Parking for out-of-towners

Mike M.

Oct 24, 2017
Hello, my family is driving out from Chicago for the TCU game this weekend, and it's my first time visiting ISU or Jack Trice Stadium.

Based on this picture it's my understanding that there is grass parking available along University Blvd and 16th St. Does that parking fill up usually, and if so how early before game time? Are there other good spots to park at other then what's on the map? I'm bringing kids with so I'm just trying to have a game plan going in as far as where we will likely be able to park.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to checking out your campus this weekend!

Reactions: ATCy

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Be early and pray the lots are not closed due to water. If you go further east on 16th, the Christain school has parking.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The grass lots will fill up, hard to guess when. Vet Med is usually last to fill up and it is public.

There are several places to park on streets or central campus. The Memorial Union ramp caps out at somewhere around $12 daily and you won't be there that long. Also can park at East Campus Parking Deck and at spots near Lied Rec for free on weekend.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Is there still parking at the Towers? If so easy walk. Just follow the crowd or cut through the area of Greek houses and check out lawn displays

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Hello, my family is driving out from Chicago for the TCU game this weekend, and it's my first time visiting ISU or Jack Trice Stadium.

Based on this picture it's my understanding that there is grass parking available along University Blvd and 16th St. Does that parking fill up usually, and if so how early before game time? Are there other good spots to park at other then what's on the map? I'm bringing kids with so I'm just trying to have a game plan going in as far as where we will likely be able to park.

TCU fans? Yeah, you're actually looking for Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. You've been in the conference for how long and you think ISU in Ames?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is there still parking at the Towers? If so easy walk. Just follow the crowd or cut through the area of Greek houses and check out lawn displays
This would be the veteran move. Then sneak back west to 20 and avoid a crap ton of traffic.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

*Probably don't want to be in G2 or G3 if you're bringing kids.
*Public lots (tan color on map) will open at 8:30 a.m. How soon they fill up may depend on the weather that morning.
*Don't count on the lots by Hilton being available; Alumni Band will be parking in that area, and there's a volleyball match after football.

If the kids are old enough to make a bit of a walk, several lots on campus are free (as noted above; Lot 100 and East Parking Deck are closest).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You may also park around Hilton Coliseum for $20 as long as the grass lots are open (if not, G-7 shifts to Hilton).

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Leaving or staying the night?
Vet med, haunted forest or the north side of Hilton coliseum are all the public lots.

If staying in Ames uber or bus it. Ames is not a big town.

Mike M.

Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I ended up taking nfrine's advice and parked in the Christian school lot. We jetted out of there as soon as Hill threw his last interception, and since a lot of people stayed to storm the field, we got out of there and onto the highway pretty quickly.

Congrats on the win. Obviously not the result I was hoping for (makes the 5-hour drive back a lot less fun), but had a good experience at the game otherwise. I like your stadium, fans seemed nice, my kids had a good time. Our 4-year old was pretty amused at your mascot in a bathtub.

Hopefully will see you again in a couple years with a better result in mind. ;)

coolreed

Nov 14, 2017

Howdy Iowa State Fans !!! Last week I visited Ames for the first time, while attending the Iowa State / Oklahoma State Football Game. Had a great time in Ames and was impressed by the Fans of Iowa State, The Iowa State Football Team and the Iowa State Tailgaters. You are AWESOME! It was a great game win or lose. Your concessions at the 'Jack' were incredible. Felt like I was at a State Fair. Had my first Pork Tenderloin Sammich and it was really good.
A group of about 10 to 12 of us Cowboy Alums travel to one away game each season. And I have to say Iowa State has the best atmosphere in the Big 12. Great Fans, Facilities and Wonderful People. Wish you the very best and hope you win out and have a great Bowl Win.