Otzelberger's First Recruiting/Transfer Class - FULL

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Jalen Cone to Northern Arizona. With his list, you have to assume he didn’t have an offer from most of those schools.
Must be one of those situations that Chris talks about where schools contact a player but that doesn't mean there is an offer.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
I should have hit my sarcasm emoji. I don’t believe there is one person affiliated with ISU that hasn’t heard the story of Georges and Noel about a thousand times.
Every color commentator mentions old man moves and teammates with Noel.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
CTO - "Little GTO" rattling around in my brain

Little CTO, you're really lookin' fine
Three guards and a four, and a big ole 5

Wa-wa, (mixed with "Yeah, yeah, little CTO") wa, wa, wa, wa, wa, wa
Beach Boys? I want a link! Haha

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Anybody remember what kind of team the '91 Ames/Hoiberg team was? What was their final record, any other D1 players?

From my memory, 30 years later, one of the guards was really good, went on to play D2 at St. Thomas I think where they may have won a D2 NC. One of the forwards was also really good, walked on at Iowa but didn't really play, ended up walking on their baseball team as a pitcher and played a few years. One of the juniors on the team was a good friend of mine, he went to UNI on scholarship but didn't end up playing a whole lot, think he ended up getting burnt out on it. They had big man, 6'8-6'9ish who was not all that athletic, may have ended up at a JC or lower level. And of course who could forget my buddy Bona Leuth, played quite a bit on that team, pretty talented too. He went in other directions after high school.

They lost 2 or 3 games that season but dominated at the state tournament, beat Indianola with Chris Street, DM North with Beechum.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I had to move the list to posts 1 and 2. Am I missing anyone? Trying to delete anyone who doesn't commit to the good guys
Thank you again for doing this thread and monitoring/updating it!

I think it's a great idea to update your current info in posts #1 and 2. That seems the most logical to me.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
CTO does work because the T wouldn’t have to represent Thomas or Tom, the T would represent TJ.
Not to mention the general practice of making an initialism with "C" for coach is really dumb, especially when a guy already has a two letter initialism that makes it clear who he is.

CMC, CFH, CSP...Just dumb. MC, Fred, Prohm, TJ...it's not like these are long things to type.

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
Not to mention the general practice of making an initialism with "C" for coach is really dumb, especially when a guy already has a two letter initialism that makes it clear who he is.

CMC, CFH, CSP...Just dumb. MC, Fred, Prohm, TJ...it's not like these are long things to type.
"Moon Family Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz" does take quite a bit of effort though!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Noticing that Wisc, Nebr, and Kansas all supposedly contacting Drake's transfer Yesefu. Am I missing something about our returning team, that he wouldn't fit on it? Wondering if we made any contact there.
I really think the staff is all in on Hunter and hasn't been connected with any PGs due to a belief he can play right away and to not put competition that could cause him to waiver on his commitment. We haven't seen the staff going after any PG's let alone Yesefu.
As we know contact doesn't mean necessarily mean offer, especially if is Yesefu's camp providing the info. Also he may have no interest in ISU.
Taking Yesefu may also impact the staff's recruiting of Tamin Lipsey.
I guess that's why the coaching staff makes the big bucks. They have to look at the big picture, and how all the pieces may fit together. They know best what Tyrese Hunter is thinking and where his skill set fits in. Same with Tamin.
I know the coaching staff wants them both, one year apart which is perfect.

On the other hand the staff needs to recruit another PG now, for the upcoming year, IMO. If Hunter has made it clear to TJ that he wants to be the man, recruit a PG/Combo guard who can run the team as #2 or in emergency if injury, but play a lot. Gotta have atleast two PG's IMO. Understand Walker is working toward this also.

If Tyrese is a solid ISU regardless, recruit a 1 yr PG similar to Kane? Who of us wouldn't like a similar scenario to what Kane was and did, while Monte was a Freshman?

The most obvious to me, would be to recruit a combo/PG type for this year, realizing Hunter would likely start. Unless of course you can get a Kane-type who might want to come here for final year, tough to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride