Misc: PGA announces rescheduled majors

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The first major of the PGA season will be the PGA Championship, played August 6-9, followed by the U.S. Open from September 17-20. The Ryder Cup will be played September 25-27, as was previously scheduled, and The Masters will be played November 12-15.

Apparently there is no word yet on The Open Championship.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The first major of the PGA season will be the PGA Championship, played August 6-9, followed by the U.S. Open from September 17-20. The Ryder Cup will be played September 25-27, as was previously scheduled, and The Masters will be played November 12-15.

Apparently there is no word yet on The Open Championship.

Good info. Read on ESPN earlier no Open this year.

If they can still get 3 majors in, I'll take it. Tiger gets to be reigning masters champ a bit longer.

Reactions: Doc

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Dream on...right or wrong there won't be major sports this year...(Hope I am dead wrong)

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Seems like the PGA would be one of the few sports that could resume without fans and still make for a decent TV broadcast though.

I wonder what the players have to say about this revised schedule. Would they feel safe enough to show up at these events? Several players were very vocal about the Players Championship even being played when this whole thing started.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I wonder what the players have to say about this revised schedule. Would they feel safe enough to show up at these events? Several players were very vocal about the Players Championship even being played when this whole thing started.
Since it is not a team sport it could actually be up to the individual whether they want to play or not.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

Exactly. C.T. Pan even went so far as to withdraw from the Players before **** hit the fan.

I said it in the other thread, but there is a real opportunity for the Tour for 4 person match play or skins or whatever but it will NEVER happen. The tour is a member based organization that makes its money on having as many playing opportunities as possible. Match play would screw up their business model when it would become incredibly popular in the current climate

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Seems like the PGA would be one of the few sports that could resume without fans and still make for a decent TV broadcast though.
They could, but not having spectators would hurt the pocketbook. Some numbers just for the masters. Single day Masters tickets cost $115. They cost much more on the secondary market but this is what they cost upfront, multiply that by the 40,000 people each day and that's about 17 million dollars in revenue they wouldnt get by not having spectators just in ticket sales not counting the practice rounds. Not to mention the fact they wouldnt get the sales at the gift shop. During the 2019 tournament they sold $850,000 in merchandise every hour they were open monday through sunday, the pro shop at agusta is the only place that official masters stuff is sold as far as I know.
Their concession prices are cheap though, being more in line with a high school than a professional sports venue.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I am guessing they got bills to pay like everyone else. Pretty easy to take the high road in early March when most people thought this might impact events for 4-6 weeks. The reality is a bit different now. My guess after 5 months without a paycheck, PGA golfes will be eager to get started. I gotta believe they can play golf pretty safely if they prohibit fans.

That said, if sports aren't up in running by early August- as a country and world everybody is in for a lot hurt.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I am guessing they got bills to pay like everyone else. Pretty easy to take the high road in early March when most people thought this might impact events for 4-6 weeks. The reality is a bit different now. My guess after 5 months without a paycheck, PGA golfes will be eager to get started. I gotta believe they can play golf pretty safely if they prohibit fans.

That said, if sports aren't up in running by early August- as a country and world everybody is in for a lot hurt.

95% of the guys with PGA tour cards don’t need the money.

The guys and gals on the LPGA, Korn Ferry, Latino tour, etc are the ones who need cash

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

I agree about the average player but the superstars aren't hurting for money and they bring in the majority of viewers. A lot can happen between now and August so who knows.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I think that now that we’re getting a better handle on it the players will be more open to playing later in the year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
They could, but not having spectators would hurt the pocketbook. Some numbers just for the masters. Single day Masters tickets cost $115. They cost much more on the secondary market but this is what they cost upfront, multiply that by the 40,000 people each day and that's about 17 million dollars in revenue they wouldnt get by not having spectators just in ticket sales not counting the practice rounds. Not to mention the fact they wouldnt get the sales at the gift shop. During the 2019 tournament they sold $850,000 in merchandise every hour they were open monday through sunday, the pro shop at agusta is the only place that official masters stuff is sold as far as I know.
Their concession prices are cheap though, being more in line with a high school than a professional sports venue.

I think any lost revenue for lack of spectators would be made up by being the only live sport on television.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Augusta National would look a whole lot different in November (in a bad way) versus April without all those flowering trees and bushes, but it would still be worth it in every way.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Augusta National would look a whole lot different in November (in a bad way) versus April without all those flowering trees and bushes, but it would still be worth it in every way.

Knowing how they run that place, those watching on TV may not even know the difference. I'm sure they'll come up with some crazy scheme to make it look Mastery.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The players have bills to pay or Augusta National has bills to pay?

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
The players have bills to pay or Augusta National has bills to pay?

Neither. They both have stupid amounts of money. The average tour player makes 600k in a season.

And personally, I hope Augusta looks pedestrian. The perfect manicured look they produce is bad for the game as every hacker thinks that’s how every course is supposed to look.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Neither. They both have stupid amounts of money. The average tour player makes 600k in a season.

And personally, I hope Augusta looks pedestrian. The perfect manicured look they produce is bad for the game as every hacker thinks that’s how every course is supposed to look.

519z3T4foYL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read this book -- one of its major theses is that the perfection of Augusta National, so perfectly green on the television, has been an indirect environmental disaster. That it has set unrealistic expectations for golf courses and lawns across the country and across the world, so it has encouraged so heinous overuse of water and chemicals in treating lawns that would better off left a little less "perfect" and not so blindingly bright and green.

All this is on top of the "dirty secret" that Augusta National is only played roughly half or less of the year. The other half of the year is spent on maintenance of the course and allowing it to recover, which is not realistic for most other courses and lawns and helps it really shine when it shows up on television for the Masters once per year.