Our cyclones didn't give up , so I refuse to give up on them.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The D didn't play all that well, but did enough to win. The reason the offense deserves so much blame is that because of our 3 and outs TTU had 17 possessions, which is 3-5 more than normal. Even teams that play fast and score in huge chunks like Oregon, Baylor and Mizzou had 12-14 possessions yesterday. Besides, our defensive style, which has been successful under Burnham gives up yards but minimizes points allowed. So flip that around - considering how many possessions ISU had, 311 yards is unbelievably pathetic.

Two of those possessions started inside the Tech 25 (thank you special teams and defense), and both ended with touchdowns. So that's 14 points scored with a maximum of 50 yards to gain. Plus the kickoff return eliminated an entire drive. We were 4/4 on scores after entering the red zone; on the year, ISU has scored on 17/17 red zone appearances, with 13 touchdowns.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
If a Rhoads doesn't get rid of Messingham after this year I will lose quite a bit of faith and probably will not make the drive every weekend. Year 5 I expect better, yet I'm patient. I like seeing improvement in each game but if we go 2-10 that is an extremely bad skid mark on a program. In year 5 no coach should be 2-10 unless he sucks at coaching. Some of you ignore reality. A rebuilding year should be 5-6 wins not 2 wins. Some of you like to ignore reality. I won't give up on this team but you can bet your a s s jack trice won't be seeing season ticket records next season if were 2-10 this year. Find a way up win 4-5 games and I'll be happy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The only thing worse than having fans angry about a loss is to have them apathetic about one

As long as the fan base is still engaged things will be fine. The next time a loss is met with a collective yawn then we'll have a real issue

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Nobody wants to keep hearing about "next year", however, we have 4 losses by a mere combined 23 points. We have been in every game. We will have the bulk of our lineup back, on both sides of the ball, for another year, and a lot of it for 2-3 more years. Even a natural born pessimist has to acknowledge how bright the near future looks.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
Nobody wants to keep hearing about "next year", however, we have 4 losses by a mere combined 23 points. We have been in every game. We will have the bulk of our lineup back, on both sides of the ball, for another year, and a lot of it for 2-3 more years. Even a natural born pessimist has to acknowledge how bright the near future looks.

Not being mean here so please don't take it that way, but this is an example of what I call ignoring reality. I bet you've got UNI in that point total? A game that really was a 15 point loss minus the freak fumble walking into the endzone. The Iowa game was a blowout until their defense relaxed and we got a great bounce on an onside kick. Texas (we won so the one game I'm happy with so far), and yesterday a game in which we lose by 25+ if Tech just cuts their major mistakes in 1/2.

I agree we've got some youth to point to. I really like what Wimberly is bringing to the table. Bundrage looks like a legitimate WR with a tremendously bright future. The OL isn't great, but we can hope for dramatic growth. Defensively, we don't quite have the players to point to when it comes to the future, but the defense has played better than the offense so we probably aren't trying to project as much with that side of the ball.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If a Rhoads doesn't get rid of Messingham after this year I will lose quite a bit of faith and probably will not make the drive every weekend. Year 5 I expect better, yet I'm patient. I like seeing improvement in each game but if we go 2-10 that is an extremely bad skid mark on a program. In year 5 no coach should be 2-10 unless he sucks at coaching. Some of you ignore reality. A rebuilding year should be 5-6 wins not 2 wins. Some of you like to ignore reality. I won't give up on this team but you can bet your a s s jack trice won't be seeing season ticket records next season if were 2-10 this year. Find a way up win 4-5 games and I'll be happy

If ISU were normally winning 7+ wins in the regular season, then sure a rebuilding year would be 5-6 wins. But ISU hasn't won 7 regular season games since 2005. Who's ignoring realty?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Not being mean here so please don't take it that way, but this is an example of what I call ignoring reality. I bet you've got UNI in that point total? A game that really was a 15 point loss minus the freak fumble walking into the endzone. The Iowa game was a blowout until their defense relaxed and we got a great bounce on an onside kick. Texas (we won so the one game I'm happy with so far), and yesterday a game in which we lose by 25+ if Tech just cuts their major mistakes in 1/2.

I agree we've got some youth to point to. I really like what Wimberly is bringing to the table. Bundrage looks like a legitimate WR with a tremendously bright future. The OL isn't great, but we can hope for dramatic growth. Defensively, we don't quite have the players to point to when it comes to the future, but the defense has played better than the offense so we probably aren't trying to project as much with that side of the ball.

I love how many people say we won the Texas game but then points to us as a 1-4 team and how unacceptable it is. If we won the Texas game wouldn't that make us a 2-3 team with a close lose to Tech. That means if we won yesterday which we could of we would have a winning record right now? Either we are close to being a good team with a lot of potential or we're not. Which is it?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
If ISU were normally winning 7+ wins in the regular season, then sure a rebuilding year would be 5-6 wins. But ISU hasn't won 7 regular season games since 2005. Who's ignoring realty?

Agreed. we have had 1 Winning season in the last 8. hopefully we arent 2-10 bad, but if we are its not that shocking.

I dont go to games for the wins. Otherwise I would have been done LONG ago. CPR has proven that losing seasons with the right upsets can still be fun.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

Not to worry. Opinions are debatable...mine being no exception to the rule. But as far as ignoring reality, I can assure you reality has not been ignored. In fact, ignoring reality is disregarding scenarios that did actually happen ( the freak fumble, Iowa's D loosening up, the onside kick recovery, etc). Those things are part of the game. REALITY=4 losses by a combined 23 points....REGARDLESS of how that reality manifested. Ignoring reality= saying we beat Texas when the score indicates otherwise. I do think we out played Texas and "deserved" to win, but we didn't. So, in regards to ignoring reality...seems to me the shoe is on the other foot.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I see improvement every week, which tells me all I need to know about our youth, work ethic etc. I don't like the record we have, but a lot of positives to keep improving upon, I will never give up on them just keep improving boys!!

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if someone already said it. I agree with the OP but that being said, as a diehard Iowa State fan, I wouldn't give up on the team even if every player and coach gave up. I know how much I love my Cyclones that no matter what the team does I would sill enjoy going to and watching the games.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We are 1-4, but we are not a "bad" team.

I think the coaches will be able to recruit and tell kids that "we are this close" and "you may be the one who makes the difference."

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We punted 11 times in a game that ended up 42-35.
That's pert ner impossible.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
So in a game where our O line was hopelessly outmatched, our only hope for a running game didn't play in the second half(on pace for 120), and Sam is hobbling around we find a way to manufacture 28 points against a stout D and there are people still calling to fire Mess? I'm no Mess fan but some of you need to come back to reality.

berther48

Jul 10, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
I will never give up!
Loyal Sons forever TRUE!

It's nice to see that their are a lot of Cyclone Fans that live that motto...
Loyal Sons forever TRUE!
We need to support our teams not tear them down.
They are somebody son's trying awfully hard to win.
Go Cyclones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron