PAC-12 News Coming Today???

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Idk maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it's all the same to me. Houston=Texas market. I assume most Houston residents are Longhorn or Aggie fans
Agree. I view UH and the Houston market like I would view Drake and the DSM market. Yes, Drake is in the city and has fans and alums here, but they are a distant third in fandom behind ISU and Iowa. Drake doesn't deliver the market, it just exists in it.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
Agree. I view UH and the Houston market like I would view Drake and the DSM market. Yes, Drake is in the city and has fans and alums here, but they are a distant third in fandom behind ISU and Iowa. Drake doesn't deliver the market, it just exists in it.
Drake is actually 4th. Way more panther fans. But your analogy is valid. Houston is at least 3rd but maybe 4th or 5th.

• Optimistic
Reactions: IASTATE07

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Long term when streaming #s matter Big Ten is going to realize it has a lot of these teams. I met more Cyclone fans in my 14 years in Chicago than NW/IL combined. Now I'm 8 miles from the Rose Bowl and go years without seeing a UCLA fan. I imagine Rutgers is the worst of the four if they are thinking Rutgers in NYC but I haven't spent enough time there to be certain.

I've met a couple SDSU grads in my years in LA. They weren't sports fans at all but not a large enough sample to really know and I have only been in SD for a few days. If they think San Diego State brings LA or all of Socal that's as absurd as saying South Dakota State brings the Chicago or New York.

FilthyShadow

Sep 21, 2011
The Big12 made 10 teams work for a decade. It doesn't seem like the Pac12 needs to add schools unless a media partner like Amazon is willing to pay for game inventory.
It was the Pac10 many more years than the oddly numbered Big12 has existed

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Long term when streaming #s matter Big Ten is going to realize it has a lot of these teams. I met more Cyclone fans in my 14 years in Chicago than NW/IL combined. Now I'm 8 miles from the Rose Bowl and go years without seeing a UCLA fan. I imagine Rutgers is the worst of the four if they are thinking Rutgers in NYC but I haven't spent enough time there to be certain.

I've met a couple SDSU grads in my years in LA. They weren't sports fans at all but not a large enough sample to really know and I have only been in SD for a few days. If they think San Diego State brings LA or all of Socal that's as absurd as saying South Dakota State brings the Chicago or New York.
I have buddies that live in NYC. People don’t even remember that Rutgers is actually across the river. NYU could start up a D1 football team tomorrow and they would instantly deliver a larger chunk of NYC.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Drake is actually 4th. Way more panther fans. But your analogy is valid. Houston is at least 3rd but maybe 4th or 5th.
I bet it's lower:

Texas
A&M
Some mega mix of Baylor, TCU, Tech
Houston

Plus you've got a group of rando's like UTSA, North Texas, etc. that are small portions but collectively will take a little chunk of the pie.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I bet it's lower:

Texas
A&M
Some mega mix of Baylor, TCU, Tech
Houston

Plus you've got a group of rando's like UTSA, North Texas, etc. that are small portions but collectively will take a little chunk of the pie.

Also, above Texas, you probably have the NFL, MLB, and NBA.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have buddies that live in NYC. People don’t even remember that Rutgers is actually across the river. NYU could start up a D1 football team tomorrow and they would instantly deliver a larger chunk of NYC.
It's been about 35 years since I lived in the NYC area. When the Big10 expanded I was surprised they didn't take Syracuse. I came across a lot more Orange fans in the city vs. Rutgers.

Maybe adding 2 schools losing their AAU status was too much for Big10 Presidents.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Also, above Texas, you probably have the NFL, MLB, and NBA.
I would probably pile on some neighboring CFBB teams above UH in Houston as well. I could see an LSU or and OU being more popular in the Houston marker.

Back to the Iowa analogy, wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska or KSU have more real engaged fans in DSM than Drake.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
50* in Pasadena tonight. That must be why the Rose Bowl is empty, players are wearing hoodies and the small number of spectators are in stocking hats and puffy coats.

:eek:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
50* in Pasadena tonight. That must be why the Rose Bowl is empty, players are wearing hoodies and the small number of spectators are in stocking hats and puffy coats.

That's what prompted me in finding that tweet.

Also, the Rose Bowls Turf looks like ****.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

A cold day / night at the Rose Bowl is no joke! I went to the 2004 USC @ UCLA game on the first weekend of December, and it was C-O-L-D in the 30's overnight, but it warmed up to a balmy 61 during the afternoon! There were Angelinos in winter coats and wool caps at the game. :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron