Planting trees near buried power lines

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Since there’s likely a bunch of horticulturists and electrical engineers on the site, I thought it’s be best to ask here. I have some buried power lines (and century link and mediacom) running along the back edge of my back yard where I’d like to plant a tree or two for shading purposes as well to block the site lines of the condos and duplexes they’re building behind us. I am wondering how close I can plant a tree to a buried power line without creating issues. Any input would be appreciated!

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Probably will depend on the type of tree.

don’t think I’m looking for anything that will get more than 20-25 feet tall. Live in the Des Moines metro area so whatever region that is. Am ok with most any trees. Don’t really want a cottonwood

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Since there’s likely a bunch of horticulturists and electrical engineers on the site, I thought it’s be best to ask here. I have some buried power lines (and century link and mediacom) running along the back edge of my back yard where I’d like to plant a tree or two for shading purposes as well to block the site lines of the condos and duplexes they’re building behind us. I am wondering how close I can plant a tree to a buried power line without creating issues. Any input would be appreciated!
I'd check on easement numbers.

Reactions: clone4life82

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'd have the utility companies locate the lines (Call 811) and just stay far enough back that the hole you dig for the root ball isn't going to hit any lines. Most guides from companies say either 18" or 24" is as close as you want to get digging. Where the roots go in the future isn't your concern. The utility line areas are not root free zones and can't be in real life as roots can spread WAY far out if conditions are good.

As the tree grow they won't be an issue for underground utilities. Could be an issue in the future (say when the trees are more mature) and they come and dig up of new lines or something and cut off what could be a major portion of the roots when trenching.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Should also consider root growth close to sidewalks/driveways. Also insure proper depth and watering, to help with eliminating or minimizing the root reach above ground.

Just saying from a friend.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Get locates and stay 18" away, they will likely be in conduit and the roots should be fine.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I work at a utility. GET a locate and call the utility and ask for advice. It's a safety issue for you the homeowner and for any utility workers not just now but into the future.

I'm not a utility shill, I've just seen way too many dig-ins, injuries and unintended arbor issues decades later.

I work with the big pipelines and you'd be amazed at how many professional construction companies routinely hit buried facilities not to mention the local homeowners and the havoc they can do to a neighborhood with THEIR antics around utilities.

That's your daily utility safety moment!

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I work at a utility. GET a locate and call the utility and ask for advice. It's a safety issue for you the homeowner and for any utility workers not just now but into the future.

I'm not a utility shill, I've just seen way too many dig-ins, injuries and unintended arbor issues decades later.

I work with the big pipelines and you'd be amazed at how many professional construction companies routinely hit buried facilities not to mention the local homeowners and the havoc they can do to a neighborhood with THEIR antics around utilities.

Slightly opposing view (from a contractor): While you should always get a locate, good luck depending on the accuracy of said locate. I've seen utilities be located 5'+ from the marked out the location. There is a reason why a lot of the really large construction firms require you to pothole and hand dig in a lot of places.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Regular homeowner antics, or Florida man antics?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Slightly opposing view (from a contractor): While you should always get a locate, good luck depending on the accuracy of said locate. I've seen utilities be located 5'+ from the marked out the location. There is a reason why a lot of the really large construction firms require you to pothole and hand dig in a lot of places.

Yeah I was going to say it seems like most locates are done using a divining rod based on how inaccurate they are, haha

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Locates are a crap shoot but it's better than nothing. Telecommunications companies are significantly less pissed at you when you took the time to get locates and hit something unmarked.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
At a friend’s new business and he is required by the city to plant so many trees. The power line for the street lights are directly below where he is required to plant the trees. City told him to hand dig the holes and plant the trees. No variance would be given