Penalty on Dicker's miss off the upright

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Can helmet just not be inside the guard? Flag was thrown before Latrell hit the guard, not the snapper.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
looks pretty weak to me, but I have not read the rules. Would be interesting to see how the Longhorns lined up against ISU for the kicks. I noticed that gap on the last kick was like 8 yards.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
A formation penalty is one of the easiest to call and there isn't usually any arguing it (unless the refs confuse the numbers like they did with Kolar/Soehner this year). There also isn't a ton of gray area in this kind of formation penalty. Either you are in the framework of the center or you arent. He was.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I mean... I'm just asking. There are several threads already for celebrating the victory. And that's awesome. The thread title was very clear on the topic.

I believe it was last week where I saw the ref help a player in this situation instead of throwing the flag.

Guess you don't get that luxury against the Cows

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I wonder if that's one of those plays the coaches will submit to the Big XII for a formal review. I don't know the details of the rule, but that seems very suspicious

It is pretty clear. Below is the exact wording from the rulebook.

ARTICLE 14. a. If Team A is in a scrimmage kick formation at the snap, any Team B player within one yard of the line of scrimmage must be aligned completely outside the frame of the body of the snapper at the snap

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I believe it was last week where I saw the ref help a player in this situation instead of throwing the flag.

Guess you don't get that luxury against the Cows

Check the replay. Bankston shifts right before the snap, which wouldn't give the official the chance to help him out.

Reactions: cstrunk

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa

ARTICLE 14. a. If Team A is in a scrimmage kick formation at the snap, any Team B player within one yard of the line of scrimmage must be aligned completely outside the frame of the body of the snapper at the snap
Thank you. The angle of camera isn't perfect, but it does appear that Latrell's left knee is lined up over the snappers left knee, at the least.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I'm pretty sure I saw Texas violating the 2 yard restricted area along the sideline like every play.....It's ******** the referee didn't throw the flag every play. That and Herman didn't always have his mask on. He's probably guility of thought crimes too....he hasn't proved he isn't. So many travesties of justice not called by this referee crew....they shredded the Constitution.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

If that gets called then it should get called a lot more. I am not necessarily opposed to this call, but if that is going to get called it should get called a lot more.

Help Support Us

Become a patron