Par 3 Golf Courses in Central Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
I've been taking my young son golfing over the last couple of years. Par 3 courses seem to work the best since it doesn't take as many shots for him to get on the green. Let me know of any Par 3 courses in Central Iowa. So far we've tried,

Lake Panorama West (Very good makes you use all of your irons)
Jester Park
Rolling Hills, Norwalk

I would also be interested in shorter courses as well like Homewood in Ames.

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Collison Par 3 over in Marshalltown. That's where I learned from my parents when I was 5. Nice little go around, longest hole is just over 200 yards. I would definitely recommend there.

As for short courses, The Oaks just North of Ames is short, although pretty woody so might not be best for a beginner. There's also a short course out in Colo that has big, open fairways that I would give a shot.

Cydole

Jun 27, 2006
Ames
The Hill outside of Grand Junction is pretty short and so is the course next to Colo. I can't think of the name.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Dougusta south of Webster City off HWY 17.

-keep

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I've been taking my young son golfing over the last couple of years. Par 3 courses seem to work the best since it doesn't take as many shots for him to get on the green. Let me know of any Par 3 courses in Central Iowa. So far we've tried,

Lake Panorama West (Very good makes you use all of your irons)
Jester Park
Rolling Hills, Norwalk

I would also be interested in shorter courses as well like Homewood in Ames.

I graduated from Panorama. We has some JV golf tourneys on the par 3 course. It was a nice change of pace. Lake Panorama National Course on the other side of the lake is a great 18 hole course. (not a par 3 of course)

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Collison Par 3 over in Marshalltown. That's where I learned from my parents when I was 5. Nice little go around, longest hole is just over 200 yards. I would definitely recommend there.

My friend and I golf at Collison at least 1-2 times a year. Good for kids and those like myself who are grown but struggle at the sport.

KeyserSoze

Apr 30, 2010
Where's this one at? I know briggs woods is on 17 but haven't heard of this one

Go south on 17 from Briggs Woods, turn east on D41, go east 1 mile. The course is on the south side of the road. There's no clubhouse, just start playing and Doug will catch up to you, usually on the 9th hole. This course has excellent greens and is worth checking out.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The Hill outside of Grand Junction is pretty short and so is the course next to Colo. I can't think of the name.

I'd say Twin Anchors has too many hazards for a young guy. It's short, but if you spray your shots or mis-hit it's going to be a long day. There's a water hazard on 6 of the 9 holes.

I would highly recommend Collison's. Not a hole over 120 yards on the back 9.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Where's this one at? I know briggs woods is on 17 but haven't heard of this one

its about 1.5 miles south of Briggs. Follow the signs to Kamrar... the course is 1/4 east of HWY17.

-keep