OT: RIP Iowa-born Oscar/Emmy/Golden Globe winner Cloris Leachman

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Leachman along with Madeline Kahn and Betty White are comic royalty that spanned decades. Leachman was a 22 time Emmy nominee with 8 wins and an Oscar winner for Last Picture Show as well. She and Julia Louis-Dreyfus are tied with the most Emmy noms for a female in history.

What's your favorite performance of hers?

Tough to top Young Frankenstein and Phyllis from Mary Tyler Moore.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
So, hold up, and try following along.

My husband's grandpa is still around at 92. (God bless 'im) Grandpa has an older sister who's 93 or 94, and she makes a daily post on Facebook. I wake up this morning to one of my husband's aunts posting on the great aunt's wall saying "Aunt [Name], I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your long time friend Cloris Leachman. I know Cloris was in your wedding party..."

Ya learn something new everyday.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Her family owned a lumber company that was on Douglas in Urbandale. Not sure if it is still in business. I think her brothers who ran the business have passed.

https://www.leachmanlumber.com/

The Beginning
Leachman Lumber Company was founded on August 10, 1921, by Robert C. Leachman along with his brother Berkley “Buck” and father Robert P. Leachman. (Fun fact: Berkley was the father of Cloris Leachman. Yes, that Cloris Leachman.) The original building was more or less a small shed located at 1933 Hubbell Ave. and was leased from F.M. Hubbell. Robert’s vision was clear and his success imminent. His goal was to become the premier supplier for the area contractors and homebuilders. It should be noted that the company survived the Great Depression with the hard work of the two brothers and an occasional forgiveness of rent by Mr. Hubbell.

The second generation of the Leachman family entered the business in 1953, when Mark C. Leachman joined the company calling on homebuilders and general contractors. In 1957, his brother, John D. Leachman started with the company in sales and marketing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron