******PGA Championship******

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Phil looking less than thrilled

Yeah, I don't think he or Rickie were thrilled, but both shrugged it off and took the high road afterwards like you'd expect.

As kind of a golf purist, I think it was wrong for Rory to hit his 2nd shot on 18 before Phil and Rickie finished, especially since Phil and Rickie weren't even asked if it was ok. The PGA of America decided, which isn't right.

And yes, it very well could have affected the outcome of the tournament. If Rory is sitting in the 18th fairway and sees either Phil or Rickie drain their eagles, it completely changes his 2nd shot strategy most likely and definitely adds a lot of stress and pressure on his 2nd shot.

With that being said, if Rory wouldn't have been allowed to hit his tee shot and then his 2nd shot when he did, I think he should have walked off and waited until tomorrow to finish. Too much was at stake to play in the dark IMO.

But what great golf that was. I haven't enjoyed a tournament like that in quite a while. A bunch of guys were making incredible shots and putts. If Tiger could hit a fairway with his driver like Rory can, he would be right there IMO, but he can't even come close right now. Tiger's driver is all over the place and he won't contend again until he can start hitting it more accurately.

But this was awesome to watch. Unfortunately I wanted Rickie to win, and if not him, I wanted Phil to win. I don't like Rory for some reason. For one, he's not American, but I don't like his cocky walk or something?

With Tiger struggling big time, we need some American golfers to step up. I like Bubba, but he's too much of a head case and has too erratic of a golf game right now to contend too. The Ryder Cup could be very ugly for us Americans I'm afraid.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The more I see Rory, the more I think Jack's record is safe from Tiger.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Yeah, I don't think he or Rickie were thrilled, but both shrugged it off and took the high road afterwards like you'd expect.

As kind of a golf purist, I think it was wrong for Rory to hit his 2nd shot on 18 before Phil and Rickie finished, especially since Phil and Rickie weren't even asked if it was ok. The PGA of America decided, which isn't right.

And yes, it very well could have affected the outcome of the tournament. If Rory is sitting in the 18th fairway and sees either Phil or Rickie drain their eagles, it completely changes his 2nd shot strategy most likely and definitely adds a lot of stress and pressure on his 2nd shot.

With that being said, if Rory wouldn't have been allowed to hit his tee shot and then his 2nd shot when he did, I think he should have walked off and waited until tomorrow to finish. Too much was at stake to play in the dark IMO.

But what great golf that was. I haven't enjoyed a tournament like that in quite a while. A bunch of guys were making incredible shots and putts. If Tiger could hit a fairway with his driver like Rory can, he would be right there IMO, but he can't even come close right now. Tiger's driver is all over the place and he won't contend again until he can start hitting it more accurately.

But this was awesome to watch. Unfortunately I wanted Rickie to win, and if not him, I wanted Phil to win. I don't like Rory for some reason. For one, he's not American, but I don't like his cocky walk or something?

With Tiger struggling big time, we need some American golfers to step up. I like Bubba, but he's too much of a head case and has too erratic of a golf game right now to contend too. The Ryder Cup could be very ugly for us Americans I'm afraid.

Phil explained it's typical to let the next two hit so they don't blow the horn. He was pretty cool in his interview.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
You know when Phil made the "lot of heart" comment about Tiger in the first round that Tiger was not going to factor in.

It's a lot easier than saying "This guy just ground an 80+ into a 74" or "That was very Seve-like".

Phil is indeed the thrill when he's close but I have to think the place being a mud hole let him contend.

Last edited:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Great finish. Only black mark was the normal douchers blubbering "IN DA HOLE!!" on players' downswing. Those dumbas#es should be thrown out

Yelling IN DA HOLE on the tee box on a par 4 hole is equally asinine

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Phil explained it's typical to let the next two hit so they don't blow the horn. He was pretty cool in his interview.

It's typical to let them tee off so if they do blow the horn they have the option to finish the hole. It is not typical to let them hit their second shot.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
It's typical to let them tee off so if they do blow the horn they have the option to finish the hole. It is not typical to let them hit their second shot.

it was getting too dark, the officials wanted to get the tournament done (plus there were more storms on the way). Rory was basically putting in the dark, which is very difficult (look how bad Rickie missed his eagle putt, he basically said he couldn't see the break). The announcers kept saying he should just mark it and come back in the morning.

If i was Rory, i would have just waited until this morning to play the 18th hole. He was really rushed hitting his tee shot and ALMOST hit in the water.

It all worked out, Rory deserved to win and he did.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
it was getting too dark, the officials wanted to get the tournament done (plus there were more storms on the way). Rory was basically putting in the dark, which is very difficult (look how bad Rickie missed his eagle putt, he basically said he couldn't see the break). The announcers kept saying he should just mark it and come back in the morning.

If i was Rory, i would have just waited until this morning to play the 18th hole. He was really rushed hitting his tee shot and ALMOST hit in the water.

It all worked out, Rory deserved to win and he did.

It's not supposed to be their call on whether or not he plays up. It's the players in front. I'm not saying he didn't deserve to win. He did. It just seemed like they rushed through the last hole to get it in (which almost cost Rory big time as you mention) and made a great tournament finish seem... less than great.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012

Tiger's driver is all over the place and he won't contend again until he can start hitting it more accurately.

The Ryder Cup could be very ugly for us Americans I'm afraid.

I think if Rory didn't hit when he did he had every reason to walk off the course and finish this morning. The PGA knew this and made the decision to give the fans what they wanted.

All the top players have been hitting the driver perfectly with Rory probably have the best driver right now. Until Tiger can start shaping his driver he will not win another tournament.

At this point it looks like the USA is in big trouble for the Ryder Cup. I think the USA has more "depth", but Europe is a lot more consistent at the top.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I thought the placement of the pins really contributed to low scores. I always thought they set it up so that the final day would be the toughest. Do you think they were hoping for better TV ratings in a Tigerless major? It was really fun to watch.

I wasn't sure who I was rooting for.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I thought the placement of the pins really contributed to low scores. I always thought they set it up so that the final day would be the toughest. Do you think they were hoping for better TV ratings in a Tigerless major? It was really fun to watch.

I wasn't sure who I was rooting for.

Really? You thought the pins were easy? ! 12 of the 18 pins for the final round were 5 paces or less from the edge of the green. I wouldn't call that easy but what I would say is the wet/soft conditions made the hole locations easier since they could get the ball to stop.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Fowler goes 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd at the majors this year

He's the best golfer on the planet to not have a major championship yet. Granted, he's still only 25. But he's the best without one right now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
He's the best golfer on the planet to not have a major championship yet. Granted, he's still only 25. But he's the best without one right now.

Pump the brakes, he's got two wins, ever.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron