Penny Hardaway Next Memphis Coach

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Butch McRae!

54e007d3-404d-4ec5-94ec-6e2ffa56397a_screenshot.jpg

butch-mcrae.jpg

And he'll probably try to recruit the same way they did in Blue Chips.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The Penny Hardaway may or may not work for Memphis but I do like they recognized Tubby was trending down, made a change and took a big swing on a outside the box hire. They were left with few options considering the buy out and limitations of a AAC team without a lot of resources.

To Penny's credit he has been putting coaching work in both High School and AAU, making connections to the recruiting ranks and potential assistants. I think he is set up better to succeed than some pro coaches that just made the jump not fully realizing the grind of recruiting and academic restrictions that need to be followed. If he is able to get 2-4 of his players from his AAU team it could propel the program to top 3 in that conference in the long haul. If he fails, he'll be fine and the Memphis program will be at the same place it is as of today.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So far, Fred has proven to be the exception and not the rule. I wouldn't anticipate that changing here.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The Penny Hardaway may or may not work for Memphis but I do like they recognized Tubby was trending down, made a change and took a big swing on a outside the box hire. They were left with few options considering the buy out and limitations of a AAC team without a lot of resources.

To Penny's credit he has been putting coaching work in both High School and AAU, making connections to the recruiting ranks and potential assistants. I think he is set up better to succeed than some pro coaches that just made the jump not fully realizing the grind of recruiting and academic restrictions that need to be followed. If he is able to get 2-4 of his players from his AAU team it could propel the program to top 3 in that conference in the long haul. If he fails, he'll be fine and the Memphis program will be at the same place it is as of today.

My question is, are ADs even reading these contracts before they sign them? It's one thing for Iowa to sign on for Fran's ridiculous buyout. They have B1G tv money and a P5 football program to subsidize their stupidity if the rubber hits the road. Memphis has neither, and they're handing Tubby almost $10mil after one average and one poor year. If an AD is scratching that kind of check to a guy for further running a program into the ground, the coach shouldn't be the only head that's rolling.

Pat Forde had a good article (linked) about this the other day. One point he raised is that Memphis didn't hire the 50 y.o. Tubby coming off a strong run at UK. They hired 65 y.o. Tubby who did some ok things at Tech but was far from a world beater. Obviously they made a big mistake and it's going to cost them dearly, and now they're basically hiring Pastner again, except with more clout as a player and local legend.

What a cluster. Better them than us.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tubby-smit...hardaway-likely-costly-mistake-165813720.html

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My question is, are ADs even reading these contracts before they sign them? It's one thing for Iowa to sign on for Fran's ridiculous buyout. They have B1G tv money and a P5 football program to subsidize their stupidity if the rubber hits the road. Memphis has neither, and they're handing Tubby almost $10mil after one average and one poor year. If an AD is scratching that kind of check to a guy for further running a program into the ground, the coach shouldn't be the only head that's rolling.

Pat Forde had a good article (linked) about this the other day. One point he raised is that Memphis didn't hire the 50 y.o. Tubby coming off a strong run at UK. They hired 65 y.o. Tubby who did some ok things at Tech but was far from a world beater. Obviously they made a big mistake and it's going to cost them dearly, and now they're basically hiring Pastner again, except with more clout as a player and local legend.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tubby-smit...hardaway-likely-costly-mistake-165813720.html

Somewhat luckily for Memphis, they were able to get that buyout broken up over the next few years at least. That contract was really a terrible one for Memphis. They gambled on a washed up Tubby. Now they are going to gamble on Penny saving them.

We'll see if it works out.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Somewhat luckily for Memphis, they were able to get that buyout broken up over the next few years at least. That contract was really a terrible one for Memphis. They gambled on a washed up Tubby. Now they are going to gamble on Penny saving them.

We'll see if it works out.

I think I read somewhere that it's paid out over 6 years which does soften the blow somewhat. If I was guessing, I'd say Tubby probably negotiated some interest into that, but even if he didn't, setting ~$1.6mil/year on fire on a $50mil athletic budget is a tough pill to swallow. I'm sure they got FedEx and some other donors to step in, but that's costing them donor money that could certainly be better spent.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The best thing Tubby did at Tech:
tubby.gif

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Why arnt AD's held more accountable? The love to give contract extensions, yet the extension is worthless. If a coach does well he gets more money or moves on, if he losses, he get fired. No matter what it costs the college a lot of money. Look at Barta at Iowa, how does he even still have a job, after his actions the last 2 years and really 5 years there is not reason to keep him.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think I read somewhere that it's paid out over 6 years which does soften the blow somewhat. If I was guessing, I'd say Tubby probably negotiated some interest into that, but even if he didn't, setting ~$1.6mil/year on fire on a $50mil athletic budget is a tough pill to swallow. I'm sure they got FedEx and some other donors to step in, but that's costing them donor money that could certainly be better spent.
That depends on what they pay Penny. I’m guessing he’s relatively cheap, and if so the yearly cost on a head coach may not increase much, if not decrease. Then there’s the likely increase in ticket sales and donations.

Memphis is likely getting a reset without adding much cost, possibly netting more.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So far, Fred has proven to be the exception and not the rule. I wouldn't anticipate that changing here.
Has he?

In general, hiring coaches is a crapshoot, particularly when the previous one was struggling. Sure, Mullin hasn’t succeeded, but the list of guys with long coaching resumes has equal failure. And Penny’s resume is significantly different than a ex-player off the street.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That depends on what they pay Penny. I’m guessing he’s relatively cheap, and if so the yearly cost on a head coach may not increase much, if not decrease. Then there’s the likely increase in ticket sales and donations.

Memphis is likely getting a reset without adding much cost, possibly netting more.
Tubby was supposed to make $3.25M this next season so you may have a point, however I doubt Penny will be making less than $2M and anything over $1.65M will put them in the red.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

No it doesn't. They're throwing away money to pay for a bad coaching hire. You can average that out all you want, but it doesn't make the old contract a good one. Even if Penny works on an incentive based contract, you're going to pay for his success and you can bet if he has a couple of good years he and his agent will be looking to up the guaranty. That will come while they're still paying Tubby $1.5mil+ not to coach and will be money that isn't available to throw at Penny. If it doesn't work out, they've got two buyouts to pay.

Tubby's base salary isn't the issue. His ridiculously stupid buyout is and there's no way to polish that turd.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Tubby was supposed to make $3.25M this next season so you may have a point, however I doubt Penny will be making less than $2M and anything over $1.65M will put them in the red.
Prohm started at ISU at $1.5 million. It’s not expected Penny’s compensation will be high. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman said Memphis “low-balled” Penny and it’s only a three year deal.

Even at $2 million, $350k isn’t much for a reset and will quickly be eaten up by donations and sales returning.

Last edited:

Flynn4Heisman

Mar 24, 2006
Lifelong hardcore Magic fan (Holy crap we have SUCKED HARD these last five years), and Penny is my all-time favorite basketball player. I am officially a Memphis fan now. I am pumped!! The guy deserves the opportunity.