Paddy's and Sips seem to be having problems

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
In an old building that's been taken care of absolutely. In the case of Campustown not a damn chance. You don't even realize how ****** it is until you are in there with the sun out and lights on.

They don't need to be Olde Main/Whiskey River nice but they need a LOT of work.

I was just thinking this. I had been to all the bars in campustown in my era several times. Then for my part time job, I went into one at mid day (FOR WORK, DAMMIT), sun coming in, lights on so we could see what we were doing and holy [craig james], I was amazed how a 'cool place' in the dark was flat out creepy, nasty, and busted up in the light.

Although....I'll also admit, with drunk college kids..."this is why we can't have anything nice" kind of applies. (myself included back in the day...not a 'these damn kids' statement)

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Campus Town is a joke and something needs to change. I graduated in 2006 and I go back now and I cant even believe I spent so much time in those dumps.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
They don't need to be Olde Main/Whiskey River nice but they need a LOT of work.

The renovations to Whiskey River certainly have upped the attractiveness of the bar. I especially like the roll-up industrial door in the back that lets in a lot of light and fresh air when the weather is nice. However, I find that the clientele that WR attracts now is more geared to 30-somethings in town with little to no affiliation with ISU. At times, I've felt a bit out of place in a group of students down there.

It is, however, a good place to grab a burger, a beer, and watch sports!

PhillipJCY

Mar 7, 2012
New New York
Then you remember old Es Tas and the walls of flies in the bathrooms. Then there was Dangerous Curves (did anyone ever actually go in that place)

My name is PhillipJCY...and...man this is harder than I thought it would be...I went to Dangerous Curves willingly. The first step is admitting your sins.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I wasn't sure about the whole LANE4 redevelopment project at the time, but think I would definitely support it today. I think it would force the dumpy bars out and the ones that are willing to work to get their act together would stay, of course it would bring in the chain bars/restaurants too. They need some new business/blood in campustown, seems like its the same owners and businesses just cycling through every few years.

My problem with LANE4's idea of development (and likely what the city was trying to push on the area) is that instead of looking at it as an entertainment district, they tried to shoehorn it in as a 'something for everyone' area, putting in a grocery store and other shops that would likely not succeed in the area. Redevelopment as an entertainment district for college students and city residents alike however could be a successful idea. Get a range of bars in there there, get restaurants in there, maybe even a modern movie theater multiplex since ames doesn't really have one. Something like a scaled-down Power and Light district concept.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I used to work at Sips. It used to be the place to be. I haven't been there in years though.

However, not surprised to read this.

You're probably about my age then. I remember when it opened the rumors were that it was going to be a more classy place, with real glass pint glasses and stuff. I knew it was just going to take a few years before it turned into a **** hole. We never went to downtown Ames when I was in college. It's easier to believe this attitude has changed now after hearing these stories. Olde Main, London Underground, DG's, Whiskey...all beat out campustown bars by miles.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I am all for bars with character and a certain amount of grime but all of the bars in Campustown with the exception of WAS and whatever Headliners is called now are ******* disgusting. It is embarrassing how bad the Iowa State bars are compared to the UNI and Iowa ones. I'm not saying it isn't possible to have fun in Campustown but I shouldn't have to stand in urine, avoid monster roaches, have my feet stuck to the floor, and not be able to wash my hands at most bars.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The City of Ames really needs to bring the hammer down on campustown and bar owners. It is embarrassing that we have a campus entertainment area like this!!! They need to compliment what they have across lincoln way which is a beautiful campus for our student body!!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Cafe B, WAS and Capones were the good bars in 2008, I never understood the reason why everyone loved Paddy's, Sips and Mickey's... all were below average bars even at that point.

So at that address, it's been -- in no particular order:
Santa Fe Coffee
MoJazz
Capones
Spiritz (liquor store?)
51fifth (?)
Club Blow (?!?)
AJ's Ultra Lounge [coming soon]

Cripes.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Headliners is now Charlie Yokes, and that place sucks.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Santa Fe Coffee
MoJazz
Capones
Spiritz (liquor store?)
51fifth (?)
Club Blow (?!?)

Cripes.

Only ever knew it as Capones and MoJazz.

Its kindof like that place next to peoples,

Hometeam
(I think maybe quiznos)
Maidrite (there for like a year but never open?!?!)
Breakfast place

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Santa Fe Coffee
MoJazz
Capones
Spiritz (liquor store?)
51fifth (?)
Club Blow (?!?)

Cripes.

Yep, unbelievable. At least it looks like they are doing some sort of renovations to the building prior to this new place opening up (and I see the outside is painted red now), maybe they will at least clean it up a bit.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Santa Fe Coffee
MoJazz
Capones
Spiritz (liquor store?)
51fifth (?)
Club Blow (?!?)

Cripes.
This is confusing to me because the layout for that bar is probably the best of any in Campustown. I'm guessing the location off of Welch has a lot to do with the frequent changes.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I saw two fat rats humping in the supply closet at Cy's once. I had to get a couple more mugs to calm my nerves.

In hindsight it was the bartender humping some fat chick.

what the heck were hawks fans doing in Campustown??

CDN_Tailgater

Apr 11, 2006
With all this talk on the bars for campustown, I was hoping some students could fill me in on the Friday FAC scene as we are coming for the KSU game. Yes I know it aint what it used to be, but any information would be helpful...which ones are most packed and such.

Last edited: