OT- Homebuying

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I presume that the state of Iowa doesn't license "Home Inspectors."

They do in Alaska and most lenders mandate that their services be used before an appraisal will be ordered. The inspectors review the house for safety and health issues and also look for code violations. They issue a written report detailing their findings. If health and safety issues are noted they must be remedied. In addition, the home inspector is required to update his/her report documenting that the problems have been remedied.

Energy audits are also frequently done in this area. However, you can typically get just as much information from getting detailed utility records from the seller.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
*Update*

Well, the seller went and got estimates of his own, which actually ended up being more expensive than the estimate we got. So what does this frickin guy do? He says, ok, I'll give you $2k (about 1/3 of the total cost of replacement) of the roof. He then said, if we don't accept, he'll get the roof fixed and then sell the house for more. Yeah, like someone who has seen the house listed at a lower price is all the sudden going to pay more for a roof that should have been replaced 10 years ago. Man, first time homebuying sucks!

I have a question for you Snowcraig, are you buying the home from the homeowner or are you buying it from a reality company? The reason I ask is because I used to do carpentry work there in Cedar Rapids. I actually did trim work for Skogman Homes and I was just curious who this may be. Pretty crappy of the guy to even say that. I actually did a lot of work to the newer homes there in Bowman Woods.

But I agree with the guys that said to maybe run from the home. This guy is obviously just out to make money on the home. He wants a quick fix and is hoping that he could or can find someone that will buy it without hassle.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Bowman woods.... decent neighborhood... until last week I used to live about 2 miles from there (in Robins)

I've never bought a house so take this little tibit or don't - but when my parents bought the house in Robins they found all sorts of little suprises... so if you're seeing that much, there is probally a lot more you're not seeing and won't see until it's too late

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I presume that the state of Iowa doesn't license "Home Inspectors."

They do in Alaska and most lenders mandate that their services be used before an appraisal will be ordered. The inspectors review the house for safety and health issues and also look for code violations. They issue a written report detailing their findings. If health and safety issues are noted they must be remedied. In addition, the home inspector is required to update his/her report documenting that the problems have been remedied.

Energy audits are also frequently done in this area. However, you can typically get just as much information from getting detailed utility records from the seller.

Walking through with the home inspector is one of the smartest things I've ever done. I've done it 3 times now, and feel confident buying my house.

When we get back, we're going to put on new siding and put on a steel roof.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
*update*

Well, believe it or not, the guy caved! He is providing a new roof, plus $2k on top of it! So, we are getting the house!

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
*update*

Well, believe it or not, the guy caved! He is providing a new roof, plus $2k on top of it! So, we are getting the house!

Yep. That's what I thought would happen.

Houses with bad roofs don't usually make a hot seller. He's lucky you didn't walk on him on G.P.

I hope you enjoy your home. :smile:

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
*update*

Sounds like good news. I'd make sure that you protect yourself before signing the closing documents. Ask for verification from both the contractor and material supplier that they have been paid so that there is no chance of a lein coming back against the property to bite you. Not likely to happen, but it costs nothing to cover your bases.