Permission to Rant?

clonestotop

Aug 7, 2006
and i disagree with you on Nebraska's attendance. It never once slipped under Solich and wasnt going to. His worst year was 9-3. The fans were going nowhere. Then they have been poor to mediocre to good than the last 3 years and guess what. Still packed game in and game out.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
and i disagree with you on Nebraska's attendance. It never once slipped under Solich and wasnt going to. His worst year was 9-3. The fans were going nowhere. Then they have been poor to mediocre to good than the last 3 years and guess what. Still packed game in and game out.

Not true at all. I know many Nebraska fans and there were a lot of grumblings. And when you big donors start saying get rid of him, they did. If you think they merely got rid of him becaus 9-3 was unnacceptable for NU football, then why is Calahan still there? If he keeps losing big to teams like OK ST. and not getting into BCS bowls, and NU decides to keep him becaus he has potential to be great, you'll see a dramatic drop in attendance. Problem is, that won't happen at NU. They know, how to keep fans in the stands. Either win, or promise you'll win by finding someone who can. One benefit to NU, it's all they have. For us, if we don't do well, there is that other University a little over a hundred miles to the east.

We've had Danny Mac for 12 years now and a lot of people are saying, "This is the best we can Do." Dan is doing a great job. Well, if that's the case, then expect 35,000 to be the best you can do in the seats as well. People don't support a program because of who they are. They support them because they win and expect them to win. Not because they finish middle of the pack and then every 2 years finish at the bottom. If Nebraska had had our last 12 years, Hell, any team in the country, they would be lucky to have 35,000 people in the stands. The problem is, you have a bunch of die hard fans, myself included in that, that love ISU football no matter what. The other 20-30,000 we are looking for just don't care. They want to watch good football or see a winner. To get them interested we have to get them here regularly, we have to get to a level of at least Iowa and we have to expect it. We have to get to where 7-5 or 6-6 is one of our bad seasons. Not the good season we were hoping for.

Last edited:

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
This is another thing that bothers me about some Cyclone fans. "Support no matter what!" You know, that only goes so far. We are trying to build a fan base here, not keep one that really didn't exist. You were getting people in the stands because expectations were high this year, not because they are the Cyclones. You have to put a good product on the field to attract fans. What 35,000 in the stands will prove is that you have about 35,000 people who are die hard fans of Iowa State. The other 15-20 thousand that didn't show were merely people who thought they could see some good football, but, aren't willing to sit through another ISU crapfest. It's not the fans fault. It's like me trying to feed you a candybar made of crap. You're supposed to eat it becaus I say you are, not because it's good or fun to eat. It's the exact same with ISU football. Until you make it good football or at least fun to watch, you aren't going to get anyone but your 30-35,000 true fans out there. In the end, if ISU wants more fans, they have to put a good product on the field year in and year out. You can't have 2 0-fer seasons every 4 years and expect a lot of excitement. And you especially can't sell people on the fact that, "This is the best ISU can expect" as a way to drum up fans. Sell, "We expect nothing less than winning seasons!" Sell, "We expect a conference Championship" Sell, "We expect a New Years DAy Bowl" That's the atmosphere people want to be involved with. Not, "What do you expect, this is ISU, the best we can do." Quit blaming the fans, it's not our fault. Put a team that wins games out on the field and people will show up. Put a team on the field that's not known for pissing the end of the season down their leg and you'll get fans in the seats in November. Sell excitement and you'll get excitement. Sell crap and you'll get a bowl of crap.

GREAT STUFF!!!! Couldn't agree more with you on every point. Gee, why don't you want to eat at my restaurant? Uhh, because the food is awful. Well, if you were a loyal customer, you would continue to eat the garbage that I sell????

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron