OU HOOPS: Two transfers in last three days

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Other notables from all-time turnover leaders:

Kris Dunn 24.8%
Michael Carter-Wiliams 24%
Tyshawn Taylor 22.6%
Evan Turner 21.5%

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Numbers lie. Try watching them play like I did. Just in their NCAA loss Young has a couple of remarkably stupid deep shot attempts. I don't know if he's a bad teammate but they didn't play as a team.
Outsiders will never probably know.

He hit on 3/9 from deep in that game. The rest of his team was 1/11.
He shot 67% from two point range, the rest of his team shot 47.5%.

If his teammates are pissed he shot the ball too much, that is on them. They would have been watching the tournament from their couch like the rest of us without him.

I don't like Trae Young and that is probably due to ESPN's coverage of him, but he was far and away their best player this year and was the only reason they made it to postseason play.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The turnover was undoubtedly his weakness, however you are comparing usage rates to raw data. Trae Young's usage rate was considerably higher than these players you mentioned.

For reference, Trae Young had a TO Rate of 20%. High, but lets compare it to the second and third people on your list that he was so much worse than.

The 2nd place person on this list, Kevin Galloway, had a usage rate of 24.9%. His turnover rate was 31.5%

The 3rd place person on your list, John Wall, had a usage rate of 27.3%. His turnover rate was 24%. Eric Bledsoe, also on that team, had a rate of 27%.

The other 3rd place player on this list, Greivis Vasquez, had a usage rate of 26.8%. His turnover rate was 24.4%

So, statistically speaking, Young was actually much better with the turnovers than the people you mentioned above.
So Trae has the highest usage rate in history? Is that what you are saying?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He hit on 3/9 from deep in that game. The rest of his team was 1/11.
He shot 67% from two point range, the rest of his team shot 47.5%.

If his teammates are pissed he shot the ball too much, that is on them. They would have been watching the tournament from their couch like the rest of us without him.

I don't like Trae Young and that is probably due to ESPN's coverage of him, but he was far and away their best player this year and was the only reason they made it to postseason play.
It’s too bad Kruger could never get him up to 100% usage, they would have been undefeated. Give Kruger credit, there were a lot of bad coaches out there not using their best player at Young’s rate, including most of the top-25. Think of how much better Loyola would be if the had Custer taking 35-footers.

Last edited:

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Geez, guys. I came hear to read about transfers, and this thread is nothing but "Trae Young Trae Young Trae Young." Worse than ESPN...

I think it would be short-sighted to blame it all on one player - guessing there was a lot going on behind the scenes - but that team clearly hated each other by the end of the year.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Geez, guys. I came hear to read about transfers, and this thread is nothing but "Trae Young Trae Young Trae Young." Worse than ESPN...

I think it would be short-sighted to blame it all on one player - guessing there was a lot going on behind the scenes - but that team clearly hated each other by the end of the year.

I don't blame Young. He was just doing what the coach let him do. I blame Kruger.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
The Shepherd thing wasn't super surprising. Just like all the other sheep in the flock he wants more playing time and was unhappy with the Trae Young hero ball.

The McGusty transfer really took the wind out of OU's sails though. Not sure how you rebound from that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Numbers lie. Try watching them play like I did. Just in their NCAA loss Young has a couple of remarkably stupid deep shot attempts. I don't know if he's a bad teammate but they didn't play as a team.
Outsiders will never probably know.

Pretty much this. I don't care about his stats. Those kinds of shots show a lack of control. It can't be fun as another player to know you can't even get set up because your PG is going to loft it from anywhere.

From what I saw last year, OU looked like a team with some talent that just needed experience, and maybe just getting into the tournament was their next step even without Young. If that were the case, that shows that he really didn't make them that much better overall.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Yeah, that was a bad coaching job. Kruger should have tried to reign Young in when things were going well because you knew those 30 foot shots weren't going to fall all season. Big 12 coaches figured out how to slow Young down and by that point, the rest of the team spent most possessions standing around waiting for him to make a play. Thing is, they had a lot of good returning players. Dolitttle and McGusty had really good FR seasons. Christian James is a good player. Latin played a bunch for a Final Four team. McNeese has a ton of potential. Odoms and Sheppard were talented backups. And Manek was at the very least going to be a good shooter from the outside.

They just never bought in on team ball and defense. That's on Kruger.

Man Lattin never got any better.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Two quick questions. Are the transfers afraid that Trade might be staying another year? I don't think so. If Kansas had gotten Trade to commit to them, how might their season have gone?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Two quick questions. Are the transfers afraid that Trade might be staying another year? I don't think so. If Kansas had gotten Trade to commit to them, how might their season have gone?

Self has away of getting good players to be team players. So much of what OU did was let Trey dribble and dribble and dribble and shot.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Pretty much this. I don't care about his stats. Those kinds of shots show a lack of control. It can't be fun as another player to know you can't even get set up because your PG is going to loft it from anywhere.

From what I saw last year, OU looked like a team with some talent that just needed experience, and maybe just getting into the tournament was their next step even without Young. If that were the case, that shows that he really didn't make them that much better overall.

They had talent, they just were not allowed to do much with it. It is hard to get into the flow of the game when you touch the ball so little. There were times OU's wing would be wide open on the 3pt line and Young would make a stupid shot or turn it over. It would be frustrating as a player.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This year was really a lost year for everyone not named Trae Young. And for what? 9th place and an early exit (plus a good draft spot for Trae).

This is pretty much what OU fans at the Big 12 tournament were saying. The team lost heart because of the excessive focus on Young.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Young already declared for the draft

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Self has away of getting good players to be team players. So much of what OU did was let Trey dribble and dribble and dribble and shot.

They had talent, they just were not allowed to do much with it. It is hard to get into the flow of the game when you touch the ball so little. There were times OU's wing would be wide open on the 3pt line and Young would make a stupid shot or turn it over. It would be frustrating as a player.

Incredibly frustrating to play with the NCAA leader in assists.

Reactions: CyTwins