OT: Since it's so close to Halloween...what's your favorite classic scary movie?

Favorite Classic Scary Movie?

• Halloween (1978)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • The Exorcist

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • The Omen

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Psycho

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • The Shining

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Alien

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Poltergeist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rosemary's Baby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I voted 'other' because I think Jaws holds up for me. We spend half the movie only guessing and not seeing what's actually happening and then it all changes when we hear the boy from the raft screaming under water.
The scariest thing in that is when the face pops into that hole in the boat while they're underwater. I swear it's an edit - from no head in one frame - to full face in the next, it happens so fast.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
At first viewing, I was thoroughly put off because Kubrick had changed so many of the story elements. But upon repeated viewings, I discovered that I did enjoy his version.....with the exception of Jack's descent into madness. It just seemed to happen too fast.

Have you watched the doc Room 237? Pretty fascinating stuff.

Most def, highly recommend.

To me, they've always been totally separate. (just my opinion, I could be off base)

King = The Overlook Hotel

Kubrick = Jack Torrance

With regard to time / speed, it would be great to see what Kubrick would do now with the advent of stuff like Netflix that would allow him to make films (in pieces) as long as he wanted to make them.

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
I think psychological horror is the ultimate, because so many times our imagination is left to run wild. Graphic gory horror is fine, but eventually you find yourself becoming blase, and wanting even more.

One film I would present in that regard is The Banshee Chapter, which dealt with the experimental use of hallucinogens during Project MKUltra (Google it!), and the resulting problems. The director skates right to the edge of letting us see something, and our minds are left to fill in the blanks. Which in most cases ends up being something far scarier than could be presented on film.

I agree. I think our imaginations can think of far scarier things than what some films show us on screen. Psych horror will also be far scarier to me than slasher films/jump scares. Once you know the scary parts, the film isn't really that scary on second viewing. Psych horror can linger and be scary time and time again.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Halloween is my favorite. It was amazingly well done for it’s time, and holds up extremely well. The opening scene is absolutely incredible, and the killer having free reign throughout the neighborhood, regardless of time of day, is creepy as hell. Also the music is amazing.

Scream is also a really well done movie, and would be up there for me. To me, it follows a very similar theme as Halloween, and the fact it’s made so literally everyone could be the suspect is great. The comedic timing is also well done. When you find out there are 2 killers? That, to my knowledge, had never been done before.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Imo the old movies that didn't showcase crazy background music were that much scarier. NOTLD does this in a few scenes and it's what makes Texas Chainsaw Massacre work too.
Was thinking the same thing. The moments of sparse sound and absence of music I find effective. I also liked more use of daytime for the scary stuff. I know movies have long since blown through those conventions, you have to give a nod to the early ones.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don’t care for jump scare movies. Use of them is fine, but a movie has to have much more than that or I don’t like it. I am much more a fan of building tension and foreboding. Generally I think the 70s movies did a great job with that. For whatever reason I also found them to be much creepier and unsettling. Deliverance, Exorcist, and to a lesser extent The Shining just seem to affect me a lot more. I dislike the slasher movies, though the originals were definitely more than what the genre became.

I also try to remember seeing a movie for the first time when trying to evaluate it. For example, know it is totally not cool to say, but the first time I watched Blair Witch Project it was pretty damn scary to me and I really liked it.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I like scary and suspenseful, like The Shining, Alien, and Exorcist. I don't care for gory, just for the sake of gore. To me, they aren't scary and just not fun to watch.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like scary and suspenseful, like The Shining, Alien, and Exorcist. I don't care for gory, just for the sake of gore. To me, they aren't scary and just not fun to watch.

The jump scare movies usually have the dumbest characters that turn into victims. It's why I stopped following shows like the TWD as I started disliking more characters all the time.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Of more recent movies, if you haven't seen The Descent...watch it. I would put that as the scariest movie of the past two decades.
Good movie

I love horror movies. Unfortunately there is a lot more junk out there than not.
I voted for Alien, not sure why because I've enjoyed all of those. Maybe I should have chosen "other" as the original Night of the Living Dead wasn't included.
Also Haute Tension. I saw that in the theater and was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Good movie

I love horror movies. Unfortunately there is a lot more junk out there than not.
I voted for Alien, not sure why because I've enjoyed all of those. Maybe I should have chosen "other" as the original Night of the Living Dead wasn't included.
Also Haute Tension. I saw that in the theater and was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Haute Tension is fantastic.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I wouldn't put Alien in the same category as these other films; more of a sci-fi flick.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's super 'campy' yes, pun intended but I didn't know about the cult horror movie 'Sleepaway Camp' until the last two years or so.

It's kind of standard slasher stuff but the plot twist at the end is at least very...interesting.

Maybe we should have a 'terribly campy' movies thread.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Disagree. It's a tried and true haunted house movie set in space. Pure horror.
No difference between how the Alien engages with it's victims and how Michael Meyers did...

And there's the tag line... In space, no one can hear you scream.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I like a lot of those movies listed. Voted for Alien, though I would have voted for "the Thing" (1982) had it been on the list. Definitely a fan of a lot of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: arobb

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron