Peterson: Staten is Still Committed

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
For the naysayers, are we not just a few years...OK, 8 years...removed from an Elite 8 appearance and back-to-back Big 12 titles? If not for some bad breaks fueled primarily by Natural Light, we probably would have been in the top 4 in the conference since then. We have what it takes to be a premier hoops program.

For his mom...GOOD FOR YOU. Iowa State identified him as a talent, wants him, offered him first, etc, etc, etc. She obviously understands what that means and that you should honor your commitments. The seemingly next best thing that comes along is not always the best thing.

For the other programs expressing interest...he's committed to Iowa State. Go find your own players if you have any talent and integrity whatsoever. Friggin' sandbagging poachers.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
You guys worry about too much that is out of your control...

Oh and by the way, when things don't go your way, enough with the "We are Iowa State" stuff. CPR is trying to change that thought in the locker room, you need to change it outside the locker room...ugh...

Z

This needs to be repeated. And I am just as guilty of it as anybody, but you know what? Enough with that crap.

I am moving into the expect to win camp. You can't hope to win, you should expect to win.

I expect our FBall team to get hot and possibly reach a bowl, which would be huge for CPR's program to get some extra practices and experience in that environment.

I expect VBall to make a nice run in the tourney again, same as women's BBall.

I expect Men's BBall to surprise the experts and make the dance. Yep, I do.

I also expect Kevin Jackson to finish what Bobby D and Cael started, and win that National Championship in wrestling.

That is the ISU I think of when I say "We are Iowa State" from now on. I hope that sentiment catches on with more of you.

As for Wes, I hope he realizes the venting he sees on this board is just the passion ISU fans have for their hoops, and that he listens to his mom and becomes a Cyclone. He will not regret it.

Reactions: cjclone

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Sure hope we keep him. I think he's a great match for ISU and ISU is a great match for him. Hope he stays committed.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This needs to be repeated. And I am just as guilty of it as anybody, but you know what? Enough with that crap.

I am moving into the expect to win camp. You can't hope to win, you should expect to win.

I expect our FBall team to get hot and possibly reach a bowl, which would be huge for CPR's program to get some extra practices and experience in that environment.

I expect VBall to make a nice run in the tourney again, same as women's BBall.

I expect Men's BBall to surprise the experts and make the dance. Yep, I do.

I also expect Kevin Jackson to finish what Bobby D and Cael started, and win that National Championship in wrestling.

That is the ISU I think of when I say "We are Iowa State" from now on. I hope that sentiment catches on with more of you.

As for Wes, I hope he realizes the venting he sees on this board is just the passion ISU fans have for their hoops, and that he listens to his mom and becomes a Cyclone. He will not regret it.

I'm with joefrog (I'm with stupid?:smile:). I hate the "we are Iowa State" stuff. That's a loser mentality. Sure, things go wrong. They go wrong everywhere. Life goes on and we all get on with it.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
For the naysayers, are we not just a few years...OK, 8 years...removed from an Elite 8 appearance and back-to-back Big 12 titles? If not for some bad breaks fueled primarily by Natural Light, we probably would have been in the top 4 in the conference since then. We have what it takes to be a premier hoops program.

For his mom...GOOD FOR YOU. Iowa State identified him as a talent, wants him, offered him first, etc, etc, etc. She obviously understands what that means and that you should honor your commitments. The seemingly next best thing that comes along is not always the best thing.

For the other programs expressing interest...he's committed to Iowa State. Go find your own players if you have any talent and integrity whatsoever. Friggin' sandbagging poachers.

I think you are being a little overconfident in thinking that LE was "the man" for ISU if not for his drinking problem that led to inappropriate behavior with college-aged girls less than half his age.

I do believe we have what it takes to be a consistent to 25 hoops program.

You clearly do not understand what "verbal commitment" means and how recruiting works. Verbal commitment means nothing at all. All schools...including ISU...recruit kids they want until they sign a LOI with another school. You would be a fool to do anything else.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think you are being a little overconfident in thinking that LE was "the man" for ISU if not for his drinking problem that led to inappropriate behavior with college-aged girls less than half his age.

I do believe we have what it takes to be a consistent to 25 hoops program.

You clearly do not understand what "verbal commitment" means and how recruiting works. Verbal commitment means nothing at all. All schools...including ISU...recruit kids they want until they sign a LOI with another school. You would be a fool to do anything else.

I agree with everything in this post.

I could have quietly agreed, but by agreeing "in print", I can pick up more credits for the bet on the Cyclones.:yes:

Num1, thanks for the good argument in your post, and this excellent credit-building opportunity.:yes:

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007

I would agree with this if we did not recruit players who have already verballed as well.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I have read most, but not all, of the Staten posts. I looked up his AAU team and 3 of the 4 coaches are from the U of Iowa and the 4th is from Cedar Rapids. Is it safe to assume that is the direction in which he is being pulled?

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I have read most, but not all, of the Staten posts. I looked up his AAU team and 3 of the 4 coaches are from the U of Iowa and the 4th is from Cedar Rapids. Is it safe to assume that is the direction in which he is being pulled?

AAU coaches benefit when talented players are not committed...Draws interest.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I expect big things from bball this year. We have been playing with one hand behind our back the last few years. We need to take advantage of hilton magic. We are going to win 20 games this year. No more lose the edge at the end of the game. Think positive.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If he goes to Iowa it will be obvious. No way a kid like that goes there without severe outside influences. That system doesn't fit him.