OU’s Coale retires after 25 seasons

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Good for her to go out on her schedule. I will miss seeing her on the sidelines.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I actually thought she had redeemed herself this year at least to the extent to merit another year. She played the spoiler role and won several games nobody thought she could with only 7 players. Going down to Austin and winning there made headline news. Poor recruiting. Fan base had lost interest. And it seemed putting her son on the coaching staff was a very unpopular move among Sooner fans. So she rides off into the sunset with her hair stylist at her side. Who's next?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Will be strange not seeing her in Ames. It all adds up - they were an on-call team for the NCAA tournament and last night at 6:00PM was the cut. When no one dropped out, it meant their season was over since they did not accept at WNIT bid.

Leaves a decent roster, the new coach will come in with several quality players, and they get Ana Llunasa back from her redshirt year if she chooses to play her final season.

Will be interesting to see what happens with her son and where he lands.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I thought she was one of the best coaches in the women's division, but a lot of fire and grit too, and one of the best looking female coaches to ever coach.

• Agree
Reactions: dafarmer

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They rallied pretty well considering the Covid disruptions, off-season controversy and a short roster. Seems they really focused on playing some defense to go with her offense and they were able to turn things around some. I am just going to go and guess that her fire for dealing with all of this was sort of extinguished even though she's only 56, two years younger than Mulkey. BTW Schaefer's 60, Fennelly's 63, Carey's 63, Littel's 65....lot of old guys coaching in Big 12.

Will be a interesting to see who OU is able to hire. Should still be a good job but no easy task to return to the leagues top with Baylor being Baylor and Texas likely to be on the rise and ISU and WVU holding steady.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

There are lots of links on the OU Athletics WBB website. Most are subscription only, but you can see the "pictures" from past to present. Wonderful tribute!

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I'm surprised but not shocked. I thought with OU ending the season on a high note, maybe Sherri Coale gets another year. It's undeniable that the OU WBB program has been trending downward for several years. There's been a lot of pressure from their fanbase with higher expectations, plus the controversy last year didn't help. I guess she chose the high road by retiring (another way to say "part ways") instead of getting fired.

Sheri Coale has been one of my favorite coaches and a dear friend of Coach Fen's. She left OU with tremendous accomplishments and a great legacy. It's sad to see her retire at such young age. I'm gonna miss her coaching from the sidelines. Maybe ESPN can hire her to be a TV commentator.

It'd be interesting to see who OU hires as the next head coach. I think they should give Jackie Stiles a serious consideration.

Here's the video of the entire press conference.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...herri-coales-full-retirement-press-conference

Here's the video of Coach Coale's speech.

Last edited:

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I’m not sure she was pushed out. She’s got to be exhausted and tired of it all.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I'm surprised but not shocked. I thought with OU ending the season on a high note, maybe Sherri Coale gets another year. It's undeniable that the OU WBB program has been trending downward for several years. There's been a lot of pressure from their fanbase with higher expectations, plus the controversy last year didn't help. I guess she chose the high road by retiring (another way to say "part ways") instead of getting fired.

Sheri Coale has been one of my favorite coaches and a dear friend of Coach Fen's. She left OU with tremendous accomplishments and a great legacy. It's sad to see her retire at such young age. I'm gonna miss her coaching from the sidelines. Maybe ESPN can hire her to be a TV commentator.

It'd be interesting to see who OU hires as the next head coach. I think they should give Jackie Stiles a serious consideration.

Here's the video of the entire press conference.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...herri-coales-full-retirement-press-conference

Here's the video of Coach Coale's speech.

Thanks for posting this. I am awed by her composure and her choice of words and her sincerity. And yes, her hair is pretty awesome, too!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I’m not sure she was pushed out. She’s got to be exhausted and tired of it all.

I am guessing, since she is only 56 and younger than half the other Big 12 coaches, that she is not voluntarily retiring and is being pushed out. Guessing she might still want to coach but only at Oklahoma so this is dignified way for both parties to end her time at Oklahoma.