for quite awhile since conference like the ACC have their GOR for another 14 years and the Big Ten is getting ready to renegotiate their media contract again.

I 100% hope that I am wrong about this or if it does happen, that ISU squeaks in. However, if it does happen and ISU is left behind, I think you'd still have other schools that were in P5 conferences that will also have gotten left behind that will band together to form their own league. A league that contains Iowa State, K-State, Kansas, Texas Tech, Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, BYU, Memphis, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Wake Forest, Louisville, West Virginia, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt.

• Sad
Reactions: aauummm and Kagavi

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I too hope that some rules and sanity appear sooner than later. But who knows.

I'd be ok if athletics went away entirely and ISU tried to become a CalTech type of school, but they definitely burned that bridge last week.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com

Eh, won't miss much

Haters gonna hate. In all seriousness, that's a tiny, tiny, tiny slice of my extensive research (with citations!) distilled into the last few paragraphs there.

I too hope that some rules and sanity appear sooner than later. But who knows.

I'd be ok if athletics went away entirely and ISU tried to become a CalTech type of school, but they definitely burned that bridge last week.

Agree. Would like a clear separation. I've talked about this here and elsewhere. Even the Notre Dame AD gave an interview this week and said he sees some football programs separating into their own professional entity and paying the school for name/licensing.

In 2016, I did a WRNL series called Cyclone Soup. Here's my story about the Big 12 needed to IMMEDIATELY pay players:

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2016/11/2/13499880/cyclone-soup-big-12-meets-public-enemy

Another about how close ISU came to joining the Big Ten about 80 years ago:

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/...e-soup-did-iowa-state-almost-join-the-big-ten

Whoever was thinking about an ATM in 1936 was way out ahead of the curve.

Interestingly enough, a chap named George McFarland did invent a rudimentary form of an ATM in 1932, but it had issues with counting money properly. It took decades to figure out an actual working version.

This story has more:

The incredible story of George McFarland and his ATM