Physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have often wondered if living with the disease actually contributed to his work since he was less able to become distracted in the world and more able to (had to?) live within his mind.

Reactions: Angie

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Wasn't it expected with his initial diagnosis that he would only have a short time to live? Pretty remarkable how long he lived

Reactions: Angie

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My 10 year old son read a book and did a report on Stephen Hawking this year. He really enjoyed it and it confirmed his goal to be an astrophysicist some day.

PS: My kid is a nerd, but I love when he's passionate about things other than video games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have often wondered if living with the disease actually contributed to his work since he was less able to become distracted in the world and more able to (had to?) live within his mind.
Well I guess this answers my wondering:

When Hawking set out to do his calculation, his disease had already made it impossible for him to write out long equations by hand, and he was forced to do it all in his head. That inspired him to think about things in a totally new way—to think not in numbers but in shapes. In geometry. He saw, in his mind’s eye, how event horizons affect the entire space-time they bind—he saw how they determine the symmetries of the whole space-time, which in turn determine what we mean by a vacuum and what we mean by a particle. He saw this grand, global picture, which changed everything, and he attributed it, in part, to his illness, which he once said was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/03/stephen-hawking-is-still-underrated/555590/

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Well I guess this answers my wondering:

When Hawking set out to do his calculation, his disease had already made it impossible for him to write out long equations by hand, and he was forced to do it all in his head. That inspired him to think about things in a totally new way—to think not in numbers but in shapes. In geometry. He saw, in his mind’s eye, how event horizons affect the entire space-time they bind—he saw how they determine the symmetries of the whole space-time, which in turn determine what we mean by a vacuum and what we mean by a particle. He saw this grand, global picture, which changed everything, and he attributed it, in part, to his illness, which he once said was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/03/stephen-hawking-is-still-underrated/555590/

Incredible!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wasn't it expected with his initial diagnosis that he would only have a short time to live? Pretty remarkable how long he lived
My MIL that I never met died of ALS 20 years ago. From what my wife has said her mind was always 100% there. Her body on the other hand broke down fast and she passed after a couple years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Incredible!
Ratatouille-DVD-12-web.jpg

Incroyable!

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp