OU’s Coale retires after 25 seasons

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Seems like a great get for the Sooners. She's going to have to hit he ground running with 2021 being the Year of the Transfer. Sooner AD sure dillydallied around in finalizing the hire.

Now that she's broken loose from Drake, and not to a Big 10 team, she's free to takeover Iowa in 10 years.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
She was/is never going to be a hire here in my opinion. If she ever returns to coach in the state of Iowa it will be at University of Iowa. Anyway, the jobs not going to be open for years and I think our AD is likely to give in and hire Billy. I think he views women's sports like a lot of our Cyclone football and MBB fans do, as a nuisance, and Billy would be his easy out.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I think our AD is likely to give in and hire Billy. I think he views women's sports like a lot of our Cyclone football and MBB fans do, as a nuisance, and Billy would be his easy out.
I really hope JP doesn't view our WBB program that way. If he did, it would really hurt the feelings of our die-hard WBB fans.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I really hope JP doesn't view our WBB program that way. If he did, it would really hurt the feelings of our die-hard WBB fans.
Agreed.. But I also wouldn't be upset about Billy getting a shot at the job. From what I hear he really is a good coach and has experience.. So wouldnt be a terrible hire.

Reactions: bozclone

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Will be interesting to see if any current players at Drake follow her. Since I don't follow Drake that close also what about anyone she was recruiting for the coming year. Will they decommit and follow.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Darn it...as others have said I was really hoping she could have taken over for BF at some point down the road. She's a good coach and seems like a good person. I assume she is going to do well at OU and I won't like that a couple of times per season.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
She was/is never going to be a hire here in my opinion. If she ever returns to coach in the state of Iowa it will be at University of Iowa. Anyway, the jobs not going to be open for years and I think our AD is likely to give in and hire Billy. I think he views women's sports like a lot of our Cyclone football and MBB fans do, as a nuisance, and Billy would be his easy out.

Agree 100%.

Will be interesting as to what she hires for assistants. It was really a revolving door for Sherri the last few years. Will be interesting to see if Jenni keeps any of them on, or starts from scratch.

I see her top assistant at Drake being the leading candidate for the Drake job.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Darn it...as others have said I was really hoping she could have taken over for BF at some point down the road. She's a good coach and seems like a good person. I assume she is going to do well at OU and I won't like that a couple of times per season.

OU has been a disaster the last three years due to poor recruiting by Sherri. They lost Mandy Simpson, who grad transferred to Boise State. They appear to have signed a point guard in the 2021 class and that is it. Will need to see if Ana Llanusa comes back for a 5th season after sitting out, or transfers. OU has been hit hard by the transfer and injury bug over the past few years.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will be interesting to see if any current players at Drake follow her. Since I don't follow Drake that close also what about anyone she was recruiting for the coming year. Will they decommit and follow.

Not thinking the Sooners want mid-major players. None of the Drake commits have any national profile do they? Neither ISU or Iowa signed any Iowa HS kids this year. Even in a somewhat weak Big 12 you can't compete night after night with coached up mid-major level players.

No decent forums for Sooners so not sure who they might already have transferring. 800 gals in the portal so lots of possibilities. Edit: see @Three4Cy update in previous thread.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

while I agree she would likely never land at ISU, I def disagree with your assessment of JP's opinion of WBB. It is one of four major athletic draws at ISU.

As for replacing BF someday....I would guess in about 3-4 years...there will always be some up and coming young firebrand. Could Billy get it? Definitely. He will have coaching experience and has shown he can recruit quite well.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Agree 100%.

Will be interesting as to what she hires for assistants. It was really a revolving door for Sherri the last few years. Will be interesting to see if Jenni keeps any of them on, or starts from scratch.

I see her top assistant at Drake being the leading candidate for the Drake job.

She should probably start from scratch with assistants. I don't think the two top Sooner assistants bring anything but name recognition for old fans. She might want to consider staff with regional connections since this ain't her turf since Drake is a destination for small town midwest players, not southwest stars. Going to need some hotshot recruiting to win in Norman.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Seems like a great get for the Sooners. She's going to have to hit he ground running with 2021 being the Year of the Transfer. Sooner AD sure dillydallied around in finalizing the hire.

Now that she's broken loose from Drake, and not to a Big 10 team, she's free to takeover Iowa in 10 years.
I would doubt that now. Coale made $1.4 mil last year, so pretty sure they're paying Baranczyk at least $1 mil to start out. OU is a place, if she and her family like Norman and OKC - that you retire at.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Betcha KJ Kindler (gymnastics) and Patty Gasso (softball) had a hand in recruiting Baranczyk to Norman. What female coach wouldn't want to be part of that group, who are at the top of their sports?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I'll give OU credit.... they hire HOT women bb coaches.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
It's a big loss for Drake for sure. OU now has hired both their MBB and WBB coaches from the Missouri Valley Conference. Coach Jennie's style of play fits OU's tradition under Coach Coale and I guess OU wants to stay that way. A lot of fans have mentioned before that we could hire Coach Jennie after CBF retires.

Home is where the heart is but Norman is where the $ is.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY