Pat Forde says B1G unsure about fall football

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I thought governors made the decisions? So 7 of the 11 states have Republican governors? They must not teach Government at the Big 10 institutions either.

State legislatures and US senators/reps don't matter? Weird.

Funny for a Big 12 fan to talk academic smack about B1G though.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I thought governors made the decisions? So 7 of the 11 states have Republican governors? They must not teach Government at the Big 10 institutions either.

Ive never heard or seen any news outlet, pundit, commentator or political hack use governorships to describe the political color of a state.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How many college kids are travelling across the country every other week if they aren't in a sport? That argument is mostly a red herring, players are at risk but it's fairly low regardless. The issue is coaches/staff/fans and their friends and family who are in higher risk groups is where the impact will be felt.

Those people have the means to opt out of any significant exposure

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah 8 and 12 years ago. Governor, both US senators, and both houses of state legislature are GOP. I'd say that = red.

3/4ths of house reps are blue. We’ll likely be 50/50 in the senate in a few months. If Trump wins Iowa, he will do it with less than 50% of the vote. Republican governor has 28% approval rating.

Iowa is as purple as it gets.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
3/4ths of house reps are blue. We’ll likely be 50/50 in the senate in a few months. If Trump wins Iowa, he will do it with less than 50% of the vote. Republican governor has 28% approval rating.

We have a GOP governor, GOP state senate, GOP state house, two GOP US senators, and Trump won the 2016 vote by 10 points. There's nothing purple about that.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Those people have the means to opt out of any significant exposure

Which ones? The staff and coaches don't, and they'll be going home to their families. They do have the ability to avoid friends, but realistically I'd set my expectations pretty low there just based on the average response in this country.

Don't get me wrong, the perception of social responsibility will be driving the actions of CFB as a whole but there's nothing fake about it, playing football will increase the risk to a huge amount of people considerably.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

$20 spot on that?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No ****. This thread went down the toilet.

It's kind of weird...it didn't even really get political...yet.

Just a really weird argument.

Like the thing about the Wizard of Oz and how a dwarf hung themselves.

It's a freaking bird people.

SlimLinearCivet-size_restricted.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Mmmm...

Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, PA, MI all went for Red in 16? That is half of the Big 10 schools covered and Im probably missing someone.

Makes more sense to say that about the Big 12, SEC and Pac actually. Those leagues do have pretty slanted governorships on that map. ACC and Big Ten kind of evenly split.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

True. It's purple because it was red a few years ago and is going to be blue again soon. Not because it's constantly balanced. I read she's one of five governors in the country with a lower approval rating than the president in her state.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
True. It's purple because it was red a few years ago and is going to be blue again soon. Not because it's constantly balanced. I read she's one of five governors in the country with a lower approval rating than the president in her state.

I would say it’s purple because it consistently vacillates between red and blue over 10 year periods.

I define red and blue states as those which are consistent strong holds for a given party. Iowa is rarely a sure bet. Whichever side is up is usually there by a wire thin margin, and will assuredly see flipping when people tire of them.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Who cares? B12 football is better and without those overhyped clowns to slobber over the jerk off pundits will see that the best conference has Brock Purdy - not some schlock qb that is a bust - Daniel Jones, the Biscuit, Scam Newton , Dak to name a few. Yes the B12 has had reaches ( Baker) but not like ACC/SEC. B1G has sex abuse and racism problems to deal with - football just hides their crimes.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Baylor says "hi, don't forget murder."
we wish Baylor would have been given the death penalty around here, at the very least kicked out of the conference, but the big 10 is known for cover ups...

I've been saying for months that there won't be college football.

At best, they give it a shot and it lasts a game or two before the season gets cancelled, but I'm sticking with what I've been saying all summer.... there will be no college football this season.
1918 season, world war and flu pandemic going on still played football... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_college_football_season