P5 Champ Game attendance... what if ISU was in?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

If ISU was in the Championship game, would you rather....

• Total voters

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Watching the Pac12 championship the attendance at this game is embarrassing. Its at Levi Stadium and both team are from CA. I'm sure neither team having much of a chance at the playoff is part of it but the third deck is closed and the lower bowl is blotchy. Stanford has won 3 of the last 5 so perhaps there is some fan fatigue there but still.

This makes me wonder, if ISU happened to make it to the Big12 Championship game, would we be well represented? between the distance and a lot of people having to pick between the championship and the bowl game, i would assume a lot of people would forgo the champ game and spend their money on the bowl game.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don't know how many would actually make both trips, but I do know that we would have 40,000+ fans at both the Big 12 Championship and the following bowl game.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't know how many would actually make both trips, but I do know that we would have 40,000+ fans at both the Big 12 Championship and the following bowl game.
If we were in maybe the Sugar Bowl I could see 40,000...there's next to zero chance we'd draw 40,000 to Dallas. What happens is a lot of people say "oh yeah! I'm totally going!" And then they realize they don't want to take Friday off to drive down or it's more expensive than they realize or their buddy isn't going to be able to make it so they don't want to go anymore.

A bowl game is a lot different...it's a mini vacation you get a few weeks of notice to plan instead of a week.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If we were in maybe the Sugar Bowl I could see 40,000...there's next to zero chance we'd draw 40,000 to Dallas. What happens is a lot of people say "oh yeah! I'm totally going!" And then they realize they don't want to take Friday off to drive down or it's more expensive than they realize or their buddy isn't going to be able to make it so they don't want to go anymore.

A bowl game is a lot different...it's a mini vacation you get a few weeks of notice to plan instead of a week.
Our fanbase is large enough to get 40,000 to our first ever Big 12 Championship appearance and possibly our first Conference championship in more than 100 years. It's once in a lifetime, literally. People would travel to that game that haven't been to a football game since they were students. I don't know how big our alumni base is in Texas, but combine that with the others that would travel and I have no doubt we would have 40,000 in Dallas.

The drive to Dallas from Des Moines is only 1 hour longer than it is to Memphis. (What did we have, 25-30,000 fans in Memphis in 2012? And that was to play Tulsa, not a Big 12 Championship) You could leave DM by 8am and be in Dallas by 6-7pm. Iowa State's enrollment is 36,000+ and with the direction our football program is heading, the fanbase is growing every year.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I have to go with both. Seeing the Clones play in their first confrence Championship would be incredible. Then, based on results, we would very likely be in an NY 6 bowl game, which would be awesome

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
If we were going to CFP, I'd do that instead of Championship Game. Otherwise probably CG.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
If we made it I was going to do both. Do the Champ game on the cheap, just drive there, watch the game, drive home. Then Spend money and enjoy the bowl game like a vacation.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
You gotta do the Championship game because there would be no guarantee I would ever see this in my life...plus you wouldn't know we would make it to the NY6 so why wait

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
latest

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I would probably try to do both but if it came down to it, I'd do the B12 Championship Game. We wouldn't get to the CFP so whatever bowl game we would end up would be largely inconsequential, but a B12 Championship.....that's potentially literally a once in a lifetime thing. Not only that, but it's an easy drive to Dallas on Friday, watch the game, drive back on Sunday. Two nights in a hotel. Not a bad weekend.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonedave25

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If it were to be in Kansas City in another 10 years it would likely have a chance to be over the current capacity of JTS.

In Dallas for what would be the first ever title in modern history? It probably depends on the buildup. Imo 40k is a good guess, as it’s likely the season was already anticipated as a bowl year and it started to look like it could happen back in October.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron