Playcalling, coaching, etc. - consolidated thread

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
You can pick at things like that in almost any game, for any coach, in my experience. Ferentz was really poor play calling wise at Iowa until he started to win... funny how that changes perception.

I think the point of bringing in Chizik is that he might develop players to play at a higher level, recruit better... lots of folks can play call, but can't develop a program. McCarney was a great coordinator -- was play calling his biggest failure? Doubt it. Developing, recruiting and cultivating talent is where your coach has to make it happen. Then on game day ... their play calling looks nice.

No doubt that having better talent can cover up a lot of mistakes in terms of play-calling. I've never been a fan of Mack Brown's playcalling ability but he can get away with a lot with the talent he has. ISU doesn't have that luxury so our coaches need to be much more discriminating than they were today.

wsrgohawks

Sep 13, 2008
Rural Bremer County
Re: I don't understand.....

Lost respect for his post as soon as he said Moeaki's knee was down before the ball came out.

A blind man can see that was not the case.

I'll acknowledge the penalty if he acknowledges that it would have been a fumble without the penalty.

As soon as the defender hit him his knee went down right away. I watched it in slo mo for about 5 minutes. It would not have been a fumble.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006

I don't understand why you come to this site after we have lost and basically wonder why we are ****** ***

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006

FYI, wsr stands for Waverly-Shell Rock. By the way their mascot is the Gohawk. I am from that area so maybe lay off the kid a little bit he sounds like a Cyclone.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

You don't have to act like you like anyone... but we CAN act like adults. It's a lot more effective to win an argument with words rather than resort to name-calling. Show 'em we're better.

I would rather resort to second grade tactics......
:wink:

I'm just giving you a hard time.....I'll stop.

Reactions: Angie

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006

I would rather resort to second grade tactics......
:wink:

I'm just giving you a hard time.....I'll stop.

We may have lost the game on the field....but we can always make fun of squawks

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

FYI, wsr stands for Waverly-Shell Rock. By the way their mascot is the Gohawk. I am from that area so maybe lay off the kid a little bit he sounds like a Cyclone.

Well if he is a cyclone, come out and say it.....

We will respect the opinion a lot more then!

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006

Read the other 400,000 post to understand why we lost. Why does some ****** hawkeye fan need to come here and tell us why we lost on our board?

The guy didn't make disparaging comments. He didn't attack anybody. He laid out reasoned arguments, and he even gave ISU some credit at the end of his post.

About 75% of the other 400,000 posts about why we lost are the kind of excuses that we spent all week ridiculing Hawk fans for.

Here's the deal: We can make excuses about penalties, playcalling, weather, missed field goals, and a million others things under the sun. But if we do that, I don't want to see anything on this board next year asking "What excuses will Iowa make win they lose?"

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006

Hey bud, the reason we lost is very short and sweet: we didn't finish. We had more yards, more first downs, more time of possession, but fewer points because we didn't finish.

It's not the end of the world, though. You won't find Cyclone Nation going into meltdown mode like the Hawkeyes do when we beat them. It's only the second year for this new coaching staff and I'm pretty confident that by the end of the season we will be a better team than the Hawkeyes, who are in year 10 of their coaching staff.

Good luck at the Board of Regents meeting next week (not).

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Definitely not making excuses...we lost the game fair and square and had more than our share of chances.

Having said that, the ball was out before Moeaki's knee hit the ground. Simple fact. Doesn't matter because of the penalty, but the ball was out without question.

wsrgohawks

Sep 13, 2008
Rural Bremer County

Well if he is a cyclone, come out and say it.....

We will respect the opinion a lot more then!
I AM a Hawkeye fan....I have read this board for about a month now without applying for membership, and I just wanted to point out a few things. I remember seeing how "Iowa fans always make excuses why they lose- its never because we have a better team."

Well, know there are about 50 excuses why Iowa State lost. It was a poorly played game, really, by both sides.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

The guy didn't make disparaging comments. He didn't attack anybody. He laid out reasoned arguments, and he even gave ISU some credit at the end of his post.

About 75% of the other 400,000 posts about why we lost are the kind of excuses that we spent all week ridiculing Hawk fans for.

Here's the deal: We can make excuses about penalties, playcalling, weather, missed field goals, and a million others things under the sun. But if we do that, I don't want to see anything on this board next year asking "What excuses will Iowa make win they lose?"

I'm not making excuses. Just don't like when hawk fans come to this board and post crap like they are experts.

We lost because we were not the better team. Poor special teams and lack of execution in the red zone.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

I AM a Hawkeye fan....I have read this board for about a month now without applying for membership, and I just wanted to point out a few things. I remember seeing how "Iowa fans always make excuses why they lose- its never because we have a better team."

Well, know there are about 50 excuses why Iowa State lost. It was a poorly played game, really, by both sides.

Have you heard of hawkeyenation.com? Go there and stay there.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

The Bates football spot near the end of the game was ridiculous - the ref marked where his foot touched out, not where he was carrying the ball. Changed the whole game result.

The reason why I am groaning is because we sort of lost that game more than the hawks won it. The Hawks were basically lucky in the end.

wsrgohawks

Sep 13, 2008
Rural Bremer County

Have you heard of hawkeyenation.com? Go there and stay there.

See, that's funny. Because do you know how many Cyclone fans were prowling on that board before the game, saying "Iowa State is much better," "Iowa can't keep up with our speed," blah blah blah. Now, they've all disappeared. Funny, ain't it?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Why come here and post when you dont read the 10,000 other posts that talk about all those topics? I have a feeling he just came here to get a rile out of Cyclone fans.

Reactions: uro cy

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006

I'm not making excuses. Just don't like when hawk fans come to this board and post crap like they are experts.

We lost because we were not the better team. Poor special teams and lack of execution in the red zone.

I didn't say you're making excuses. Like I said, you appear to know the reasons we didn't lose. But all you have to do is look at other some of those other "400,000" posts you refer to to see that some Cyclones fans here are posting crap like they're experts, too.

I'll give you credit for not being one of those people, but there's no reason to attack the original poster when he made an intelligent argument.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa

See, that's funny. Because do you know how many Cyclone fans were prowling on that board before the game, saying "Iowa State is much better," "Iowa can't keep up with our speed," blah blah blah. Now, they've all disappeared. Funny, ain't it?

Funny, I don't ever go there, nor will I ever.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Most Cyclone fans were calling for a close game, not saying things like that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron