Parents Little League Game Brawl in Colorado

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I was at my sons travel tournament last weekend and at another diamond these little girls were coloring the bricks with sidewalk chalk in the area next to the dugout. Game gets over and new parents move in. Some of their little girls are messing with the colored bricks and one of the little girls grandpa, that colored the bricks originally gives them a hard time. Well the crowd took a mob mentality and started yelling at the old man and were still talking crap about him an hour after the incident.
Parents are typically the problem in all of these altercations.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
giphy.gif

There is a guy with his shirt off. Check 0:36 of this video.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/06/18/video-brawl-little-league-game-lakewood-colorado/

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I umped two 7 yr old boys games (I was in HS) in my life and that was enough. Runner on first, pop fly to short outfield (really just beyond second base). Centerfielder can't make the catch, but the runner on first stayed close to the first base bag. Centerfielder picks up the ball and tosses it to second. Second baseman catches it for a split second and then drops it. I call both runners safe.

The coach lost his F'ing mind. "It was on the transfer! It was on the transfer! He's out!" (It was not) I just said "sir, these kids are 7. They don't turn double plays." That guy rode me the rest of the game. Probably not the best response, but it wasn't even a close call.

In that same game, the pitcher was struggling to throw strikes (what 7 yr old doesn't?). When he got 3 balls on a batter, his dad (the coach) would yell "Jesus Christ! Just hit the kid or walk him!"

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I umped two 7 yr old boys games (I was in HS) in my life and that was enough. Runner on first, pop fly to short outfield (really just beyond second base). Centerfielder can't make the catch, but the runner on first stayed close to the first base bag. Centerfielder picks up the ball and tosses it to second. Second baseman catches it for a split second and then drops it. I call both runners safe.

The coach lost his F'ing mind. "It was on the transfer! It was on the transfer! He's out!" (It was not) I just said "sir, these kids are 7. They don't turn double plays." That guy rode me the rest of the game. Probably not the best response, but it wasn't even a close call.

In that same game, the pitcher was struggling to throw strikes (what 7 yr old doesn't?). When he got 3 balls on a batter, his dad (the coach) would yell "Jesus Christ! Just hit the kid or walk him!"

You should have tossed him

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I volunteered (pulled from the crowd) to umpire a game for 8 year olds. Kid hits this ball solid, between the outfielders. He's rounding 3rd, making for home, the outfielder hurls the ball towards home, the catcher catches it. I call "OUT". The coach comes screaming at me, He's got to tag him, he's got to tag him. I calmly say, the kid threw the ball all the way from the fence, the catcher caught it (these are 8 year olds), he's out. The coach looks at me for a couple seconds, then says, Yup, you're right.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

I had a similar experience. umped 8 & 9 year olds when I was in HS (at most a sophomore, probably freshman) and got reemed by a players father for a ball call (singular) I made, would bring it up every pitch he felt was close and didn't let it go the whole game. Then there was a close play at 2nd (game was out of reach) and I called the player out, the coach lit into me as if it was the go-ahead run of the City Championships. I drove home with my 30 bucks and my mom asked how it went, I just answered "never again" and it was never talked about again haha

Reactions: throwittoblythe

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I volunteered (pulled from the crowd) to umpire a game for 8 year olds. Kid hits this ball solid, between the outfielders. He's rounding 3rd, making for home, the outfielder hurls the ball towards home, the catcher catches it. I call "OUT". The coach comes screaming at me, He's got to tag him, he's got to tag him. I calmly say, the kid threw the ball all the way from the fence, the catcher caught it (these are 8 year olds), he's out. The coach looks at me for a couple seconds, then says, Yup, you're right.
I'm not one to argue little league baseball (after umping middle school and high school for 5+ years), but I would be a little upset with that decision as it's not the right rule at all

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
And then we wonder why we can't get enough umpires and referees for youth sports...
As a high school basketball official who does 150+ games a year, this is the absolute truth.

Bring a young person in, let them see what we do as a team and they are all in.

Once they start year three, over 50% are fed up with the abuse and give up.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and srjclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was at a 8-9 year old little league game the other day when a woman lost her freakin' mind over the outs not being correct on the scoreboard. She stormed all over the field trying to figure out who was keeping the score, dropping F bombs, and flipped off members of the crowd her told her to calm down. Just nuts.

I played sports through high school and had a generally positive experience. I love watching sports. But at this point if all my kids decided they didn't want to play sports I'd probably be relieved. Youth sports are out of control.

Last edited:

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Finally watched the video

1. Why is there always at least one ass who takes a cheap shot in these videos? Always some dickhead throwing a shot who's either not involved at all or just taking the free shot

2. In Jesus name that woman filming was annoying

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can't help but think alot of this behavior is linked to parents throwing money they don't have at "training" and travel teams. Has to hit you pretty hard when you realize you've invested thousands and thousands of dollars for your kid to not be very good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron