Penny Hardaway Next Memphis Coach

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Jeffries committed to Kentucky knowing that Hardaway was likely the next coach and Wiseman is still a heavy Kentucky lean. So I don't think it is at all guaranteed he gets the memphis kids just because he coached them. It would be funny though to see Cal get screwed. Cal is already pissed Coach K is recruiting one and dones better than he is right now.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The Penny hire is high risk for Memphis but the payoff could be huge. Also the three year deal gives them a chance to move on quickly if this experiment doesn't work.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Risky hire by Memphis, but as someone else pointed out hiring coaches is a crapshoot in general. It could just as easily go sideways for them if they hired a retread or an up and comer from a lesser conference.

I think his recruiting cache and connections will be helpful immediately. From there the critical thing will be filling out his staff with some experienced coaches who can hold his hand through the first season or two while he learns on the job.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
The Penny hire is high risk for Memphis but the payoff could be huge. Also the three year deal gives them a chance to move on quickly if this experiment doesn't work.

Penny is similar to Fred when we took a chance, except Penny has some coaching experience with ties to strong Memphis talent.

Hope this works out for Memphis and Penny. It is a risky hire, but payoff will be huge for sure.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Lil Penny always sorta creeped me out. Your second gif isn't helping me change my mind.

But he rolled with Tyra Banks, all good in my book!

I'm actually excited by this hire as Penny is my all time favorite player. My first username on the internet like in the mid 90s was LilPennyJr.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Heard a Memphis guy on a local radio show earlier this week. He said that attendance at Memphis games had gone from 16,000 under Pastner down to 6,000 this year. At one game this year the crowd was estimated to be less than 1,000. The Tubby hire was a mistake but the AD had to do something dramatic to get the fans back.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Heard a Memphis guy on a local radio show earlier this week. He said that attendance at Memphis games had gone from 16,000 under Pastner down to 6,000 this year. At one game this year the crowd was estimated to be less than 1,000. The Tubby hire was a mistake but the AD had to do something dramatic to get the fans back.
And that's a really nice arena too.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Can Penny keep his AAU team or does he have to shut that down?

Pretty sure it is shut down I think I saw they already change the Team Penny name to the previous one.

Without researching it it has to be against the NCAA rules. Otherwise every Coach would have their G-League AAU team. Could you imagine Coach Cal and Nike having a summer EYBL team?

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Pretty sure it is shut down I think I saw they already change the Team Penny name to the previous one.

Without researching it it has to be against the NCAA rules. Otherwise every Coach would have their G-League AAU team. Could you imagine Coach Cal and Nike having a summer EYBL team?
Yes... because it pretty much exists...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why do you hope it works out? I don't.

You weren't referring to me. But I hope it works out, I was a huge fan of Penny and Memphis St. basketball when I was a little kid. To be honest it was really cool going in the Pyramid in Memphis while we were in town for the bowl game since that's were I grew up watching them play.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You weren't referring to me. But I hope it works out, I was a huge fan of Penny and Memphis St. basketball when I was a little kid. To be honest it was really cool going in the Pyramid in Memphis while we were in town for the bowl game since that's were I grew up watching them play.

As long as Prohm is here I want Memphis to suck because of recruiting

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
As long as Prohm is here I want Memphis to suck because of recruiting

First I want to say I fully expect Prohm to continue recruit Memphis as it is a rich area for high major player. He has already shown not to be intimidated by blue blood name programs with the recruitment of Wigginton, THT, and Zion.
I think Memphis rising would be more of an issue 3 years ago rather than today. Even with Tubby recruiting at low major level Prohm wasn't that successful in the area and it will be even tougher with a local legend Penny as the coach. Since Prohm has established roots in Ames going on 4 years our shift to the Midwest. Getting extra compition in Prohm's old stomping grounds is less than ideal he has shown he isn't reliant or even really emphised recruits from Memphis. Honestly I'd prefer Illinois, Wisconsin, Missiouri and Minnesota schools to have less success than an AAC Memphis program.

• Agree
Reactions: knowlesjam