Outsiders Take on ISU's 08 Season

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Hello ISU fans,

It's almost that time again, less than 3 weeks away from the start of the best sport in the world. Here's my take on your ISU cyclones as the season approaches.

I'm not going to do a game by game prognostication, instead provide a couple of opinions on the upcoming ISU season while living in Des Moines.

I can't see a strength anywhere on this team. Something that you can rely on week in and week out all year long.

I see a below average offense (10-12 in the big XII) for the upcoming season. I think the ISU offense is a year away from being good. Young OL, QB will cause inconsistency this year. Teams will stack the line in order to take away the run. If one of your new receivers steps up as a deep threat, that should help the overall offense, and loosen up the types of fronts you will see.

I see a below average defense (8-10 in the big XII). Loosing Tuba will greatly hurt your run defense this upcoming year. I see your pass rush being a little better, but not much. If that's the case, and ISU can't put pressure on opposing QBs, the pass defense will struggle again this year. ACE was the heart and soul of the D last year, and will be greatly missed. Special teams will struggle due to the youth.

Overall, I see 3-5 wins for 2008. I will be watching your young OL & DL throughout the year to #1) see what kind of talent is there #2) see how much they improve. I see ISU being much improved next year, unfortunately ISU will have A&M, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska on the road in 2009.

I would have bought two of the cy's pack and gone to the Nebraska game, but I fractured my ankle last week playing softball.

Good luck this year.

Hey all,

Let's not be too hard on this person. I think he/she might be mentally challenged. I've bolded some non-sensical editorializations made.

Dear NUFollower,

Thank you for making predictions on our team. I am glad that you like football. I like football too. Do you like Des Moines? I used to live there and I like it. Just like you, I can't see your team either. I think they are in a city called Lincoln but it is very far away so I can't see them and if I could they would probably look like little ants. I am sorry that you broke your ankle. It must hurt very bad. One time I broke my arm. It hurt very bad. If you want to be my pen pal just write me back here on the Cyclone Fanatic.

Good Luck to your Nebraska Cornhuskers,
weR138

Reactions: jdoggivjc

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
I posted last year how I thought ISU would win 4 or 5 games last year and got blasted then as well. I'm trying to figure out how I'm flaming though.

My prediction is based mostly upon my opinion that the ISU offense will be 10-12 in the Big XII and the defense will be in the bottom half as well.

FYI posting a thread on a forum full of the "fanatics" of a certain fan base and saying they are gonna have a crappy dead last season isn't one the smartest things you can do. What did you expect to happen? Maybe to the casual fans that don't really pay attention but not the people that spend 80% of their work day reading this board.

Baffan

Aug 22, 2007
Ames, IA
N U Follower

Unlike what seems like a good majority of the posts on this thread I mean it when I thank you for your opinion. Granted I do not agree with parts of it such as our team having NO strengths and I do not agree with your prediction on how well your beloved Huskers will do this season but I do agree with some of your statements.

This is the preseason folks, the only thing we have to base predictions on are how things look on paper and to use our best judgment on how recruits and returning players have excelled since the previous year. I understand that all the fans and myself included have much hope for the cyclones but to say that we WILL win 5+ games as one poster has, is not the smartest move.

I also agree with 22 when he commented on how we believe the hawks and husker's fans are so bad when if you read the responses to an outsider's OPINION half of the posters didn't even take the time to really understand his post and just spammed the /flame button.

IMO ISU/KNU are both in well in the bottom half of the big 12 and until I see some games this fall its a toss up of who will win the game. As of now I will say ISU not only because I'm biased as a ISU fan but because IMO we looked like a better team than Nebraska did at the end of the year last year. As both teams should improve from last year, I see ISU having a greater ability to improve more than what Nebraska is capable of.

Thanks again NU Follower for an attempt in bringing some of us ISU fans back to earth in seeing what very well could happen for us this fall. Just a word of advice is next year don't post as a NU fan and I guarantee this thread would only be 2-3 pages long with people saying how they might not agree with your prediction but see that it as least reasonable.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
N U Follower

I understand that all the fans and myself included have much hope for the cyclones but to say that we WILL win 5+ games as one poster has, is not the smartest move.

Calling me out, eh?:wink: Of course I don't know the future, but I would be shocked to see us win less than 5. We have to have some fun, I mean this is all speculation. Honestly, I will be disappointed with less than 6 wins, not because I think we should win that many, just because I love it when we go to bowl games. :smile:

Baffan

Aug 22, 2007
Ames, IA
Calling me out, eh?:wink: Of course I don't know the future, but I would be shocked to see us win less than 5. We have to have some fun, I mean this is all speculation. Honestly, I will be disappointed with less than 6 wins, not because I think we should win that many, just because I love it when we go to bowl games. :smile:

Haha, thank you for the correction :smile:. I hate when someone says something WILL happen because at least everytime I have thought such things it comes back to bite me in the behind. I honestly still have no idea what our outcome will be this fall. My hopes are 3-7 wins. I'm not just excited for our first game to see Cyclone football but so I can finally see our team in action to see if we can live up to at least a portion of the hype they have created, well at least hype within Cyclone Fanatic.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Hello ISU fans,

It's almost that time again, less than 3 weeks away from the start of the best sport in the world. Here's my take on your ISU cyclones as the season approaches.

I'm not going to do a game by game prognostication, instead provide a couple of opinions on the upcoming ISU season while living in Des Moines.

I can't see a strength anywhere on this team. Something that you can rely on week in and week out all year long.

I see a below average offense (10-12 in the big XII) for the upcoming season. I think the ISU offense is a year away from being good. Young OL, QB will cause inconsistency this year. Teams will stack the line in order to take away the run. If one of your new receivers steps up as a deep threat, that should help the overall offense, and loosen up the types of fronts you will see.

I see a below average defense (8-10 in the big XII). Loosing Tuba will greatly hurt your run defense this upcoming year. I see your pass rush being a little better, but not much. If that's the case, and ISU can't put pressure on opposing QBs, the pass defense will struggle again this year. ACE was the heart and soul of the D last year, and will be greatly missed. Special teams will struggle due to the youth.

Overall, I see 3-5 wins for 2008. I will be watching your young OL & DL throughout the year to #1) see what kind of talent is there #2) see how much they improve. I see ISU being much improved next year, unfortunately ISU will have A&M, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska on the road in 2009.

I would have bought two of the cy's pack and gone to the Nebraska game, but I fractured my ankle last week playing softball.

Good luck this year.

I agree totally. I would just move your win total to 4-5

With that said. I see Nebraska being maybe a 7 win team. That defense last year was one of the worst I've seen in a long time (bad coming from an ISU fan). Good thing we fumbled on the goal line and Meyer threw a 100 yard INT otherwise we most likely win in Lincoln last year.

Last edited:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
this kid is just a fool.. i would take our defense over theirs anyday of the week considering we are returning the likes of james smith, allen bell, chris singleton, jesse smith, rashawn parker, and of course kurtis taylor the beast. i feel that kNU is in for a huge surprise when they come to ames.

oh any by the way NU Follower Gene will out coach Bo for many many years to come

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Well, I bet Ball State has never won in Lincoln either, but I sat in Memorial Stadium last fall and watched them repeatedly punch the Blackshirts in the face for 4 quarters. Oh, and if not for a case of the dropsies, I might have witnessed the worst home loss in school history.

Why so confident about those two games? Was it the 35 point beatdown at Mizzou? Or maybe it was the 76 points allowed at KU. Sure I'd be confident about winning at least one of those games too. :confused:

NU could hold Kansas 50 points under last year, and still be giving up enough to lose handily. Man, that's awesome!!:yes:

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
Everyone is undefeated right now and has a chance at the National Title. We'll see what happens as the season progresses: hope becomes reality, players do/don't develop, injuries occur, players make plays, players make mistakes, players are overhyped, refs make bad calls, a turnover changes the momentum of an entire game, the ball bounces right (or wrong), a holding penalty takes away a TD, leaders are made.

I can't wait.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Everyone is undefeated right now and has a chance at the National Title. We'll see what happens as the season progresses: hope become reality, players do/don't develop, injuries occur, players make plays, players make mistakes, players are overhyped, refs make bad calls, a turnover changes the momentum of an entire game, the ball bounces right (or wrong), leaders are made.

I can't wait.

Good point... You kinda sound like Dan McCarney though with those comments. Thanks for leaving out, "NO doubt about it"

I just wanted to bring up something another poster pointed out from your last post.

You guys surrendered the North about 5 years ago and haven't been back to reclaim it. It's ok to let go now. The rest of the country has.

Except Trev Alberts

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
Good point... You kinda sound like Dan McCarney though with those comments. Thanks for leaving out, "NO doubt about it"

I just wanted to bring up something another poster pointed out from your last post.

You guys surrendered the North about 5 years ago and haven't been back to reclaim it. It's ok to let go now. The rest of the country has.

Except Trev Alberts

Kind of. NU won the north in 2006. NU has only won the North twice in the last 10 years.

I froze my azz off in KC @ the 2006 Big XII championship game. If NU beats Mizzou in the Big XII opener, I'll be buying my Big XII championship game tickets the next day as it's in KC again this year.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Kind of. NU won the north in 2006. NU has only won the North twice in the last 10 years.

I froze my azz off in KC @ the 2006 Big XII championship game. If NU beats Mizzou in the Big XII opener, I'll be buying my Big XII championship game tickets the next day as it's in KC again this year.

Hmmm Damn.. Must of forgot about 2006. But only 2 times the last 10 years.... Wow the mighty have fallen.

You can go ahead and buy those tickets. With your schedule you will just be selling them back to Missou fans. Even with a loss to you.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Everyone is undefeated right now and has a chance at the National Title. We'll see what happens as the season progresses: hope becomes reality, players do/don't develop, injuries occur, players make plays, players make mistakes, players are overhyped, refs make bad calls, a turnover changes the momentum of an entire game, the ball bounces right (or wrong), a holding penalty takes away a TD, leaders are made.

I can't wait.

Dear NU Follower,

I can't wait for football either because everyone is undefeated and everyone has a chance at the National Title and players throw balls and players tie their shoes and I buy hot dogs and refs wear striped shirts and Nebraska has an N on their helmet and Colorado has a buffalo on their helmet and people wear sweatshirts and players fumble balls and players grab face masks and kickers kick the ball and yelling is loud.

Your Pal,
weR138

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Dear NU Follower,

I can't wait for football either because everyone is undefeated and everyone has a chance at the National Title and players throw balls and players tie their shoes and I buy hot dogs and refs wear striped shirts and Nebraska has an N on their helmet and Colorado has a buffalo on their helmet and people wear sweatshirts and players fumble balls and players grab face masks and kickers kick the ball and yelling is loud.

Your Pal,
weR138

I know your trying to make a point... You could add a couple periods in there.

Me not smart, but me know where periods go. I like typing on computer and making fun of people too. It's the highlight of my day. I think we can get along, we both Clone fans. I like shinny things too, mom won't let me stay on computer long. Tuff Tiger might get me. Did you know they play football in Missouri too. Small world.

I like being annoying too, another thing we have in common. Not sure why people diss outsiders so much on this site. We sound much like Hawkeye fans, even talk like most of them.

Anyway... You get my point.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Hello ISU fans,

Good luck this year.

bellzisu,

Since you've chosen to rally to this "outsiders" side perhaps you can show me anything in this post which could be qualified as analysis. These are opinions from a myopic Nebraska fan which are intended to get a negative response. I am merely accomodating our guest. "I fractured my ankle last week playing softball"? Are you positive that this guy's not ********?

Now, I'm sorry you had to read that NUF. Sometimes grown-ups have serious discussions. I will still be your pen pal.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
my analysis of nebraska:
I see a bellow average cumulative intelligence among its fans, an arrogance exceeded only by the bush administration, and a high rate on gonorrhea.

...I think this says it all.

Good luck this year.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Dear NU Follower,

Your Pal,
weR138

That's good stuff right there. If I knew how to give rep (I'm not even sure that's what it's called) there would be some heading your way.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Re: Outsiders Take on ISU's 08 Season (Isn't far off)

bellzisu,

Since you've chosen to rally to this "outsiders" side perhaps you can show me anything in this post which could be qualified as analysis. These are opinions from a myopic Nebraska fan which are intended to get a negative response. I am merely accomodating our guest. "I fractured my ankle last week playing softball"? Are you positive that this guy's not ********?

Now, I'm sorry you had to read that NUF. Sometimes grown-ups have serious discussions. I will still be your pen pal.

My whole point on this part, was that we don't have to be complete ******** to this guy.

I got negative rep for my last post, just because I was sticking up for this guy. He had an opinion. This is a message board. I have seen people that are Cyclone fans say things far worse and bash our team worse then he did, but since they are a Cyclone fan all was well.

Any outsider we label as a troll right from the beginning. If Cyclone711 attached his name to this instead of NUFollower, would things be different?? Probably...

I guess I'm sick of posters acting like 5 year olds behind a screen name. You wouldn't act like this face to face with a person, so why do it on here. OH WAIT... He is a Husker fan... Thats why. Makes so much sense now.

Stay classy people. I'm affraid that our fanbase is becoming what we have dispised all these years. A mixture between Hawkeye and Husker fans.

Last edited by a moderator: