Philosophy of life....

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I've had some good teachers about how to approach life. My father lived the idea that you learn more listening than you do speaking. And my grandma's final written words were 'life is lovely'. So I guess I've grown up around optimism. It seems simplistic in its approach, but it makes life a lot more fun.

As for me, I've always hated the 'respect must be earned' mantra. I think respect should be given freely and then leave it up to each individual to lose it.

My own personal goal each day is to make at least one person laugh. If I do that, I consider it a good day.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Be excellent to each other.
future-council-o.gif

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Being a Christian I try to live by the two most important commandments. Love the Lord my God with all my heart and second to Love my neighbor as myself. If one does just the second, the world would be such a better place.

The next would be in my signature line.

And the third from my junior high gym teacher. Once you hit forty don’t pass up a rest area, or a boner, and never trust a fart. Which completely contradicts my first two philosophies it would seem...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Political ones could be dicey. I know the best one I’ve ever seen is one.

Ooh, now I need to know what the best one is!

@BCClone - that is awesome! @Farnsworth is a rock star and is doing two threads that day for me, so that would give lots of options!

--------

I believe in God, so that forms a lot of my foundations - but I also am very pragmatic, so much of my philosophy is built around what I think to be common sense, and looking at some things as allegorical and other things as process of elimination.

My personal philosophy outside of my faith, however, boils down to two things:

- Be kind whenever possible; and
- Do the most interesting thing possible at a given moment, any time you can.

Reactions: cyclones500

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've had some good teachers about how to approach life. My father lived the idea that you learn more listening than you do speaking. And my grandma's final written words were 'life is lovely'. So I guess I've grown up around optimism. It seems simplistic in its approach, but it makes life a lot more fun.

As for me, I've always hated the 'respect must be earned' mantra. I think respect should be given freely and then leave it up to each individual to lose it.

My own personal goal each day is to make at least one person laugh. If I do that, I consider it a good day.

Kinda like the respect statement. I have learned that the old theory of treat people the way you want to be treated works in reverse very well. You want to know your and others values this theory holds true. You expect people to treat you how you treat them. Meaning if you expect this other person is going to try to cheat you on the dealing, you are the type of person who will cheat when you can.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When my daughters were young, if one of them said to me "I can't do it!", I would tell them about the little girl who always said she couldn't do something. She never did anything.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have similar beliefs that have already been stated here. Most of mine come from a Christian foundation.

One thing I strive to do is I assume most people (psychopaths aside) are reasonable people who make reasonable decisions. When I see someone do something I think is stupid or bothers me, I try to remember that they are likely dealing with a personal history or factors that formed their decision. "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" is the quote that I try to remember in those moments.

Reactions: cyclones500

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Here's the speech our HS basketball coach gave us right before playing the sub-state final. It's one I've carried with me for years:

"A bird is caught in a snow storm. It's fluttering along, trying to find a place to land, but is getting cold and starting to fade. It flies into a barn that's no warmer than the outdoors. Just when the bird thinks it's over, a cow ***** right on top of it. The warmth of the cow **** comforts the bird as it begins to recover from the cold. Just as the bird is feeling warmed, a cat pulls it out of the cow **** and eats it. Moral of the story: not everyone who ***** on you is your enemy, and no everyone who pulls you out of **** is your friend."