Our record does not matter this year

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think this year is a necessary step for us to get better. We have a ton of sophomores playing. In reality, they are not all ready to play Big 12 football. Playing time this year should make our team as a whole much better the next two years. This should lead to a more stable program going forward where we only play underclassmen if they are studs, not because we need them.

Reactions: Aclone

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
They still lost....by 1 or 100, a loss is a loss, no matter how much you try to polish it.... How are they better? Care to provide statistics on your claims? The conference is worse than it was in 2007...The Big 12 will not put 2 in the BCS this year as they did in 2008 and finish with 5 teams in the top 25 at the end of the year...granted there are less teams now, the number would be 41.67% of teams in the top 25 in 2008, thats 5/12.....

I would start with 18 points a games in 2007. I am not calling this team good, but 07 was a bad team.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
If you do not think our record matters, read this and guess who said it.

"That starts and probably ends with more victories in the league. I think we're recognized by most as a team that plays smart, a team that probably overachieves. But you've got to go beyond overachieving. You've got to start increasing your level of play, your talent base and so forth and win more games than you're losing in league play. When that happens, I think the vision of our program will change from a nation standpoint."

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If you do not think our record matters, read this and guess who said it.

"That starts and probably ends with more victories in the league. I think we're recognized by most as a team that plays smart, a team that probably overachieves. But you've got to go beyond overachieving. You've got to start increasing your level of play, your talent base and so forth and win more games than you're losing in league play. When that happens, I think the vision of our program will change from a nation standpoint."

Exactly. We are going to be well below that this year no matter what. Next year the record matters again. Now this year is pretty much prepping to make our next year as successful record wise as possible.

It almost seems as though the coaching staff has been taking that stance all year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Getting a quarterback not named Austin Flynn was what really helped us improve between 2003 and 2004, not getting blown out in 10 games.

I'd say that's a slight simplification. If that were the case I doubt 06 would've been such a bad year. We had the same QB as in 04 that led the turnaround as a freshman. Surely he didn't regress in 4 years. The defense made huge strides in 2004. In our losses in 03 we gave up 40 ppg. In conf. play in 04 we only gave up 25 ppg.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
We've been god awful the last 7-8 years sprinkled in with very very mediocre 6-7, crappy bowl games. For Iowa state any bowl game is okay but for once in my life I wanna see ISU play a January 1st bowl game or make a BCS. It'll probably never happen and if/when it does it'll be a fluke and the following season will probably be mediocre

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
Exactly. We are going to be well below that this year no matter what. Next year the record matters again. Now this year is pretty much prepping to make our next year as successful record wise as possible.

It almost seems as though the coaching staff has been taking that stance all year.

Unfortunately, I agree with that last bit. When Coach Rhoads was not all rah-rah like he has been the last 2 years, that should have been a dead giveaway that we should have very low expectations. In both 2011 and 2012 he came out of fall camp saying that we were fielding the most talented teams he had ever had. This year, he said we were young and inexperienced, and that this team will grow more than any other team he has coached. That is coachspeak for we will suck but should be moving in the right direction before the season is over.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
We've been god awful the last 7-8 years sprinkled in with very very mediocre 6-7, crappy bowl games. For Iowa state any bowl game is okay but for once in my life I wanna see ISU play a January 1st bowl game or make a BCS. It'll probably never happen and if/when it does it'll be a fluke and the following season will probably be mediocre

The only Big 12 bowl on Jan 1 is the Fiesta. Big 10 has 5 bowl games counting the Rose Bowl. Jan 1 games don't happen to Big 12 teams.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Getting a quarterback not named Austin Flynn was what really helped us improve between 2003 and 2004, not getting blown out in 10 games.

Also should clarify my point. I'm not saying getting blown out helped, I'm more pointing out that young teams can get their teeth kicked in one year and get much better the next year.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
Also should clarify my point. I'm not saying getting blown out helped, I'm more pointing out that young teams can get their teeth kicked in one year and get much better the next year.

I do not disagree, but I think most of that improvement has nothing to do with getting their teeth kicked in during the previous year. I think 99.9% of a team's improvement in how they play is completely independent of their record in the previous year.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I do not disagree, but I think most of that improvement has nothing to do with getting their teeth kicked in during the previous year. I think 99.9% of a team's improvement in how they play is completely independent of their record in the previous year.

Like we agreed upon yesterday. I don't think the OP is saying that we will be good next year because we suck this year. More to do with young players getting reps.

But I don't want to get involved in anything tonight, so in closing....

We love America, We love Ames, Iowa, and say it with me, WE LOVE THE CYCLONES!

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
Like we agreed upon yesterday. I don't think the OP is saying that we will be good next year because we suck this year. More to do with young players getting reps.

WE LOVE THE CYCLONES!

And looking at your profile picture, CHIEEEEEEEFS!

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

Brett, if you keep bringing common sense to the conversations here, people will run you off and label you a moral victory fan.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

Unless that record, and getting their teeth kicked in, is contributory to the team developing a chip on their shoulder. That can do wonders for a the way a team responds the following season.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
The moral victory crowd would crow that, at #60, we're the highest (Sagarin) rated 1-4 in the land.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
You need a skilled QB to win. Hoks seem to have quite the O line every year and they've been going no-where.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
After last week's loss against Texas, the goal of getting to a bowl game was over IMO. At that point, wins and losses don't really matter anymore, as a fan, UNLESS it gets to the point where we lose recruits over it.

Does that mean I'm not going to continue to support the team and hope they win as many games as they can, of course not. But I'm looking at a lot more things than just the scoreboard. I'm intrigued at what could be in store for this program in the next few years ahead.

I look at this OL, and it's almost entirely youngsters. They are getting some awesome experience right now against some really good football teams and it's only going to help them. Same goes for the WR's too. So those are the positives. We are VERY, VERY young, but we're getting great experience right now. And we're getting better.

I do agree with those that say the coaching needs to improve as well though. I still see a lot of things that bother me. We can't afford to play 10-15 yds off of WRs. If our DB's are that bad that we have to give that kind of cushion, we're doomed. The tackling has resorted back to where it was during the UNI game. There is absolutely no excuse for poor tackling at this point, none.

And our DB's ball skills are non existent. If we had good ball skills yesterday, we get 2-3 more INT's, and possibly one of those could have been a pick 6. Our guys have to turn around and see the ball at some point. All good DB's do. You cannot make any INT's if you just stare into the WR's chest the entire play.

And I'm not sold on Mess still either. I thought he was improving since the Iowa game, but then yesterday didn't look so good once again. Our first 3 series must have been 3 and outs yesterday, it sure seemed like it. The defense was already gassed late in the 1st quarter. How Mess can not have some plays designed to beat aggressive defensive teams that blitz a lot is still beyond me. The next time I see us beat a blitz by hitting a quick slant over the middle to the TE will be the first time I've seen us do it. It should be an automatic hot read. If the LBs blitz, the TE should just slant right into the area vacated by the LBs and bingo, you got an easy 10-15 yds.

I agree with everything you said. Some fans are making it seem like we are heading back to being that 0 win team who gets blown out every week. The fact of the matter is that our biggest loss this year is 7 points. A more experienced team (having guys like Jake, Knott, AJ Klein etc.) and we are probably a 3-2 team right now, maybe 4-1 even. The youngens are missing some of the small things that they will get down as they get older.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron