OT: The Haunting of Bly Manor

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Last two episodes were a pretty big change in tone from the first 7. Good stories on their own but felt very separate from what came before.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I personally preferred Bly Manor to Hill House. Different series for sure, but the story in Bly Manor was so well crafted. You did have to put some effort in to track with the way the "tucked away" scenes get tangled int. The way things all pieced together was fantastic though, IMO.

My one grip (and it's minor) is the casting of the "older" versions of the main characters. You could piece it together when they reveal that the people listing to the story being told are Owen, Flora, Myles, Henry, etc. but come on... Old Owen looked nothing like Owen and certainly not like 20 years older Owen! Same for Jamie/Henry.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I personally preferred Bly Manor to Hill House. Different series for sure, but the story in Bly Manor was so well crafted. You did have to put some effort in to track with the way the "tucked away" scenes get tangled int. The way things all pieced together was fantastic though, IMO.

My one grip (and it's minor) is the casting of the "older" versions of the main characters. You could piece it together when they reveal that the people listing to the story being told are Owen, Flora, Myles, Henry, etc. but come on... Old Owen looked nothing like Owen and certainly not like 20 years older Owen! Same for Jamie/Henry.

Your gripe is spot on. Old Owen was nowhere close and it threw me from the start. If he had been anything close to a match I might have caught that she was talking to older versions of them MUCH sooner.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneman003

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Since Peter never had a chance to empty his boss’ bank account, who stole the money? Or did I miss something?

I believe, and I could be wrong, but Peter DID transfer the money, just got killed before he could run off and spend it. They didn't know where he transferred it to so they weren't able to retrieve it. So they assumed he got away with it. That's why no one assumed he was dead.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It may be recency bias, but I think I liked Bly better than Hill House. I think the overall story worked together even though some of the Hill House results were more shocking. Both are still great and I'm glad they could take different approaches and make them both into great stories.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I felt something was missing with the ex-fiance story. Maybe I missed something.

A pretty good series overall though - very good writing and acting. Not crap your pants scary as Hill House, but still good.

Last edited:

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I enjoyed both of these series. Hill was much more of a riveting story to me than Bly. Would agree that Hill is scarier, though I didn't find either of them particularly scary.

Some of the dream hopping sequences were unnecessarily confusing and overcomplicated. Perhaps that was partly strategy to help us feel the characters' confusion. I would have liked to see a little more detailed out on how being "tucked away" worked and also how the doll house was utilized. But, some stuff has to be cut for time so I get it.

The accents of the characters were a little distracting, but I rolled right from Hill to Bly so that probably wouldn't be so disjointed if you watched them separated by a little time. Particularly, I thought Dani's accent was a little "off" to me.

I do recommend both series to people to watch.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Damn, @mapnerd spoiler alert.

As for the backstory, I think he was just a tool to use to show her guilt LGBT people often felt back then (and probably still do) for realizing her attraction to women. The “haunting” I think was more just a symbol of that guilt.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Damn, @mapnerd spoiler alert.

As for the backstory, I think he was just a tool to use to show her guilt LGBT people often felt back then (and probably still do) for realizing her attraction to women. The “haunting” I think was more just a symbol of that guilt.
Whoops, that was my fault. Edited now. Still too spoilery?

I agree with your spoiler tag statement as well. It ended up being a pretty big part of the story.