Paul Shirley's reunion experience

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He coached our only 2 conference championship teams. That's pretty amazing. But he did it when he only had to play 3 of the top teams once per year and he did it when Kansas was a bit down. That's a fact. And it is also a fact that he couldn't even begin to maintain his success.

I mostly agree with the bolded (and definitely with the maintaining success). I've argued it with people in other threads about KU being down those years....but....if Iowa State doesn't beat Kansas five games in a row they're probably not really that "down". It's not like the other Big 12 programs of that era were going years without losing to Kansas, nobody has had success against KU in the entire history of the Big 12 like ISU did those two years. Head to head and hardware.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Remember when Jake had to play point guard because we had so little talent on that team? Good times.
I remember the good times with LE and they far exceed any position move because of lack of depth. You remember when Royce White played PG because of our lack of depth?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I remember the good times with LE and they far exceed any position move because of lack of depth. You remember when Royce White played PG because of our lack of depth?
Except Fred walked into a lack of depth and Larry recruited his way into a lack of depth. Lets not compare apples to oranges.

Reactions: Angie

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

I liked Larry, too, and thoroughly enjoyed the Fizer/Tinsley years. However, things went south in a hurry after those guys left. I'm not sure why you can't acknowledge that. Plus, I remember Royce's team making the NCAA tourney.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I liked Larry, too, and thoroughly enjoyed the Fizer/Tinsley years. However, things went south in a hurry after those guys left. I'm not sure why you can't acknowledge that. Plus, I remember Royce's team making the NCAA tourney.
He had a winning record his last year at ISU and only had 1 losing season at ISU. For Iowa State basketball that is a solid tenure.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Larry brought us to heights we hadn't seen before. You can all ***** about how hes not a nice guy, but obviously there was a method to his assholery. I respect Shirley for telling it how it is, but I'll never not be a fan of LE.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Larry brought us to heights we hadn't seen before. You can all ***** about how hes not a nice guy, but obviously there was a method to his assholery. I respect Shirley for telling it how it is, but I'll never not be a fan of LE.

Be a fan and take all the good with all the bad. Can't forget the bad which was all of his making. Can't forget the good which was all of his making as well.

Reactions: isu83

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Bottom line is we all know LE was likely an ******* and a tough coach to play for. He gave us some great things and some things that were downright embarrassing.
That being said i am tired of Paul beating this dead horse. We get it weve heard it over and over. I am tired of Paul when given the chance bashing his time at ISU because of his coach. Get some therapy dude and take a Disney princess' advice ...Let it go Let it go.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Except Fred walked into a lack of depth and Larry recruited his way into a lack of depth. Lets not compare apples to oranges.
I would say rebuilding after back to back conf titles (real titles, not just tourney) is a reality for all but the few elite programs, as they are going to be senior laden or have guys that leave early. Fred's ability to turnover a roster and make the tourney has probably spoiled us and we forget how hard that is to do.
I liked Shirley sounding off early on, but like many others i think its just childish now. He knew Larry was a jerk early on and could've left. He was on academic scholarship and was a solid player. He could've transferred and had plenty of suitors. Yet he chose to stay. He's pushing 40 and still wants to moan about his coach saying mean things to him 20 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Bottom line is we all know LE was likely an ******* and a tough coach to play for. He gave us some great things and some things that were downright embarrassing.
That being said i am tired of Paul beating this dead horse. We get it weve heard it over and over. I am tired of Paul when given the chance bashing his time at ISU because of his coach. Get some therapy dude and take a Disney princess' advice ...Let it go Let it go.
At least Paul cares enough about ISU to come back - didn't see Hornacek anywhere...

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Paul was going to be successful in life with or without being a member of the Iowa State basketball team. I think a lot of people forget about how incredibly intelligent he was. Pretty sure he had his pick of Ivy League schools to choose from coming out of High School.

Yep...and he didn't use a bball scholarship, he was on academic scholarship.