Paddles in the water

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
You missed my point - I was responding to a post trying to minimize that 70 of Fleck's players attained to 3.0 or better last year. That's a tremendous accomplishment - just as ISU's 44 are.

I'll golf clap for both of the team's combined accomplishments. I'm sure there are individuals who have put in a lot of hard work and earned those grades - those accomplishments should be celebrated.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Your statement was "Kinda think getting a 3.0 in Big Ten school might be a little tougher than a Big 12 school". So you're stating that Big Ten schools academics are tougher - which is a completely ridiculous statement, especially when attributed to student athletes.
Uh, yeah they are? They are more academically selective as a group by far than the Big 12. Good grief. Look up any data that you want.
Yes, there is a sliding scale for athletes gaining admission - be it Harvard, Stanford, or Illinois or Texas or Minnesota. But student athletes still have to compete in the classroom for grades with those non-students.
No I don't think the UNC issue occurs anymore - be it Minn, ISU or anywhere.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
They are more academically selective as a group by far than the Big 12.

This is my problem with your statement - "as a group". That does not mean that any specific classes/degrees/colleges at ISU are any less selective than a particular B10 school. Your initial statement of saying a 3.0 at a B10 school > B12 school is misleading and derogatory towards both ISU and the B12. Stop selling ISU short.

No I don't think the UNC issue occurs anymore - be it Minn, ISU or anywhere.

Fair enough, like I said, there's zero reason to continue the conversation if that's what you think.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Speaking of his wiki, I either forgot about or missed this nugget when he was hired at UM:

Contrast with Campbell (and Rhoads before him) who went to work reaffirming commitments of high school seniors whose football-related worlds could've easily been turned upside down with a coaching staff change. According to 24/7, of guys still on the roster, a handful were committed before Campbell & Co. rolled into town. Some players probably de-committed, as they also had a little bit more time to find a new school. I remember two of the first phone calls Rhoads made as HC were to Josh Lenz and AJ Klein to make sure they knew they were still wanted in Ames and to ensure he was building relationships with them from day one. Both became true freshman starters on special teams and 3+ years at LB & WR.

I think that most coaches do this when they are hired. When Campbell was hired, he kept Lawrence White, Arnold Azunna, Carson Lensing, Cliff Fernandez, Jamahl Johnson. Other guys that were committed either decided to go elsewhere or were persuaded to. That's how it goes.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is my problem with your statement - "as a group". That does not mean that any specific classes/degrees/colleges at ISU are any less selective than a particular B10 school. Your initial statement of saying a 3.0 at a B10 school > B12 school is misleading and derogatory towards both ISU and the B12. Stop selling ISU short.

Fair enough, like I said, there's zero reason to continue the conversation if that's what you think.
My nephew goes to university of Minnesota. He has several friends at ISU. They have compared calculus classes and other similar classes, my nephew says that ISU classes are more difficult that Minnesota’s.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
My nephew goes to university of Minnesota. He has several friends at ISU. They have compared calculus classes and other similar classes, my nephew says that ISU classes are more difficult that Minnesota’s.
I'm not ripping ISU here. Our profile is much more in line with Big Ten schools than Big 12. But with the losses of Texas A&M, Colorado, and Missouri, we lost three esteemed public academic universities. Especially A&M.
That being said, there is no comparison regarding the acceptance rate and selectivity between U of Minn and ISU. Minn is much more selective and has higher standards; ISU takes almost anyone. Faculty have lamented this for years.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

Not surprised.
The argument some are trying to make with Big10 vs. ISU is a little stronger than using MN acedemic standards. But we were talking about Gopher players, not kids from NW or Michigan.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Kinda think getting a 3.0 in Big Ten school might be a little tougher than a Big 12 school? Just sayin...
You missed my point - I was responding to a post trying to minimize that 70 of Fleck's players attained to 3.0 or better last year. That's a tremendous accomplishment - just as ISU's 44 are.

All I said was that the Big 12 has an extra standard to be met to qualify for academic all-conference honors -- the athlete has to have participated in 20% of scheduled contests for the Big 12. 2nd, 3rd, 4th-year scout team guys don't qualify in the B12, but they would be eligible in the B10. That alone will inflate numbers.

And there's a reason folks say that the only thing harder than getting into an Ivy is failing out of an Ivy :cool:...(FWIW, I acknowledge that on average, the Big 10 has tougher admissions standards. Texas, for example, is similar to Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc to get into, at least when I was applying places 10+ years ago. The B12 has nothing close to Northwestern for admission standards and academic challenge.)

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021
As others have said, there is no denying that Minnesota has a lower acceptance rate than Iowa State. But as others have also said, there isn't necessarily that strong of a correlation between acceptance rate and how hard it is to get a 3.0 at a school. Some profs make it so you have to put in 0 effort in order to fail, some make it so even if you are a turbo try-hard, you will struggle to get a B. Athletes Are free to try to take as many of the former as they can, just like normal students are free to take them as well.

• Winner
Reactions: nrg4isu

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Kinda think getting a 3.0 in Big Ten school might be a little tougher than a Big 12 school? Just sayin...
Anybody remember the wrestler sui had that was a special ed student. Rimmington is touted academically and supposedly took 6 years to graduate. Kolar would be outstanding anyplace. Every school has courses that can allow anyone to graduate. NW may be only school that upholds academic standards for athletes. ND relaxed them after a period of struggling in FB years back.

Reactions: zcecsch and nrg4isu

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
As others have said, there is no denying that Minnesota has a lower acceptance rate than Iowa State. But as others have also said, there isn't necessarily that strong of a correlation between acceptance rate and how hard it is to get a 3.0 at a school. Some profs make it so you have to put in 0 effort in order to fail, some make it so even if you are a turbo try-hard, you will struggle to get a B. Athletes Are free to try to take as many of the former as they can, just like normal students are free to take them as well.
I've been told by Stanford grads the hardest part of getting a degree is being accepted.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
All I said was that the Big 12 has an extra standard to be met to qualify for academic all-conference honors -- the athlete has to have participated in 20% of scheduled contests for the Big 12. 2nd, 3rd, 4th-year scout team guys don't qualify in the B12, but they would be eligible in the B10. That alone will inflate numbers.
Except for Big 12 seniors - they don't have to have participated in 20% of contests. Otherwise I understand your point.
And it also obviously depends on your major. I know an ISU player who was an engineering major and just graduated - he didn't get a 3.0 and didn't make Big 12 all-academic team. But a very sharp guy.

• Agree
Reactions: BikeSkiClone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Anybody remember the wrestler sui had that was a special ed student. Rimmington is touted academically and supposedly took 6 years to graduate. Kolar would be outstanding anyplace. Every school has courses that can allow anyone to graduate. NW may be only school that upholds academic standards for athletes. ND relaxed them after a period of struggling in FB years back.
NW relaxed their entrance requirements for football players (shockingly) about the time they got good. Sometime after they got competent with Dennis Green, but before Fitzgerald was hired, iirc.

I also remember an article a few years back talking about how all of the video-gaming NW football players were all amused by (and proud of) their one teammate who actually studied all the time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron