Outsiders Take on ISU's 08 Season

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
OK, ok, everyone can tell by my screen name that I am not necessarily a Cyclone fan. I live in Ames and see several ISU games a year so I am going to toss in my two cents worth. No, I am not going to predict a season record one way or the other.

I expect to see ISU have an improved football team this season. I was impressed with Chezik's coaching as the season went on last year. The squad as a whole seem to be in better physical condition and more able to play hard for a full four quarters.There should be more available depth this season because of decent recruiting. Let's face it injuries are a fact of life in the Big 12.

I will predict that ISU will have improved QB play this year regardless which QB is behind center. Bret Meyer is a great kid and talented but he took too many hits early in his career and always seemed to be looking where the next one was coming from. How could anyone blame him? The running game will have improved downfield blocking this season. Todd Blythe may have been a fantastic receiver but did anyone ever see him throw a block?

The main reason I think ISU will be better is that it is year two under Gene Chezik. The kids will not be trying to adjust to new coaches and an entirely new system. Even the weight training and conditioning program was completely changed. They will play more as a team and less as individuals. My only prediction is that the Clones will win the games they should and let the rest know that they were in a football game. Can ISU fans ask for more at this time?

Great post, head and shoulders above what NU Follower is spewing. Actual thought process rather than lazy negativity.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
I expect to see ISU have an improved football team this season. I was impressed with Chezik's coaching as the season went on last year.

The main reason I think ISU will be better is that it is year two under Gene Chezik.

How can you expect anyone to take anything you say about ISU seriously if you don't even know how to spell our coach's name?

Good post, otherwise, but really...

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
How can you expect anyone to take anything you say about ISU seriously if you don't even know how to spell our coach's name?

Well, I was going to point out the same, but look at his name. You know where he was schooled. :wink:

Seriously, though, good post/analysis.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I will predict that ISU will have improved QB play this year regardless which QB is behind center. Bret Meyer is a great kid and talented but he took too many hits early in his career and always seemed to be looking where the next one was coming from. How could anyone blame him? The running game will have improved downfield blocking this season.

Agree with your total post but especially think this part is spot on!!!:notworthy:

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
"

Well, I was going to point out the same, but look at his name. You know where he was schooled.

Yes, I may not spell the man's name correctly. Regardless how you spell it, I will gladly trade you head coaches. Cute and finesse are terms to describe ballet. I love smash mouth physical offenses that actually know what a fullback is and how to use one. Gene understands that if you beat on a team long enough they wear down and the opportunity to win will normally be there. Tired, weary players make mistakes and the team that takes advantage of the others mistakes takes home the victory.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
In 2003, Bo Pelini inhereted a defense that was 53rd in the country, if I remember correctly. He turned the 2003 defense to #11 overall and #1 in pass efficiency defense.

In 2008, Carl Pelini will inherit a defense that was 112th in the country. I think he can get into the top 40 to 50 in total defense.

I added some clarification to your post. The biggest difference between 2003 and 2008 that I see (more than talent) is that in '03, Bo was strictly the D-coord. This time around he is the head coach. While I'm sure he'll have a large impact on the defensive results, he's got a lot of other things to worry about, too. I think a lot of NU fans are forgetting that the coach they just ran out of town focused solely on one side of the ball. How did that work out?

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Nebraska's offense should be more efficient than last years. More experienced in the OL, QB (w/ 3 starts), all RBs. NU lost top two receivers.

I think NU will run the ball much more this year. Pelini will want a more ball control type team and they be able to mix in some spread offense (zone reads) with Ganz at the helm.

NU's offense should be a top 30 offense this year.

Ok, I was under the impression Ganz graduated last year, so that does make a difference.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I added some clarification to your post. The biggest difference between 2003 and 2008 that I see (more than talent) is that in '03, Bo was strictly the D-coord. This time around he is the head coach. While I'm sure he'll have a large impact on the defensive results, he's got a lot of other things to worry about, too. I think a lot of NU fans are forgetting that the coach they just ran out of town focused solely on one side of the ball. How did that work out?

I believe Chizik has commented on this before as well. As head coach he feels less like a coach and more like a manager. This does give another reason to believe that Pelini's impact on the defense may be lessened this time around.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Bo Pelini is no Gene Chizik, and that is why ISU will go to a bowl game and NU will be at home during bowl season.

and yes, im dead serious with that prediction

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron