OT: 'IT' reviews coming in/opens this week

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
What people think is scary varies so much, just like humor I guess. I didn't necessarily think it was incredibly scary but there were parts that were great tense moments. I thought Curry was a horrible Pennywise so Skarsgaard was an upgrade to me. Kids were all great but the one liners got a tad cumbersome. I was expecting pretty awful from the time this was announced at being remade so my expectations were pretty low. I was pleasantly surprised. Is it one of my favorite movies this year? Nope. But it's worth seeing, like you said.
I have low expectations for ALL remakes. Most of them suck! And then it ruins the original a bit for me. Hell, I have low expectations for all movies nowadays because there are very few movies each year that I actually like. Hollywood is out of original ideas. It's all remakes and comic book movies now. I'm working on writing some stuff and really want to be a film maker. Got a ton of great ideas. Although I hate remakes, I do have an idea for one.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I have low expectations for ALL remakes. Most of them suck! And then it ruins the original a bit for me. Hell, I have low expectations for all movies nowadays because there are very few movies each year that I actually like. Hollywood is out of original ideas. It's all remakes and comic book movies now. I'm working on writing some stuff and really want to be a film maker. Got a ton of great ideas. Although I hate remakes, I do have an idea for one.

Off Topic, but you should check out The Big Sick. Great original, genuine movie. And I've heard Baby Driver was awesome too, though I haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: demoncore1031

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
What people think is scary varies so much, just like humor I guess. I didn't necessarily think it was incredibly scary but there were parts that were great tense moments. I thought Curry was a horrible Pennywise so Skarsgaard was an upgrade to me. Kids were all great but the one liners got a tad cumbersome. I was expecting pretty awful from the time this was announced at being remade so my expectations were pretty low. I was pleasantly surprised. Is it one of my favorite movies this year? Nope. But it's worth seeing, like you said.

The most recent movie I saw that actually put a little fear into me was Hell House LLC. Would be interested to hear your thoughts. I believe it's on Amazon and on demand. Found footage but done perfectly.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Is it a masterpiece? No. Was I disappointed? Not at all. Very entertaining & I'll definitely be seeing it again.

It's hard to pick and choose which elements of Steven King's lengthy stories to exclude/include or add originality to.

King spent a lot of time developing the characters in Henry Bowers' gang and they were kind of side tracked in this movie. Will be interesting to see what they do with Henry in chapter II.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Reviews I have read and heard from people have been positive, especially the acting. Overall I am mixed on King. I tend to love the stories mostly and the delivery is great, but the climax and resolution usually go way too far off the rails for me. IT is that to the extreme for me. Still, I have to see it.

I would agree with that assessment.......however, I just got done reading "Doctor Sleep" (the sequel to The Shining) and the denoument was not nearly as overblown as what I am used to with King. Actually it was kind of a letdown.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Saw it Monday night. I really liked it. I thought it stayed really true to the book and the child actors were phenomenal. I started getting sick of Richie, then remembered I hated him in the book too, so I marked that one up for great acting.

One thing I wish they would have done was use Pennywise more. His opening scene was great, but aside from that he was mostly used for jump scares. I read the book a long time ago but I remember him interacting with the kids more and I wish that would have happened. It felt like the horror scenes were from a standard horror movie whereas the acting was from something like Stand By Me or the Goonies.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Is it a masterpiece? No. Was I disappointed? Not at all. Very entertaining & I'll definitely be seeing it again.

It's hard to pick and choose which elements of Steven King's stories to exclude/include or add originality to.

King spent a lot of time developing the characters in Henry Bowers' gang and they were kind of side tracked in this movie. Will be interesting to see what they do with Henry in chapter II.

Yeah, really hard to translate to film, as I'd describe the atmosphere of the book more as one of dread than as scary. They made allusions to the rot at the core of Derry, but the book was expansive on that point (that the entire city and culture was as evil as the thing that lived among them due to It's corruption). King probably had 10 more mini-stories to expand on that theme that couldn't be included in the movie (or it would grow too long).

Possibly the toughest part to translate (though they did as good of job as I think you could) was the theme of the magic of childhood, where experiences are all so incredibly strong whether good or bad, and also how that magic enabled them to see It when no one else could (and ultimately fight It off). To me, King's creation of that magic was what made the book so good.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Possibly the toughest part to translate (though they did as good of job as I think you could) was the theme of the magic of childhood, where experiences are all so incredibly strong whether good or bad, and also how that magic enabled them to see It when no one else could (and ultimately fight It off. To me, King's creation of that magic was what made the book so good.

^Yeah, that right there.^ The 1990 version actually put an explanation into Bill's dialogue: Why can't the adults see it? "You grow up, you stop believing."

The only example I saw was Beverly's father being unable to see the blood and the empty gun having an effect on Pennywise. In the novel, Richie was able to fight Pennywise with his impersonations. "Beep beep, Richie" was said only once by Pennywise, I believe, with no explanation to the origins of the phrase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just finished reading the book last night, so I'm looking forward to this seeing this one. Glad to see the early positive reviews.

I only vaguely remember the TV mini-series. All I do remember was that it scared the crap out of me as a kid. I think much like the characters in the book, my mind made me forget so I could cope. lol!

IT tv mini series was an epic piece of media from my childhood. Even as a kid I remember thinking "how on earth is this on regular tv???".

I'd kind of like to see 'it' again to see how it's held up.

Reactions: DeftOne

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
IT tv mini series was an epic piece of media from my childhood. Even as a kid I remember thinking "how on earth is this on regular tv???".

I'd kind of like to see 'it' again to see how it's held up.
Not well.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Spoilers in this post!

One thing I did love was the line from Henry Bowers' dad that said "Ain't nothing like a little fear to make a paper man crumble" and it eluded to it in the climax where Pennywise became afraid of starving because he didn't scare them anymore and literally started to crumble as he fell back into the well. As soon as I heard the line I said I loved it, and then to see it come together like that I thought was an excellent piece of writing.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I went and saw IT last night. Overall, I liked it, but didn't necessarily love it. By far, my favorite part of the movie was the child interactions with each other in a Goonies/Stand by Me/ET and the nostalgic Spielberg feel the movie portrayed. However, while I enjoyed the clown part of it, I didn't necessarily find him as compelling or scary as I originally thought I would. I also found his backstory to be a bit all over the place and confusing for someone like me who hasn't read the books. However, maybe some of that is just yet to be explained in the second movie. Regardless, I still really enjoyed the movie and I'm not a horror guy at all. If any horror movie was up my alley though, this is the one as it really isn't just a horror movie.