"PG" play?

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
McGee looked good when he ran the point today. I was very imrpessed by him. Scottie, on the other hand, did not look good at all while running the point. It's just not where I want to see him.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
McGee looked good when he ran the point today. I was very imrpessed by him. Scottie, on the other hand, did not look good at all while running the point. It's just not where I want to see him.

+1 Im sure Scott feels the same way.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Can Long play this year? Do we have an open spot for him on the roster?

If so, it certainly can't hurt, but he will have a lot to learn in a very short time.

I thought our offense looked a bit better today, but we were hitting our 3's really well, which always helps.

I kinda wish we wouldn't have given up our 26 pt lead, but at least it gives Fred something to work on.

Scotty's dribbling concerns me. Sledge has to be a better ball handler than Scotty, right?

Sledge has better handles, quicker and can drive. But Scotty knows the offense, has the experience of playing B12 bball and is one of the best 3pt shooters in the conference.

Scotty might not be as slick as DG penetrating but he did get to the line 3 times today and it wasn't because he was shooting 3's.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am not comfortable with Scotty at the point, but give it some time. He has had hardly any live game action at the position. After a few games he may have a better feel for it and the game will slow down for him. Some have compared this team to the one that had Nurse at the point (Fizer's soph. year). The difference is Nurse really did not have a lot of ball handlers out there with him. Scotty has Allen, Babb, Royce, Bubu and McGee. So at any one time there may be 3 other guys besides him that can handle the ball. Defensively, McGee and Allen seem to have the intensity and quickness to matchup with the jet quick point guards we will see in the Big 12, so we have that base covered.

BostonPrep

Mar 12, 2011
You're proving my point, you think any team would want to press incredibly average ball handlers BJ Armstrong or Steve Kerr with the most versatile, long and athletic 2 and 3 in the league running around? Suicide.

If we put Scotty back there alone to break a press we're just stupid. If teams press Scotty with White/Ejim/Babb/Allen back to help, the team pressing is probably stupid unless they're crazy athletic.

I want teams to press Scotty if he's point guard, I think he's good enough to get the ball to White, Babb or Allen and then they'll get easy baskets.

Congrats ISU, the game looked promising

ISU will do well against the press but clearly do not have a true point guard.

When White helps out and the press just doesn't work. he is 6'8" and super strong. He can create all of the room he wants just by pivoting and no guard or 3 is going to be able to physically stay in position. might even cause fouls as they bonce of him while he pivots. In addition he can simply hold the ball over his head and start a break against a broken defense.

White again will be instrumental in 1/2 court type game creating mismatch against bigger guys with less speed as he plays form the perimeter.