[Hold on, it’s not over yet] PATHWAY TO DALLAS

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
...... Special teams have improved. We have probably the best KR'er in the conference and a reliable kicker/punter....

Agree, STs have improved mainly with punt and kick coverage. While Eisworth may not have had many opportunities, our punt returns offer no threat. Kene is obviously the cream of our STs and he'll break one yet.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It all comes down to wins and losses, lets look at what each team has left.

KSU H OSU, @ ISU, H UT current record 3-0
OSU H ISU, @ KSU, H UT, @ OU current record 2-0
UT H ISU, @ KSU, @ OSU current record 1-2 loses tiebreaker to KSU & OU
OU H OSU, current record is 2-2, loses tiebreaker to ISU and KSU, but has it over UT
ISU H KSU, @ UT, @ OSU current record 3-0 holds the tie breaker over OU.

ISU needs to go at least 4-2 the rest of the way to make the championship game.
UT has to win out to have a chance.
OU has to win out.
KSU has to go 4-2.
OSU has the hardest path as they have to play the other four teams in the league that can win it.

If ISU or KSU win 5 of 6, they are in no matter what, unless OSU loses less than two, thereby knocking out either ISU or KSU.

This is all assuming that there are no major upsets by anyone, the only team that looks capable of pulling that off is TCU, and both KSU and ISU have already beaten them.

Reactions: amishclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you believe football is a three-phase game, K-State is the most complete. If you believe offense dominates and is most important, it's ISU. If you believe it's offense and defense, minimizing special teams, then oSu is my favorite to win the championship.
OSU hasn't played a good offensive team yet. Tulsa is 60th, Kansas is 71st and WVU is only 27th because they put up 625 yards against Eastern Kentucky.. I'm not saying OSU is bad on defense either, just that they haven't been tested like KSU and ISU have.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
OSU hasn't played a good offensive team yet. Tulsa is 60th, Kansas is 71st and WVU is only 27th because they put up 625 yards against Eastern Kentucky.. I'm not saying OSU is bad on defense either, just that they haven't been tested like KSU and ISU have.

oSu also has "Bedlam" lurking and that's always been a pit for the Pokes in Norman. There's no question their back-loaded schedule will be a challenge in and of itself.

That said, Tulsa just took down top10 UCF. So, that oSu victory shouldn't be minimized.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
oSu also has "Bedlam" lurking and that's always been a pit for the Pokes in Norman. There's no question their back-loaded schedule will be a challenge in and of itself.

That said, Tulsa just took down top10 UCF. So, that oSu victory shouldn't be minimized.
Being picky here, but UCF was #11. And UCF is not UCF of the past. Tulsa went 6-15 on 3rd down and had 3 turnovers, which I wouldn't exactly call a great showing by the offense.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
ISU has to not lose to the bottom teams that they have left to play and go 2/3 with OSU, UT and KSU, we do that and we are in the championship game. I really think even going 4-2 the rest of the way will get us a share of the conference title for the year.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
ISU has to not lose to the bottom teams that they have left to play and go 2/3 with OSU, UT and KSU, we do that and we are in the championship game. I really think even going 4-2 the rest of the way will get us a share of the conference title for the year.
So if ISU, OSU, UT, KSU and OU each have two losses, who goes to Arlington?

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa

Actually, if we lose 1 or 2 games, then losing to the bottom teams is better (strangely enough), because we are guaranteed to hold tie-breakers against other 1 or 2 loss teams at the top due to head-to-head records.

Just win them all and it won't matter!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If ISU beats OSU, I'll start getting excited for the conference title game. Not guaranteed by any means, but having tie-breakers over OU and OSU, a 2 and 1 game lead with Bedlam remaining, and Thompson's injury for KSU, to say ISU would be in the driver's seat would be an understatement.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
there is no sharing of the conference title in the Big 12. not if a championship game is played.

if that game gets cancelled, I doubt a winner is even declared this season. not with so many games already cancelled and the season being as short as it is

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's complex, so much so that I get lost, but here's the B12 tie-breaking methodology.

In the event two (or more teams) tie for second or any subsequent position, the tiebreaker procedures below will be used to break all ties as necessary. For the avoidance of doubt, only Conference records will be used throughout the process:
a. If two teams are tied, the winner of the regular-season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
b. If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the regular season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
1. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against each other in a “mini round-robin” format.
2. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against the remaining team(s) in the Conference
standings from top to bottom.
a. When comparing against the remaining teams in the Conference standings any two-way ties will be broken by head-to-head
competition before the comparison begins.
b. If more than a two-way tie exists amongst the remaining teams in the Conference standings, the record against the collective
tied teams as a group will be used.
3. Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points
allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.
4. Draw (In the event steps 1-3 cannot break a multi-team tie the prevailing team or teams will be determined by draw at the
Conference office).
In the event tiebreaking procedures are unsuccessful and a draw is necessary in determining any portion of seeding,
the following procedures will be used:
a. The draw will be conducted in public or with media attendance.
b. Institutions involved in the drawing have the right to have a local representative in attendance at the drawing.
c. A single slip of paper for each institution (with name or logo) will be placed in a container and will be drawn in order
of seeding from highest to lowest.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't believe anyone considers OU and TCU "the bad teams in the conference" though. K-State will struggle to score enough points regardless of who they play going forward without Skylar.

I wasn't saying OU and TCU are bad. I was saying I expect KSU to beat KU, Baylor, and WV (already beat TT) -- even with the backup QB.

Reactions: psychlones

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So if ISU, OSU, UT, KSU and OU each have two losses, who goes to Arlington?

Its not possible for ALL five team to end up with 2 losses. OU and UT already have 2 losses, so they both would have to win out to accomplish that. That is possible, but by UT winning out that means that OSU, KSU and ISU all have one lose. OSU gets a second loss to OU. So now they have reached two loses, since OSU, KSU and ISU all play each other, thereby knocking out two of those teams.

So at most you could end up with 3 teams with 2 losses.

• Informative
Reactions: Cytasticlone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Four teams can finish 7-2 with another at 6-3, which I think has a realistic chance of happening.
I frankly don't see 7-2 but rather an 8-1 champion or co-champions. Either ISU or oSu will have a huge advantage next Saturday after beating the next best team in the league. From there even losing one will be somewhat surprising particularly if it's ISU already having OU in the rearview mirror.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I frankly don't see 7-2 but rather an 8-1 champion or co-champions. Either ISU or oSu will have a huge advantage next Saturday after beating the next best team in the league. From there even losing one will be somewhat surprising particularly if it's ISU already having OU in the rearview mirror.

If ISU wins, I won't put KSU or Texas in the win column until 2 weeks after the game.
If OSU wins, I will just assume they'll lose to OU and then Texas or KSU are possibilities too.

Should be a fun ride. Just hoping OU isn't in the final game for once, and frankly Texas too.

Reactions: besserheimerphat