MLB: Ozzie vs. Joe West

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Ozzie vs. Joe West - Inside the White Sox

"Because he's a f---ing a--hole, that's what he is. I just went out to ask him ... I wasn't asking about the balk because you're not allowed, anytime you go out there to ask about balk or whatever. The thing I went out to ask him about was why he was embarrassing Buehrle. I'm not going out to argue about the balk because the rule, but I went out to ask him why he's embarrassing Buehrle and he give me one of this [dismissing him with his hands]. When you're a professional and you have to respect the managers, the way we're supposed to respect the umpires, they are supposed to respect back. Obviously they have more power than we have and we have to wear it every time that happens. That's the reason I got tossed. I don't think he has the right and the power to let people know who is the chief on the field. We know he has to control the game, we know he has to control all the s---, but in the meanwhile, I don't think it was the right thing to do, like we balked him while we were on the field. Joe has been like that for a lot of years, and he's always going to be like this. I'm not going to change it, nobody is going to change it, but sometimes he thinks f---ing people pay to watch him f---ing umpire. He's the type of guy that wants to control the game, it's good for the game, and to me one of the best umpires in the game, no doubt. But in the meanwhile, those years are on his shoulders and kind of heavy and showing people who he is. I deserve respect and the players here deserve respect here, too. When you tell the manager to get the f--- off the field, I don't think that's a good way to handle situations. No matter what you say, what you do, how long you talk here, Major League Baseball doesn't do s--- for anything. I'll be waiting for my fine, get 'em the next day.''

Much more at the link.

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
There is no doubt in my mind that Joe West called the second one so that he could run Beuhrle.

Notice in the video, he calls it and then doesn't take his eyes off of him. Its pretty obvious...

All umpires do this at every level from SlowPitch up to the majors, there comes a point where you don't want to deal with a guy and you want to toss him without it having to be a judgement call. If you can cross the line into a black and white situation its much easier to do. (BTW- This is coming from an umpire...Me!)

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
They discussed this pretty extensively on sportscenter, and West made the wrong call both times. You have to come to a complete stop if you go to the plate with the pitch, you don't need to stop if you're throwing over to first. Buerhle's had one the game's best pickoff moves for years and never had this issue so I've got to the think West has something up his ***.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
They discussed this pretty extensively on sportscenter, and West made the wrong call both times. You have to come to a complete stop if you go to the plate with the pitch, you don't need to stop if you're throwing over to first. Buerhle's had one the game's best pickoff moves for years and never had this issue so I've got to the think West has something up his ***.

I haven't seen the video but I'm guessing that West did not call the balk because he didn't stop before throwing to first...he probably justified it by saying he was misleading the runner.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I haven't seen the video but I'm guessing that West did not call the balk because he didn't stop before throwing to first...he probably justified it by saying he was misleading the runner.

I thought that it looked like his torso was making a move towards home while the arm threw to 1st. I can see how it could be interpreted as deceiving the runner. Not clear-cut either way in my opinion.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Is Joe Wezt the same umpire that got ****** that Yankee-Red Sox gales take forever? He has THE smallest strike zone ever.

Help Support Us

Become a patron