Our last win in Austin

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
He's the missing cog. Seriously though, that 2005 team was pretty good. Can't believe they returned Clark, Stinson, Blalock, and Carr in 2006 and didn't even come close to sniffing the tourney. Can't help but wonder what may have happened in '07 with a senior back court (Stinson, Blalock) and if Carr hadn't transferred. If I remember right, Morgan's departure kind of led to all of that fallout.

You mean Wayne Morgan led to a big fallout, right? He was a horrible coach. I remember that team in 2006, where we added Taggart, and Morgan couldn't do anything with that team. Just goes to show you how awful of a coach he really was. No reason that team shouldn't have won 22+ games with Stinson, Blalock, Carr, Taggart, Homan, and Clark.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
You mean Wayne Morgan led to a big fallout, right? He was a horrible coach. I remember that team in 2006, where we added Taggart, and Morgan couldn't do anything with that team. Just goes to show you how awful of a coach he really was. No reason that team shouldn't have won 22+ games with Stinson, Blalock, Carr, Taggart, Homan, and Clark.

Homan had gaduated

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Wayne Morgan makes Scott Drew look like John Wooden.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Is there anywhere down south that we don't play awful at?

Historically speaking, ISU is pretty terrible everywhere away from Hilton.

I think sometimes people forget that winning on the road is a pretty infrequent phenomenon. Some folks on here like to complain if we only beat TCU by 5 or whatever, but usually ISU doesn't win those games at all.

That win in Austin in 2005 snapped a 28-game road losing streak. It had been 4 years since an ISU MBB team won a game away from Hilton.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Homan and Taggart were never on the same team. I'm fully convinced Homan was the only reason ISU made the tourney in 2005, but as I recall, ISU went 6 deep that year. The second Homan left that team, the discipline fell through the floor.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

Holy ****, what a revision.

First Taggart was sick with the flu preseason, and never got back to full strength. The rest of the frontcourt, minus Clark, was all young and inexperienced. That team was nothing like the one before.

I know that people like to pile on Wayne Morgan, but all he really managed to do was take over the titanic and guide it to the shore. LE made the program a national embarrassment.

We were turned down by such legendary coaches as Jeff Lebo, and Steve McClain, neither of whom are still coaches.

We won 20 and 19 games, we made the NIT semis, and the NCAA 2nd round. He won AT Kansas, AT Texas, and beat Tech when Knight was the coach there.

Was he a great coach, no. But the shots that people take at him, while praising mediocrity like mccarney, and mcdermott, etc. is pathetic and such a pitiful example of a bad group think.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Wayne Morgan makes Scott Drew look like John Wooden.

What a pile of crap. This is bad and you should feel bad

If chewey didn't have a top 150 player to dangle in front of an MVC team, he would be an assistant at UNI or North Dakota right now, begging for a chance to go back and be a D 3 coach

Watch what happens when dougie graduates and he fails miserably again. See where he is in 5 years.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I agree with this 100%. Coach Morgan had his faults mind you, but at least he made the post-season with Iowa State when McDermott didn't...

People like to pile on Wayne Morgan, but if I were to have a choice between him and McDermott, it is Wayne Morgan in a landslide.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Did I miss something with Carr? I don't remember him being that great of a player... kind of like John Neal, made his legend off of one game then disappeared into obscurity.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Tasheed Carr transferred to St. Joseph's and played decent there. Was never a good player with us. Had that "fluke" game at Texas.