Perfect time to embrace Jack Trice heritage

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
With all that’s going on, wouldn’t this be a great time for Iowa State to very publicly embrace the fact that we have the only stadium named after a black athlete? And what a story Jack Trice is!

Along with The Eyes of Texas discussion at The University of Texas, there is also a push to have some facet of the stadium named after their first black football player, Julius Whittier.

Well, Iowa State is way ahead of the game! What a time it is to be a proud Cyclone. We really should embrace it!

Attachments

• 06628E13-A2F8-4F00-AD55-1A63D81E9A74.jpeg
    06628E13-A2F8-4F00-AD55-1A63D81E9A74.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: cyputz and Cy4Lifer

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
It has a tremendous significance being name after Jack Trice, and the abuse he endured. However, i would feel there should be some form of dialogue with the family members prior to such a comment. The naming is a wonderful tribute, not a card to be played later as a political statement. Rest IN Peace Mr. Trice❤️

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I like the thought of possibly having all of the jerseys say “Trice” for our opening game (and perhaps every season opening game to follow). That would be reasonably subtle while still impactful.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I like the thought of possibly having all of the jerseys say “Trice” for our opening game (and perhaps every season opening game to follow). That would be reasonably subtle while still impactful.

Not allowed.

kcbob79clone

Not allowed.

I'm wondering if during these times an exception would be granted

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
We have to wear them for sure when we play the Hoks.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
@Kagavi

If we are going to talk Jack Trice tributes, we have to hear from Josh!

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
This would be the year for College Gameday to do a Trice segment. I still can't believe they didn't do it last year when they were in Ames.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Not allowed.
Is that a new rule? ASU did it with their Tillman jerseys.

url

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Is that a new rule? ASU did it with their Tillman jerseys.
url

Since there's no image, I'll have to guess what you're talking about.

ASU did a PT42 helmet decal, which is allowed. They did a PT42 patch, which is allowed.

If they had tried to put "Tillman" on the back of everyone's jersey, that would be against the rules.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it would look like opportunistic self promotion. If an independent group or organization would want to do some kind of spotlight on it great. I personally don't think the university waving its arms and saying "Hey look, we named our stadium after a black athlete!" would look real great at the moment. Just my opinion.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Since there's no image, I'll have to guess what you're talking about.

ASU did a PT42 helmet decal, which is allowed. They did a PT42 patch, which is allowed.

If they had tried to put "Tillman" on the back of everyone's jersey, that would be against the rules.

sorry I have trouble with posting a pic on mobile.

Reactions: bgprest

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
2015? ASU and adidas had to work the NCAA to get a special waiver to do that. They haven't done anything like that since.
Maybe Iowa State could do it as a one time thing then(I’d be happy with more). I’m sure in the light of current events the NCAA doesn’t want to be the ones to deny a waiver for a school to honor our first AA football player. Especially since we are the only FBS school with a stadium named after an African American.

I love the story of Jack Trice, I’ll never complain if Iowa State wants to do more.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I think it would look like opportunistic self promotion. If an independent group or organization would want to do some kind of spotlight on it great. I personally don't think the university waving its arms and saying "Hey look, we named our stadium after a black athlete!" would look real great at the moment. Just my opinion.
I kind of agree with this.
We should all be proud ISU stepped up and named the stadium after Jack.
In addition, we should all be very proud of Clay Stapleton and the Dirty 30 team.
They were going to play OU in Norman for the conference title. When they checked into their hotel all the white players were assigned rooms. The black players were told they could not stay there, and must seek different accommodation. Stapleton said, if that was the case, the team would return to Ames and not play the game. Famous OU coach, Bud Wilkinson, was brought in. He got the hotel to allow the black players to stay there. Stapleton was willing to cancel a chance for the title to do what was right. (I am 95% sure I have the facts correct. Note: ISU lost the game)