Otzelberger's First Recruiting/Transfer Class - FULL

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

Torvick is out with his next season projections.. #200 in D1 so far (Iowa falls to #117 and UNI is #67)

Currently has Hunter averaging 10 points per game and 3.3 assists. Foster is avg: 4.5 points and 4.2 rebounds. I'd sign up right now for 10/5 from Tyrese Hunter. I'm mortgaging every family members house I can to bet the over on Foster's numbers

I'd also sign up today for Jaz to be a 9/6 player for us

Leading scorers in his model are Javon Johnson (13.5/game) and Tre Jackson(10.6/game)... LOL

Missing Blake Hinson

View attachment 83838
Can't decide if Tre averaging more than 10pts would be a good thing or bad thing for us.

Reactions: WastedTalent

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Can't decide if Tre averaging more than 10pts would be a good thing or bad thing for us.

Naz went from 1.4 to 7 ppg freshman to soph year. There was a long of angst around him initially. Now people want him as a future coach.

What I am saying is maybe Tre will make strides- I'm reserving ALL negative judgments on all these guys because I think CSP really set them back a lot. I don't think anyone got any effective coaching on defense, shot selection, etc.

Maybe I am too optimistic on the players and too hard on CSP & staff, but I'd rather err along those lines anyway.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Naz went from 1.4 to 7 ppg freshman to soph year. There was a long of angst around him initially. Now people want him as a future coach.

What I am saying is maybe Tre will make strides- I'm reserving ALL negative judgments on all these guys because I think CSP really set them back a lot. I don't think anyone got any effective coaching on defense, shot selection, etc.

Maybe I am too optimistic on the players and too hard on CSP & staff, but I'd rather err along those lines anyway.

I think some of the returners could make very big strides under Blount and Green.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not directing this at you Pride: Just curious where this “Tre Jackson, elite perimeter defender” hive mind came from?

I don't believe he is elite. Just think he can be solid. He's definitely active, and I don't remember him getting burned too often (though our defense was such a mess at times that all bets were off once someone was beaten off the dribble).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't believe he is elite. Just think he can be solid. He's definitely active, and I don't remember him getting burned too often (though our defense was such a mess at times that all bets were off once someone was beaten off the dribble).
I think of it like this with Jackson defensively: He was like a dandelion amongst weeds.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
So true. It's so dependent on who, and how much, someone is averaging more than him.
I'll sign up for:
Transfer 14+
Hinson 13+
Foster 10+
Hunter 10+
Then Jackson at 10

Seems unlikely though with 5 guys at 10+ That's some Fred and Niang team's level offense.

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
go back and watch the games. His man rarely scored. He was everywhere on defense. His offense is in question. But Tre Jackson is an elite defender.

100% completely disagree with this statement. I watched some ISU games, and I specifically watched defense. Tre Jackson was constantly going around screens, instead of under them. He was constantly late to get out to the shooters because he sagged off them so much. He was way to slow to stop dribble penetration, and NEVER rebounded or boxed out. He is not an elite defender, he is not an average defender, he is a BAD defender.
If you go back and watch some conference games, you will see the same thing. I encourage you to watch the TTU game if you still think he is an elite defender.
He also shot 27% from 3 this year, but that is another conversation.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
100% completely disagree with this statement. I watched some ISU games, and I specifically watched defense. Tre Jackson was constantly going around screens, instead of under them. He was constantly late to get out to the shooters because he sagged off them so much. He was way to slow to stop dribble penetration, and NEVER rebounded or boxed out. He is not an elite defender, he is not an average defender, he is a BAD defender.
If you go back and watch some conference games, you will see the same thing. I encourage you to watch the TTU game if you still think he is an elite defender.
He also shot 27% from 3 this year, but that is another conversation.
He's an active defender and seems to play hard out there, but I mostly agree with this. I do think with more effective coaching that channels his energy out there, though, that Tre could become an effective defender.