OU’s Coale retires after 25 seasons

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I am guessing, since she is only 56 and younger than half the other Big 12 coaches, that she is not voluntarily retiring and is being pushed out. Guessing she might still want to coach but only at Oklahoma so this is dignified way for both parties to end her time at Oklahoma.

Her contract runs through 2024.

Last June, Coale agreed to a contract extension through June 30, 2024. Her most recent salary was $1.33 million.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Since she has three years left on her contract, it'd be hard to see she would leave that much money on the table. There must have been a "behind-the-door" negotiation about a "buyout".

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I will miss having a team that plays ball like we do. Don't try to beat players up buy knocking them all over the court just play "D" and shoot the threes much like we do. Will be interesting to see if any current players leave the program.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Just heard the news that OU MBB head coach Lon Kruger has retired. That's two legendary coaches retiring in back-to-back weeks. It will be huge shoes to fill for OU's AD.

Does anybody have any news about who might be the next OU WBB head coach?

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Been several weeks with no coach. Doesn't seem like a great move with peeps popping into the portal all over the college landscape and some committing on the men's side to new schools already. Maybe now that their AD has picked a new MBB coach he'll get around to filling Coale's spot. Of course if they just wanta screw around and leave the Sooners in limbo that's fine with me.

Haven't heard a peep about since a speculative article from Mechelle Voepel on candidates a few weeks back.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...-candidates-sherri-coale-announces-retirement

Maybe they are looking at an assistant from a team that was still playing or something.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think part of the appeal of Coale (forgetting her looks and talking seriously) was the fact that Fennely and her are such great friends. Combine that with the way she ran her program, not only was it very easy to respect her, but it was also very easy to like her, and it made it very easy to cheer for their success when they weren't on the court with us.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think part of the appeal of Coale (forgetting her looks and talking seriously) was the fact that Fennely and her are such great friends. Combine that with the way she ran her program, not only was it very easy to respect her, but it was also very easy to like her, and it made it very easy to cheer for their success when they weren't on the court with us.
Baylor WBB is the only B12 team in any sport I don’t pull for.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
It's a big loss for Drake for sure. OU now has hired both their MBB and WBB coaches from the Missouri Valley Conference. Coach Jennie's style of play fits OU's tradition under Coach Coale and I guess OU wants to stay that way. A lot of fans have mentioned before that we could hire Coach Jennie after CBF retires.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron