OTA TV Antenna (roof top with Directv)

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
If you are not running to a directv receiver, you can just unhook the rooms needed for OTA from the DTV splitter and hook those to a different splitter. You wouldn't need a diplexer if you did that.

This is true. It all depends on where the splitter between the SWM8 and receivers is. If you can get to it from the antenna directly that is better than using the SWM8 and diplexors. But if there is only one line off the roof to someplace inside (and you don't want to run another one) you have to use the SWM8 off air port and it will require a diplexor on the other end even if plugged directly into a TV.

I have an AM21 and it works great. In the past, you needed one for EACH TV that you wanted to receive OTA local channels on. Now, if you have a Genie, you only need to have one AM21 and the Genie will feed to all your receivers.

This brings up another issue. I don't think you can diplex an OTA feed and use the whole home Genie stuff over the same cable. You can do one or the other but not both. So to use a single AM21 I think you need a dedicated line from the off air antenna to the Genie. I don't personally use DirecTV's whole home solution so I'm basing this off of what I've heard and I certainly could be wrong.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
This is true. It all depends on where the splitter between the SWM8 and receivers is. If you can get to it from the antenna directly that is better than using the SWM8 and diplexors. But if there is only one line off the roof to someplace inside (and you don't want to run another one) you have to use the SWM8 off air port and it will require a diplexor on the other end even if plugged directly into a TV.

This brings up another issue. I don't think you can diplex an OTA feed and use the whole home Genie stuff over the same cable. You can do one or the other but not both. So to use a single AM21 I think you need a dedicated line from the off air antenna to the Genie. I don't personally use DirecTV's whole home solution so I'm basing this off of what I've heard and I certainly could be wrong.
It looks like from the pic above (although for some reason I can't blow it up and can only see the thumbnail) that the existing splitter is outside and easily accessible. If this is the case and he doesn't want the OTA signal going to any DTV receivers, a diplexer won't be needed.

Help Support Us

Become a patron