Perryman Group Economic Report on Big 12

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
This looks like somebody (Baylor) wanting to maximize any damages they can get from Texas and OU. Which will result in Texas and OU teams putting out contrary reports saying we're actually in a lot better position than this report says.

Get your opponent to talk you up, so to speak.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
ISU and every other university in the B12 is so much bigger than Texa$ and OU$.
I personally think this report is trash and way overstates the numbers to the point that they might as well turn out the lights in Friley/Helser.

Depending on how things shake out, this will either be a blip on the radar of ISU Athletics and we'll continue on the rocket ship that JP has us on with a new better league, or we'll settle in to a tv deal that get's us $25-$30million/team, which is a 15% hit to the AD. I think there's enough passionate fans that ISU will have to get creative for a few years to make up that revenue, but I think JP can make it happen.

I personally haven't donated to ISU's athletics specifically in the past, but this is BS, so that's about to change if it means keeping us relevant.
I basically agree, though the hit on TV revenue could be down to 20 Mil. I think the report is probably correct that the remaining schools are better off sticking together if there aren't offers on the table from othe P5 conferences. There are a lot of unknowns such as would we still get to sit at the big boys table in discussing playoff invites, bowl tie-ins, etc. Would we be able to maintain fan support if we became an AAC or MWC school?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
ISU and every other university in the B12 is so much bigger than Texa$ and OU$.
I personally think this report is trash and way overstates the numbers to the point that they might as well turn out the lights in Friley/Helser.

Depending on how things shake out, this will either be a blip on the radar of ISU Athletics and we'll continue on the rocket ship that JP has us on with a new better league, or we'll settle in to a tv deal that get's us $25-$30million/team, which is a 15% hit to the AD. I think there's enough passionate fans that ISU will have to get creative for a few years to make up that revenue, but I think JP can make it happen.

I personally haven't donated to ISU's athletics specifically in the past, but this is BS, so that's about to change if it means keeping us relevant.
I like your optimism. But, I think a non power 4/5 TV deal may only get you 10-15M, and that is 2X the AAC deal.

Reactions: Win5002

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So based on the report, if ISU were to have to join the MWC we're going to be in a tough place. Can't argue with that. What's the odds we're going to end up in the MWC? Is it much above zero?

As far as scenario 1, yes if we add the average AAC team, it isn't going to move the needle financially. But just like the Big12 before, there's a large difference in bringing in the top couple teams vs the average team in both competitiveness and financial impact to the league.

Reactions: isutrevman

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You'd be in the minority then. There is a reason why our most highly attended games are against the best teams on the schedule, or against teams that we have some sort of emotional tie to.

When is the last time the OU or Texas game was our high point for attendance? We sell out for FCS opponents, and we wouldn’t need their fans to do it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Obviously this is different for OK State and the Texas schools.

Our sell outs are driven by weather, emotional attachment to the opponent (which has little to do with prestige), and circumstances surrounding the game. In that order.

In basketball that is absolutely the case.

In football it's not the case now. But if you replace OU with Tulsa year after year, it's going to have an impact.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Ames will be fine as long as ISU fans show out for wherever we land.

This is one thing we CAN control. I don’t go to ISU games because of opponents prestige

I have no doubt existing ISU fans will respond. But it feels like we really cap our potential for attracting casual fans in the area. That said, building a consistent winner, even if in a lesser conference, still holds some power, especially if we still get Iowa once a year.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ames will be fine as long as ISU fans show out for wherever we land.

This is one thing we CAN control. I don’t go to ISU games because of opponents prestige

Yes to a point, I can get behind, Cincy Memphis, Houston, and Byu as long as we have a shot to get to the playoff. Bball would be fun either way. But we all know the bigger names bring more appeal.

F it B10 or bust.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yes to a point, I can get behind, Cincy Memphis, Houston, and Byu as long as we have a shot to get to the playoff. Bball would be fun either way. But we all know the bigger names bring more appeal.

F it B10 or bust.

For TV for sure. For game attendance I don’t see a huge difference

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston

F it B10 or bust.
I think this will be a fun conference with those additions. The money is going to suck but it will be nice to be with a conference of equals. Hope BYU doesn't fill the void of Texas's arrogance but think they got some humility themselves the past 10 years.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
When is the last time the OU or Texas game was our high point for attendance? We sell out for FCS opponents, and we wouldn’t need their fans to do it.

Our football attendance generally is based on 3 things:

Weather
Opponent
How good we've been.

We sell out for FCS opponents because those are almost always during the most tailgate-able games in September.

Adjusting for weather differences and variations in how good we are (a factor that will be influenced negatively if we are not playing on the big stage anymore), i'd say opponent matters most after that.

Those october\november games will have horrific attendance if its some team out of the AAC.