Outsiders Take on ISU's 08 Season

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
Hello ISU fans,

It's almost that time again, less than 3 weeks away from the start of the best sport in the world. Here's my take on your ISU cyclones as the season approaches.

I'm not going to do a game by game prognostication, instead provide a couple of opinions on the upcoming ISU season while living in Des Moines.

I can't see a strength anywhere on this team. Something that you can rely on week in and week out all year long.

I see a below average offense (10-12 in the big XII) for the upcoming season. I think the ISU offense is a year away from being good. Young OL, QB will cause inconsistency this year. Teams will stack the line in order to take away the run. If one of your new receivers steps up as a deep threat, that should help the overall offense, and loosen up the types of fronts you will see.

I see a below average defense (8-10 in the big XII). Loosing Tuba will greatly hurt your run defense this upcoming year. I see your pass rush being a little better, but not much. If that's the case, and ISU can't put pressure on opposing QBs, the pass defense will struggle again this year. ACE was the heart and soul of the D last year, and will be greatly missed. Special teams will struggle due to the youth.

Overall, I see 3-5 wins for 2008. I will be watching your young OL & DL throughout the year to #1) see what kind of talent is there #2) see how much they improve. I see ISU being much improved next year, unfortunately ISU will have A&M, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska on the road in 2009.

I would have bought two of the cy's pack and gone to the Nebraska game, but I fractured my ankle last week playing softball.

Good luck this year.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
I might go to the Husker board and predict 3-5 wins for them and see what happens to me. You are certainly entitled to your opinon but there is a reason they actually play the games and don't rely on expert pre season analysis to decide how the season pans out.

Reactions: superdorf

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I can't see a strength anywhere on this team.

Lawls. We're pretty stacked at RB.

Like was said by another poster in this thread, maybe I'll go make a post like this on a Fusker board and predict 3-5 wins and see how that goes over. I wouldn't be making anything up, because my true prediction for them is 3-5 wins.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hello ISU fans,
I can't see a strength anywhere on this team. Something that you can rely on week in and week out all year long.

I'd have to agree that we can rely on you not seeing a strength in this team all season long.

I also think that we can rely on seeing the Pinkshirt Defense all season long from the Huskers. How's that for an "outsider opinion"?

I think that you underestimate both the talent and learning curve of our players, and most especially, our quarterbacks. A year away from being exceptional, perhaps, but not a year away from being "good".

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
ALUM2002 -- Maybe it's just me, but if the combination of Scales, Robinson, and Bass is a 'strength' of the team with their career accomplishments and/or statistics, I think you just proved my point.

ACLONE -- Do you think the ISU offense will be better then 10th in the BIG XII in total yards or points per game?

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
A stable of very good running backs, a QB situation we're all excited about, an O-line that returns the core and that was very good at the end of last season, a very good group of receivers, the entire secondary returning - some of whom may not start this season - both rush ends returning - and a defensive minded coach. We have what looks to be, at least on paper, a dramatic improvement in special teams and depth. An off-season development program that has completely changed the character of the individual players. Recruitment of players into positions that we needed. Maybe not the greatest overall recruiting class, but for what was needed, an excellent recruiting class. McCarney didn't leave the cupboards completely bare, and Chizik has filled in the slots, both through development and new players.

In Cyclone country we're pretty convinced this is the start of the turnaround. We'll have to wait and see how the season works out, but I for one am very much looking forward to October 18th.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
guys dont read into this too much. lets not forget that kNU is first on every list this guy creates. and then he probably put their second team defense as the second best defense in the conference, etc. because, as we all know, no football team ever on any level will ever compare to those guys from lincoln. and if you dont believe me, just ask them.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
ACLONE -- Do you think the ISU offense will be better then 10th in the BIG XII in total yards or points per game?

That's really a trick question, considering all of the powerful, explosive offenses in the conference--tenth in the conference could well be in the top forty nationally.

On the other hand, yes, I could see not only Baylor below our Cyclones, but K-State and perhaps Colorado as well. We might even finish ahead of A&M in their coaching transition season.

A better, more athletic and physical offensive line, talented quarterbacks, a blend of experience and youth at wideout--and Alexander Robinson and J.J. Bass are better than you think. Yes, I'm satisfied with our offense this season.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually would take our defense over Nebraska defense. The kNU offense should be pretty good though. I do not think Carl Pelini has as much talent as he needs. The kNu linebackers and front line are not that good as a group. Assante may be the best defensive player .

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
That's really a trick question, considering all of the powerful, explosive offenses in the conference--tenth in the conference could well be in the top forty nationally.

On the other hand, yes, I could see not only Baylor below our Cyclones, but K-State and perhaps Colorado as well. We might even finish ahead of A&M in their coaching transition season.

A better, more athletic and physical offensive line, talented quarterbacks, a blend of experience and youth at wideout--and Alexander Robinson and J.J. Bass are better than you think. Yes, I'm satisfied with our offense this season.

But that's point I'm trying to make in my initial post. ISU may be pretty decent on offense, but only 10-12 in the Big XII in scoring. If that's the case and the ISU defense doesn't look to be great in any one area (DL, LB or DB). That's why I see problems.

The Big XII has really changed and is an explosive offensive league with 10 or 11 returning starters coming back at QB. ISU will have a difficult time being as good defensively this year as they were last year. If that's the case, I can't see more than 2 conference wins for the clones.

It's a little different way of looking at things.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
But that's point I'm trying to make in my initial post. ISU may be pretty decent on offense, but only 10-12 in the Big XII in scoring. If that's the case and the ISU defense doesn't look to be great in any one area (DL, LB or DB). That's why I see problems.

The Big XII has really changed and is an explosive offensive league with 10 or 11 returning starters coming back at QB. ISU will have a difficult time being as good defensively this year as they were last year. If that's the case, I can't see more than 2 conference wins for the clones.

It's a little different way of looking at things.

Similarly, I expect kNu to improve some on defense and not be quite as good on offense - so a wash. If kNu gets as many yeard this year, they will have to be superlative.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think preseason predictions are pretty worthless. There are lots of questions at ISU, but there are just as many at NU, including a new coaching staff. Let's all get excited about the upcoming season for our teams and see what plays out.

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
our defensive backs are a definite strength this year. we return all four starters plus some talented additions in kennard banks, leonard johnson (who you guys were recruiting as well) and terran benton (who you were also recruiting).

also, why dont you just stick to your own message boards? is that how you spend your days going on opponents websites and flaming all day long? seriously get a life.

Reactions: Cyclonestate78